Premed 101 Forums

Letter Arrived...completely Bummed

Guest PeterHill0501

Guest PeterHill0501

Good morning everyone...

Well, here was the text of my letter:

Dear Mr Hill,

Your application for admission to the Faculty of Medicine for the academic year 2002-2003 was carefully considered by the Admissions Committee. At the present time offers have been made to the top 123 candidates on the basis of their composite score.

Your name has been placed on a waiting list. However, I must inform you, that given your rank on this list, you are unlikely to receive an offer.

You will be notified by telephone or letter at your permanent address if your name appears at the top of the list, should a vacancy occur before September.

As soon as we receive 123 firm acceptances, candidates on the waiting list will be notified.

Although the sequential order of the waiting list does not change, rankings will change on a daily basis as students confirm acceptances. For this reason, candidates are requested NOT TO CALL OUR OFFICE for their ranking position since this information cannot be given.

If you are offered admission to another medical school (outside the province) and wish to withdraw your name from our list, please advise us in writing.

Yours sincerely,

Richard L. Hebert, M.Sc., Ph.D.,

Assistant Dean, Admissions

RLH/nl

Good luck to all you guys...I hope to see you next year!

Guest Peter Hill Fan

Dear Peter,

I'm so sorry to hear about your bad waitlist letter...

It's been said so many times before on this board, getting into med school relies on luck to a certain degree depending on who your interviewers were, their mood on that one day, your mood on that one day etc. etc.....

There is still some hope... Just in case, though I know a bunch of people who come to this board are rooting for u to get in next year though.. ;)

Cheers. Happy drinking. :)

Guest PeterHill0501

Thanks very much...

...I'm quite bummed...but I guess I'll just have to ask for feedback...improve my sketch...interview, etc., and go back and kick a$$ again next year!

Peter

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there Peter,

I just read your post, above, and that's a real bummer. I'm sorry and I truly feel for you. However, if it's any solace, at least you've been through all the hoops in order to prepare well in advance to kick some application bum next year.

All the best,

Kirsteen

Guest PeterHill0501

Thanks Kirsteen...I'll definitely be back...thankfully I have a good job to fall back on...good luck to you this coming year...I look forward to continuing to interact with you here...

Keep in touch.

Peter

I too am I fan of your posts. I was really rooting for you. I am giving up my spot of Ottawa if I get into TO. I wish I could give it to you. Last year I did not get a single interview - this year I got five. The admissions process is so funny and random - you just never know what will happen. I have no doubt after reading your posts that you would be an excellent physcian and that you really really wanted this. I have been there and done that - I really empathize with you. Please Please don't give up...

Do you have any other offers pending???

Guest PeterHill0501

Fan,

Thanks for the support...unfortunately, the only school I want to go to is Ottawa U. You can be sure I won't give up...I'm kinda stubborn with respect to achieving goals. Hey, there are some people in here who have applied several times in a row and are just finally getting interviews...let alone offers...I'm happy to hear some of them are getting offers this year...and I intend to get one next year!

Peter

Guest BC guy

Peter:

I am so so sorry to hear the sad news. Good for you reapplying next year. The various posts you had written and your genuine willingness to help others show what a great doctor you will make one day. God bless.

Have you tried volunteering for St. John Ambulance? They are a really great organization that will give you lots of medical and clinical experience. In all of my interviews - they seemed really impressed by it and that is all I talked about during my interviews. It is great prep for meds.... And looks good on an application - and lets face it - that's what gets you in...

Guest Josiane Nawar

Hi Peter,

I am terribly sorry to hear the sad news. I also am an avid reader of your postings :) and was really rooting for you. I don't want to sound redundant, but, as everyone above has said, don't despair, and i'm sure you'll kick as next year.

One thing caught my attention however. You mention that Ottawa U is the only school that you want to attend. WATCH OUT: they'll never admit to this, but med school DO check where else applicants apply. They DO. And if they see that you only apply to one school, they might misinterpret this as a lack of initiative or desire to study medicine. Their rationale is " if a student really wants to go to med school, he/she will apply to lots of schools and will go wherever they need to accomplish this goal". I say this because i myself didn't want to go anywhere but Ottawa U. However, being aware of this policy, i also applied to Mac and Queens.

Therefore I strongly, strongly (can't stress that enough) suggest that you apply to at least Mac next year, in addition to Ottawa. And why not just take the MCAT so you can apply elsewhere? I wrote the MCAT telling myself that if I screwed up it didn't really matter because i only want to go to Ottawa U. So i was relaxed, and i did well.

You really want to be a physician. Now it's time to show them you're determined.

best of luck, and i really hope to finally meet you in med school next year ;)

Josiane

Guest mtws

Where is my F***ing mail!!!!!!!!!

I am losing my mind. Of all days the mailman (actually mailwoman - I've been stalking her... :) ) decides to be late.

I nonchalant'ly went off to the college and taught my class, which ended at noon, and then raced home like a madman to get the mail. NO MAIL. What the heck is goin' on, it is 1220hrs already. I'm going to have a beer and sit out front until it comes. (that makes three days in a row of drinking beer - do I have a problem??? just kidding)

Peter,

I am so sorry for you. I was really hoping you'd make it this year. You really do deserve it. Speaking as someone who has had a beer with you, you really are a kind soul with life experience unmatched in this application pool. You will make an excellent physician. Your kindness shows best in the way your children respect and love you. Next year, it will happen for you. I just know it.

Fingers still crossed,

Matt

Guest PeterHill0501

Ian,

Great advice...in fact, as soon as I got my letter this morning I gave the brigade a call to find out how to volunteer for them. Nobody answered...I left a message. I plan on doing exactly that. If you have info specific to how to get on board in Ottawa I'd love to hear from you...you can either post here or click on my user name to get my private email.

Thanks.

Peter

Guest PeterHill0501

Matt...

Thanks. I appreciate your kindness and support. Hey, we should still all get together for dinner me and L would still like to have you and J over for supper...let us know which of the dates is good for you. Also, be sure to let me know your status once you finally get your letter.

Peter

Calling the brigade number and leaving a message should do the job. I think you will really enjoy it and find the work very interesting and rewarding.....

Also, don't worry about applying to multiple locations. I personally know two people who only applied to Ottawa - one got in straight out and one got in off the wait list

Guest James Wong

Hey Peter,

I won`t reiterate my last message (found in the general forum) but I DO believe in you my friend, and always remember that you WILL be a doctor some day.

As for applying else where, I doubt that it would make or break your acceptance if they found out that you didn`t apply elsewhere. I know over 5 people within the last year who`ve applied only to Ottawa and have gotten in. You had an interview so what they graded you on was your performance during your interview, NOT on whether or not they felt you had initiative by applying elsewhere. Evidently, by receiving that interview, you meet their standards in terms of everything exept what was left, the interview. I`d be more than happy to help you out your second time around, and maybe we could talk Mike into help you out too....he certainly helped me!!

Give me a shout if you`re up for this.

James

Guest PeterHill0501

James,

Once again, thanks for the feedback. I'll definitely be taking you up on your offer to help me beef up my interview. It's not the interview skills, per se, where I think I performed (although I could be wrong)...I personally believe I didn't provide enough evidence of extracurriculars to show I'm balanced...due to the fact that I had a daughter right out of university I also didn't have very much in the way of volunteering (I needed to actually make money to support my family)...these are two areas I'm going to beef up on for the upcoming round of applications.

If I get another interview...you can absolutely be sure I'll be giving you and Mike a shout to provide feedback and guideance...I sincerely appreciate the offer.

Peter

Guest James Wong

That kinda reminds of me Mary`s situation. Although not the same, she`d be able to rationalize a lack of one type of extracurricular for another.....such as raising two children! I`d love for the three of us to get together and help you out. It just won`t be complete without you Pete!

James

Guest mtws

It read precisely the way Peter's did.

Very disappointing.

M

P.S. Did anyone out there receive a letter that was worded more optimistically?

Guest TimmyMax

Hey guys,

My deepst sympathies. It sucks how these things turn out sometimes and I too know the sting of rejection (5 of 'em last year!). In times like this it may be helpful (albeit tough) to look on the bright side- you both received interviews, thus the adcoms believe that you are both competitive for U of O meds. It's just the other variables that just didn't come up roses- maybe a little introspection and fine-tuning for next year will tip the scales in your favour. If it helps, you're both welcome to mail me about my U of O interview experience; although I'm not sure about my own verdict just yet, I do know that should I be offered a spot, I won't be accepting it.

Best of luck to you both, and most importantly, keep your heads up b/c there are better days ahead! :)

Tim

Peter,

Sorry to hear about the news. As James suggested, perhaps some interview strategizing may be necessary for next year. If you would like to discuss this crazy application process with another parent/"seasoned" applicant, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Yours, Mary

Guest PeterHill0501

MN,

Thanks also for your support. I would definitely like to take advantage of your and James' nice offer. Perhaps I could have both of you guys (in the generic sense) over for supper one of these day?

Please e-mail me at home so I can log your e-mail address again...my email crashed and I lost a bunch of addresses.

Thanks again, and congratulations on your acceptance!

Peter

Guest James Wong

Hey Mary,

As I`m outta town, can you tell me when I should be back from Europe by? I am trying to buy my ticket today and I don`t wanna miss any orientation and stuff...does the offer of admission letter come with important dates?

James

Archived