Premed 101 Forums

Letter Arrived...completely Bummed

Guest PeterHill0501

James,

From the info that I recieved, Sept. 3 is the first day of orientation although there may be some optional info sessions prior to that (eg. financial advice in late Aug.)

Europe you say?!! lucky dog. -Mary

Guest James Wong

MN,

yep....gotta celebrate what youth I have left. I guess I`ll make arrangements to be back on the 21st of August. Maybe Peter will be up for a dinner or something. Do you know when we get our laptops?

James

Guest U of O med

To suggest that medical schools actually care about where you've applied to sounds like pure speculation. Be careful of what "you've heard"!! I see so much disinformation on this board, it's not even funny. This is why I've agreed to be a moderator.

I only applied to Ottawa and I could name off at least 10 other of my classmates that ONLY applied to Ottawa.

PS: I find that these boards are an excellent idea for encouraging exchange of information. However, if I could be so blunt in encouraging people to note where the information is coming from. It is quite obvious that info from an unregistered user should be taken with a grain of salt, whereas info from a moderator probably has much more substance to it.

Guest PeterHill0501

I posted this note in the General section but it left a few important people out as they have only replied here...I have added notes for each of you here...

Wow,

I know you all have said wonderful things about me...I can barely stop the tears from rolling down my face as I read this thread...those of you who are accepted this year will make INCREDIBLE doctors...those of you who aren't, like me, will also make INCREDIBLE doctors...but just not for another year! Following is a short note to each of you...to close down this thread...it's getting embarrasing! If you guys really feel strongly...you can all reject Ottawa...and they'll have to admit me this year as they won't have enough good candidates for the list! Alternately, you could petition Ottawa adcoms...to move me up the list... :)

kirsteen - You have been a pillar of strength for me here throughout the application, interview and post-interview process. I was so disappointed you didn't get accepted this year. As evidenced by your backup plan...you're a great candidate with lots of flexibility. You can be sure that I have learned more about the 'hoops' this year...it's been a fantastic roller-coaster ride...I will definitely be back next year to, as you say, "kick some admissions bum".

fan - since you aren't posting under your regular login name I don't know or even suspect who you might be...but I really appreciate your note. I feel fortunate to have received an interview this year when others like yourselves didn't even get one last year. I am honoured that you would consider giving your spot to me...as I say below...if only another 200 or so candidates would reject ottawa and 'give me their spot' I'd be in this year! :) Unfortunately, I have no other spots pending this year as I chose only to apply to Ottawa. I believe that volume isn't necessarily what I need...I need to change something about the way I interviewed...I will be reflecting on this in the months to come...

BCguy - BCguy...thanks for the kind words...I really do care about other people and I'm glad this comes through in my posts as, I realize, that I can sometimes come across as quite blunt. I believe that I have the right stuff to make a great physician too...it's hard not to get discouraged when rejected from anything in life...but especially hard when it's something you believe and desire so strongly. It'll take a few days to get back on my feet...reorient my plans for this year...but it will happen...and I'll be back in the process within a few months...I believe the new OMSAS application comes out in June.

Ian - Thanks for the suggestion of St. John's Ambulance...I'm in the process of getting on board. Unfortunately, the company that certified me in april for "C" level CPR and first aid is not recognized by St. John's...they say they will be in communication with St. John's as they train many of the red cross people, etc., and they assure me that they can make St. John's aware of the equivalency of my training...however, if required, I will be taking the course through them (which I should have done inthe first place) and then start volunteering at some point in the summer.

Josiane...Thanks for the post. In some ways I agree with you that you increase your odds for acceptance if you apply to more than one school, and I likely will this coming year...but more for the experience of the process than anything. I believe that if you have what it takes you will be recognized by whatever school you apply to. Ottawa will always be my first choice as I really enjoy the balance of the program and the Francophone/Anglophone mix...I grew up in Montreal and recognize that this interaction yields an environment which is stimulating as the sum of the two cultures creates a special something greater than it's parts...literally.

mtws...Thanks so much for your support. I feel most badly about you not receiving a spot at Ottawa this year. When I look at your background, your degrees, your teaching, how could you possibly not get an offer? Perhaps if you had some sort of personality flaw or no dedication/motivation...but I sure haven't experienced that! Ya, my children love and respect me...and so does my wife...and I them...let's keep in mind that, at the end of the day/life, these are the things that are most important...health, happiness, family. I'm sure not too many of us, on our death beds, will be saying "geeze, my life was a failure because I didn't become a doctor in 2002". That's the real perspective, isn't it?

TimmyMax - Thank-you for your friendship, support and comradery...you are absolutely right that they must see something in me in that I received an interview. Introspection, tuning is definitely in order...I will be focussing on this over the next few months prior to reapplying. I've also asked my interviewers for feedback with respect to strengths and weaknesses of my application...it will be interesting to see if I can get any feedback...I've been told they don't provide this as a rule. Finally, I always look on the bright side...it's the way to be...as I've said somewhere else...I hate "eeyores"...they bring everyone down...I much prefer to be 'up' and support others...being positive can also be a great help to others as well.

mn - you "seasoned" old salty dog...if ANYBODY deserved a spot this year from this forum...it's DEFINITELY you. I don't know how many people know where you've come from...but I can honestly say that you are amazing. To go back to school at your "seasoned" age...with children...etc., and to accomplish what you have is an incredible feat. I know, based on how I was treated and by the fact that you got into U of O that age is not counted against a candidate and if anybody ever says U of O is biased against older candidates...I'll be the first to stand up and tell them they don't have correct data. I'm sorry we haven't met face-to-face yet...although, somehow I feel I know you as if we have...when James gets back I'd like to have you and your significant others over for supper/martinis/beer/cheer. I will take you up on your offer to critique and help me for the upcoming admissions cycle. Geeze, and when I do get in, perhaps as an admissions present you can 'hand-me-down' your cane?

U of O Med - Thanks for all the advice and support you've lent. Meeting you on interview day was also a pleasure...you make people feel very comfortable. I agree wholeheartedly with you about multiple applications...I don't think, in my case, that's the problem. I believe strongly that other factors that I can take control of were at play. If there's any chance we could get together sometime for a discussion/review of my file...I would be extremely grateful...you have my email address...I look forward to the interacting with you more over the next year and beyond. I made this offer to Ian and will extend it to you as well...I realize it may be unorthodox...but I would be more than willing to moderate or help out on this forum in any way I possibly could. I plan on remaining an active contributor...there's so much to learn here and many very interesting people. I do hear what you're saying about the "diverse" range of opinion here...while there's much misinformation, the 'truth' does come out in the end...that's what free speech is all about...that how diversity (and PBL?) work to bring about excellence. Anyway, thanks again and I look forward to another excellent year here.

ItsmeMelissa - When I first saw your user name I found it very funloving...you remind me of one of my closest friends who is always cheerful, intelligent and full of support and kindness. I particularly enjoyed your quote...if it is true I will eventually get in...this is the best conspiracy theory I've heard...and I most certainly have the desire...maybe if I apply three more times you will be my 4th year interviewer? :)

Peter Hill Fan - Peter Hill Fan...thanks for your support...I suspect this isn't the name you usually log in as :) but I sense by your writing that we've interacted before. Is the interview process subjective? I think it inevitably has to be...any time people are involved in making decisions based on subjective qualities like "motivation", "ability to succeed", degree of "compassion" and "communication skills" there has to be subjectivity. I would say, the one area I would like to see improved in the process, if I'm ever in a position to do so, would be to somehow have the process provide more than a 40 minute slice and an autobiographical sketch to serve as data for the interviewers. While I realize I didn't get a flat out rejection...and that there is still a small chance...I have to be realistic that for this year...that chances are so minimal...almost non-existant...but it sure would be nice to get a call...and if I do, I'll be there in a flash!

utapp - Thanks for the support. We haven't had a great deal of time to get to know one another but I assume we will get to do so in the upcoming year if you hang around the boards some more. Your observation that someone with my drive deserves a spot is flattering...but I'm not sure that's sufficient...It's kinda like the student who studies like mad over a long period of time but still manages to fail the exam...I think I need more than drive and will use the next few months to figure that one out.

hmsdread - hmsdread...you know, this would be an incredible way for adcoms to really learn "who" people are. They should create a site and do away with anonymity and make it mandatory that people interact for a year prior to having an interview. This would definitely provide them with a bit better of a sample of who the people with the "right qualities" are. It provides a really nice means of sharing your qualities over an extended period of time. I guess, what I'm faced with however, is that they won't likely do this and I've got to figure out how to get myself across in the 40 minute slice...

liana - Liana...you have been most interesting to interact with...you're really intelligent and have your feet on the ground. I can't remember whether you have received an offer this year...but I hope you have...you'll make an incredible doctor. I hope you're right about potentially having more important thingto accomplish this year. One thing is for sure...I've learned a lot through the process...and it probably will influence something I do this year...as an example...I'll be volunteering for St. John's Ambulance to try to increase my volunteer section as I didn't have a chance due to having to take care of my children through my masters and beyond. I look forward to continuing to interact with you.

cheech10 - Cheech...thanks for the extremely kind words and continued support. You too are thoughtful, knowledgeable and compassionate. Optimism is so important in life...without having a positive outlook, especially in times that don't go as one plans...would, in the past, have been my demise. I'm an eternal optimist...it's the way I choose to be...I can't stand "eeoyre's"...they just bring everyone down. I prefer to contribute hope and inspiration.

James wong - James, what can I say...I'll miss sitting next to you and MN this year too. I can honestly say that I'll always remember you...you accompanied me through the first complete body dissection I've ever seen in person...this memory will be forever burnt into my neural pathways. I will be taking you, Mike and MN's offer for advice/feedback prior to my next interview. By the way, we're still going to have to work on that "eatery" thing..."eatery" is not the kind of place you should admit frequenting...but yes, we'll have to go out for a nice meal sometime!

Afib - Afib...I also have a feeling you log in under a different name most often...anyway, thanks for believing that I deserve a spot. One thing is for sure...the people who do get spots have worked incredibly hard and have done the right stuff to get it...those are the people who truly deserve their chance.

The Fox Rox - The Fox Rox...you make me blush as well. I'm so glad that my contribution in this forum has been perceived by many as being helpful and has facilitated in some way...I hope you're right about next year. And, even if I don't get in next year...if somehow I am facilitating individuals to get a spot I have also contributed to medicine somehow...haven't I?

Beaver - Beaver...you're one of the people who kept me coming back here. You've always held your own ground and voiced unique opinions...stood for what you believe in. I am the same way...I believe in voicing my internalized beliefs, even if they go against the group of the norm...this is where creativity and innovation come from....if everyone thought the same way no significant advances would be made and life would be really dull. Crap shoot? I'm not so sure it's a crap shoot...I think it can, from the outside, look like a crapshoot...but I have faith that there is some method to the madness, however subjective it is. I'm pretty good at figuring out puzzles...this is just another one of those to be challenged by. By the way, you do have the nicest tail in the forum...you're girlfriend has a really nice furry back to match yours (eeeeewwww). Keep in touch Beav...I want to know what happens for you this fall.

MDCY - I was really sorry to hear that you didn't get an offer this year MDCY...like you, I am also thankful for the interview experience. When you really look at it objectively...in the case of U of O, there were 2011 applicants and out of those 496 got interviews...including me...I feel very fortunate and accomplished for even having received an interview. Perhaps this is a test...if it is...reapplying next year should, for goodness sake, convince them I'm serious about this!

medicator007 - Thanks for the continued support. It was nice interacting with someone from Montreal again. Man, I really miss Montreal. I'll be applying to McGill next year, for sure. With respect to the dream...I won't have to work hard to 'keep' it...it is embedded in my thoughts every day. I can't wait to take you up on your offer for a ride in the 150K vehicle...I'll definitely take you up on it. Perhaps we could use it to our advantage and make our way to the front of the line quicker at some souvlacki joint (oooooh, that would be bad).

medwant2b - You know, I was convinced I'd be celebrating too...perhaps not first round...but at some point during the summer. I'm definitely going to be reapplying next year...probably to Mac, McGill and Ottawa. My first choice will still be Ottawa, though...but I could easily see myself at Mac or back in La Belle Province...it's home to me...

Feathers McGraw - You make me blush...I don't remember you logging in as FM, but obviously you've been hanging around for a while. I think the adcoms will eventually learn who I am...maybe to my advantage...perhaps not...I guess it depends on what qualities they believe are required to forge the next generation of doctors...are they fools? I'm not so sure...I think they have a very difficult task and they do it the best that they can...at least, I like to believe that is true. I must admit, though, except for a few things at my interview...I really have, at this point in time, no idea of what I'd change for next year...I think I presented a very true version of myself...perhaps it isn't anything more than seeing I'm serious...I did get an interview...so they must see something interesting in me...

D - As mentioned other places above...I definitely will be applying to more than one school next year. I feel truly honoured and flattered that you wish your spot for me...now if 200 or so other candidates felt that way I might get a spot this year! Thanks for your kind thoughts...

UWOMED2005 - I really appreciate you saying that I'm an asset to this community. I have really enjoyed my time here and look forward to another year of fun, challenge and meeting new friends. Thanks for the vote of confidence for next year...introspection, practice and perfection will get me a spot in the next cycle. I don't give up so easily. It's been a real pleasure interacting with you...you too are an asset to this community and to the medical community at large.

Ian Wong - Last, but not least, Ian...Ian, I want to extend my sincere thanks for creating and maintaining this forum. Managing this forum is a giant task...you deserve some sort of award for supporting the pre-med, med school and residency communities. Ya, it really sucks that I won't be getting a spot this year...but next year is another year, isn't it. If people's desire to enter medical school ends after a single cycle...then the adcoms were probably right rejecting them. The field of medicine is one which requires huge devotion to the human condition...more than a year, that's for sure. Hey, I know it's probably unorthodox...but if you should require a moderator for some forum I would be more than happy to do so. Keep in touch.

Thanks again to everyone...I've taken up way too much space and time with this thread...I look forward to another great year.

Sincerely,

Peter Hill

Guest MD2006

Hi Peter, I'm sorry I'm a little late on this discussion but I wanted to extend my condolences as well. I received rejections letters last year too so I know how emotionally draining the whole situation can be. But I think as many people have expressed on this forum, we know things will all work out for you in the end....and hey....Michael Jordan got cut from his high school basketball team......and looked how it turned out for him!! Persistence and dedication always pays off. Take care!

Guest habraz

Hi Peter,

I feel for you man. I am in the same boat as you and it is back to the drawing board. I was reassessing my whole life yesterday after the bad waitlist letter. Thinking man this is just hopeless. But Today I feel upbeat and I am already going to start studying for the august MCAT again. Dont ever give up and dont ever feel bad about your rejection. What does not kill you makes you stronger. I would like to think of myself as the iron that gets hammered enough to turn into steel. I am 30 years old and I am finishing my PHD and I did not get in. eventhough my background is not like the typical applicant I will not give up till I get in. I have a feeling that we will be chatting on this website next application year and the coming year would be one of success. Remember dont feel bad and dont ever give up.

Guest Melissa13

Hi Peter,

Jumping in here just to say that after I finished my first degree I applied...to 14 schools..got PFO letters from all fourteen. Spent 3 LONGGGG years doing what I had to do to become a competetive candidate. This year I applied to 11..got PFO letters from 9 + 1 acceptance and 1 outstanding. Lots of people get passed over on the first try. Try again...it's worth it in the end. In the mean time maybe think about writing that dreaded MCAT to expand the # that you can apply to, I know everyone will cringe at the thought and it's no fun to write but if it is standing between you and an acceptance letter...to ANYWHERE...then you have to consider doing it. While Ottawa is a great school (I'm going there myself in the fall) it's not the only school in Ontario, and definitely not the only one in Canada so think shotgun attack instead of rifle and aim wide...I betcha hit something if you do. Best of luck and the patience to battle on. Melissa

Guest U of O med

Sure Peter,

If you have any questions feel free to email me.

Keep up the quality work you've been doing on here.

PS: I didn't mean to suggest that you're postings shouldn't be taken at face value because you are not officially a moderator (YET). I was just making a general comment as to the unregistered users... you never know who they are!! (insert Twilight Zone music here)

Guest PeterHill0501

U of O med...I knew exactly what you were saying...you don't ever have to worry about offending me...if there's a question as to intentions...I don't usually assume...I'm not too shy...I'll ask!

Thanks again.

Peter

Guest Josiane Nawar

The 5 or ten people you can name that only applied to Ottawa U and got in are almost certainly not in Peter's position. I was addressing Peter's situation in particular. He's not the average 3rd year biochem applicant. In my humble opinion, someone who makes a seemingly abrupt change in career paths needs to justify it to interviewers. They want to know that you're in for the long haul. I'm sorry to hear that you think i am "purely speculating". To me it sounds perfectly logical.

Peter, I maintain that you'd have much better chances if you applied elsewhere as well. Best of luck to you. You can do it.

Guest Jason

I must say I agree. I am leaving my fiance to go to Ottawa from BC. I applied every where across canada. I really want to be a physcian - you have to demonstrate that you are willing to sacrifice to become a doctor. If you are not willing to sacrifice a little now - are you going to be willing to sacrifce later for your patients (ie. time etc.)

Guest shkelo

Some sacrifices are justifiable, like moving to a new city to attend med school, but others are not. True, medicine is a service industry, but there should not be pressure from the medical community to sacrifice one's time for patients. Personally, I want a balanced lifestyle in my life and medicine is just one component of it. I should have the right, as a physician, to spend time with my friends and family just as much as the next person. Too often I hear comments like Jason's that point to future sacrifices as a physician. Compassionate medicine is one thing but working 36 hour shifts at the hospital doesn't (in my mind) promote healthy living - unless you WANT a career-dedicated life. Not me, thank you. There are many diverse and exciting areas of medicine. Make sure you choose the one right for you, not for your patients.

Sorry to hear about your rejection, Peter. Be sure to sit down with someone at the admissions office who will give you straight answers about the "weaknesses" of your application. Prepare a list of questions and just listen (don't challenge) and then reflect on what they tell you. Perception, unfortunately, is 9/10ths of the admission process. You may not agree with what they say, but they are the ones who will eventually give you the green light. It may be necessary to take a few lumps now in order to improve your application for next year. Good luck!!

Guest PeterHill0501

Thanks for the response shkelo...I didn't get a chance to thank you as well. You are incredibly insightful and always have interesting points of view which have significantly affected my points of view, assumptions and enduring beliefs...thank-you for being unique and thoughtful.

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote>Quote:<hr> Some sacrifices are justifiable, like moving to a new city to attend med school, but others are not.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END-->

You raise a great point, however, I would say requiring someone to move to a different city as a sign of committment to medicine and willingness to sacrifice for patients is just as ludicrous. I have 2 children which are with me part time...my wife has entered into legal committments with respect to a new family practice she is opening in Ottawa...I love my children and my wife...I couldn't imagine why I should be made to sacrifice these things which are ultimately important to me. If getting into medicine means sacrificing my children or my wife...I say, thanks, but no thanks...I will apply my skills in another profession. I realize you are not a proponent of having to move to another city to demonstrate good physician characteristics...you merely used this as one example. Others, however, have suggested this to almost be fact...I just don't believe it.

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote>Quote:<hr> Compassionate medicine is one thing but working 36 hour shifts at the hospital doesn't (in my mind) promote healthy living - unless you WANT a career-dedicated life.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END-->

You're absolutely correct. Working 36 hour shifts is definitely unacceptable anywhere...for any reason...and then compound that with back to back...1 in 2 call...where, in fact, you're working that with a small several hour break inbetween two days! My wife, while in obs/gyn was typically on 1 in 2 call...and let me tell you...knowing her and others expected to perform after working these hours is both unrealistic and scary. My wife was performing obstetric and gynecological surgeries near the end of her 2 of 1 in 2 call! That's really scary.

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote>Quote:<hr> Sorry to hear about your rejection, Peter. Be sure to sit down with someone at the admissions office who will give you straight answers about the "weaknesses" of your application. Prepare a list of questions and just listen (don't challenge) and then reflect on what they tell you. Perception, unfortunately, is 9/10ths of the admission process. You may not agree with what they say, but they are the ones who will eventually give you the green light. It may be necessary to take a few lumps now in order to improve your application for next year. Good luck!! <hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END-->

Thanks for the condolences...I'm feeling much better today. I've asked for feedback from admissions. I'm quite used to receiving brutal feedback...my experience is that if feedback was what you wanted to hear...it wouldn't be that useful. I'm quite adept at listening (this is my profession as a human researcher/psychologist) and have no problem invoking change to better myself. I've done outward bound twice (if you've done it you'll relate to how challenging and introspective this is) and intense, open, honest feedback has always been a part of my professional and personal relationships. You can bet I'll ask for and learn from the feedback and be back next year with a portfolio and interview presence that will have them droolin' :) ...and then if not next year...well...we'll see how many more years I can go before I'm dead!

Best regards,

Peter

Guest James Wong

Yes, perhaps you are right about them checking on whether or not an applicant applied to other schools. I`m not saying that it isn`t done. I`m just saying that since Peter made it to the interview (AND since it is a closed interview, meaning that the interviewers only know what they have in front of them), his acceptance/waitlist did not likely reflect how many schools Peter applied too. The interviewers are not given that information to consider when they score an interview.

At any rate, I don`t think that Peter was in the wrong by applying to Ottawa only. Should he mention why he decided to apply to Ottawa only (familial reasons), I think that that would play well in his favour. Though, I`ll admit, I`m not on the admissions committee and probably never will be so this is strictly opinion and not fact.

James

Guest PeterHill0501

Just so nobody else wastes time on this...when I asked for feedback on the strengths and weaknesses of my application with the goal of improving my application for next year this is the response I received from Nina/admissions at U of O:

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote>Quote:<hr> Hi Peter:

The Admissions Committee members (interviews) don't provide any feedback.

I wish you the best.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END-->

...hmmm, where's the compassion, caring about others, etc., in this?

Peter

Guest time away

Hi Peter,

As someone who has gone through the process and was utterly disappointed with a rejction I found that it helped to get away from it all for awhile (obviosuly, this might not be for everyone). Iin my humble opinion, I think you might drive youself nuts over the next year by getting "too involved" (ie, posting often on this form, talking to u of o admissions people, ect) in the application process. In short, i would suggest that you give yourself some time off from thinking about med applications.

only trying to help...

Guest PeterHill0501

time away...

Thanks for your suggestion. I personally find it quite cathartic and interesting to hang here. I'm over the "i'm not in" shock...I've moved on...there's always next year!\

I appreciate your suggestion though.

Peter

I don't completely agree with the time away comment. Maybe a week or so... But seriously it is really tough to get into med school. Take a break. But then jump right back on the horse.

When I found out I didn't get in anywhere last year, I decided to do exactly what you are doing right now. Reflect! Find out what the weaknesses in my application are (and we all have them - even applicants that get in do) and attack them head on.

Many people who don't get into med school assume that their application was flawless and they didn't get in because the admissions committe missed something or they just weren't lucky this year. Don't everyone jump down my throat - we all know one or two people who believe in this philosophy (It is not fair I deserve to go-but they don't do anything to prove it). Peter, you are obviously not one of these people. All I am saying is that very few applicants are perfect - "even the chosen one's" could have probably added one or two things to their app.

Also, I concede that their are numerous people each year that don't get in that really really deserve to - like yourself. For those people, there is always next year. But, they need to improve their application or interview to convince the admissions committe. And in the end that is the bottem line - the admission committee has to give you the thumbs up.

Peter, I commend you and other applicants who realize that there may be flaws or things that they can improve on - even if it is only their interview skills. I suggest you do continue to beef up your application with St John ambulance volunteering. In the end it will help your interview as you will have clinical and patient care skills to discuss. And major proof that you are committed to becoming a doctor and know what to expect from the profession.

My point is this... October applications are not that far away - in terms of beefing up your applications. Go over your autobio and look for ways you can improve it. Write a list and do it. I know this strategy has worked for many people. I think you are on the right track. Stick with it and I am sure that you will obtain positive results next year.

Guest PeterHill0501

Ian,

Thanks so much...your comments were very reassuring, supportive and confirming.

I'm the first to admit there must have been some major "flaws" in my application and interview...I have incredible work experience, a ton related to health care...I have tons of experience in hospital...I have one of the most balanced lifestyles imaginable...I'm committed to medicine...so, obviously this wasn't getting across in the interview and likely in my autobiographical sketch (although I did get an interview so that makes me believe most of my challenges are in the interview portion) I've come from a very corporate world (i.e., 12 years at Nortel developing hardware and software in a human-centred group)...I'm probably quite different psychologically than most candidates, especially in an interview situation. I want the feedback as I can adapt...I can learn and I take fitting into environments very seriously. People who stop improving...stagnate. I'm not one of those people...I continuously strive to learn, better myself, make changes where necessary, etc...this is a very basic value I possess.

Everybody deals with things differently...I'm not bitter...I was incredibly disappointed that I didn't get a flat out offer this year and that, except in the case of some miracle, I won't be going this year...I have nobody to blame except myself...I didn't meet their expectations...and as many people have pointed out...perception is everything...and I didn't read/prepare adequately somehow. But, I have a great job...a great life...a great wife...great kids...great friends...etc., this isn't nearly the end of the world...what's another year...a year is but a spec of time in one's life! So, you see, taking a break would really serve no purpose for me right now as I'm feeling at ease with the outcome. Will I question it? Absolutely...I'm a behavioural scientist...I don't believe things because people say them...I generate hypotheses...I test them...look for empirical evidence to support or refute the hypotheses...change something...and start over again until I get what I'm looking for (or not)...this forum helps me do just that!

This is my first year applying...I've been listening carefully...I've learned an incredible amount about the process...and I'll master it...it's just a matter of time and endurance, isn't it?

Thanks again...your posts are always extremely helpful.

Peter

Guest DDS15

Hey Peter,

It's me the guy who said" watch out for Francophones"

Sorry to hear about Ottawa.

"Have Patience and Endure" -Shakespeare

Guest PeterHill0501

DDS15,

Thanks for the support. I will endure...July is coming up fast...I'm looking forward (smile) to going through this again!

Cheers,

Peter

Archived