Premed 101 Forums

Pharmacology vs Pharmacy

garret9

Hey I was wondering what are some of the major differences with these two: education, financial, and carreer opertunity wise.

2 very different fields with similar names.

Education: pharmacy is a 4 years professional degree where one learns to be a pharmacist. Pharmacology is an undegraduate degree where one learns basic sciences. While the pharmacy student will have a few classes in pharmacology, he will also have classes about pharmacotherapy and practical classes and internships in clinical pharmacy (in hospital and in community pharmacies). The pharmacology student will have more theoretical classes and more labs as well as research internships.

Financial: pharmacy is way more stable financially than pharmacology (since the latter is mostly research oriented). I don't have exact figures to give you.

Career opportunities: pharmacy: you work as a PHARMaCIST (you can look up the exact definition if you're confused about what they do) in a pharmacy, in a hospital or in the industry.

Pharmacology: you mostly do research.

Peace

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Pharmacologists make drugs

Pharmacists sell them, and make sure doctors/patients don't kill others/themselves accidentally

A pharmacist practicing in the community can expect to make at least 70K / year (after government cuts in Ontario, the chain drug stores dropped the rates for new grads. Before this, a new grad can expect a wage of ~ $40/hr)

A pharmacist practicing in the hospital generally has ~$4 less wage, but better hours and benefits.

A pharmacy student learns background knowledge of organic & physical chemistry, pharmaceutics, pathophysiology, pharmacology. The bulk of the education is on therapeutics and patient interactions. Therapeutics means, figure out what the patient is complaining of, figuring out the diagnosis either through doctor (in the hospital), or think about what it sounds like (in the community when the patient comes in with random things like a rash); thinking about the pharmacological and non-pharmacological alternatives (e.g. do you need a cool compress, or actually some cortate cream); educate the patient about their diagnosis or suspected condition, provide directions of use for the recommended/prescribed product, caution patient on side effects and what to watch out for that is dangerous (e.g. life threatening allergy to medication, or signs that the condition is getting worse); finally, provide follow up as best as you can so you can be sure that the patient is being taken care of.

Of course, pharmacist in the drug industry do completely different things...

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

This has been very helpful, it made me realize what I really need. Frankly I wasn't too familiar with pharmacology and I did need it at some point in my life. I needed it when my doctor prescribed me Triluma for my skin condition. I also had a different type of treatment without the knowledge of my doctor and the interaction with the new drug got me worried a bit. Things were find in the end.

i think pharmacology would be more interesting

i would HATE to be a pharmacist

8 years of hard study to work in a walmart having people asking you where the milk is, listening to the same crappy looped music over and over again, those

fluorescent white lights beaming off of the glossy white floor

pharmacists will soon be replaced by a much more cost effective measure

i think pharmacology would be more interesting

i would HATE to be a pharmacist

8 years of hard study to work in a walmart having people asking you where the milk is, listening to the same crappy looped music over and over again, those

fluorescent white lights beaming off of the glossy white floor

pharmacists will soon be replaced by a much more cost effective measure

I respectfully disagree. From what you've said, I think you work under the assumption that all a pharmacist does is fill prescriptions and count pills. It's really unfortunate that you and a large majority of the public think that way without ever realizing what pharmacist can do for you until you need it.

A typical day at my pharmacy usually sees the pharmacist counseling on drug interactions, extending prescriptions under their name to ensure continuity of care, and contacting doctors to change doses/medication/clarifications to make sure the drug is both safe and effective for the patient. They answer health-related concerns patients have, which can range anything from "hey, what should I take for my cold?" to "I've been having really bad heartburn for the past few days," which might involve a quick trip down the OTC aisle to pick out the best product for the patient or a phone call to 911 after some extensive assessment questions.

Some provinces reimburse pharmacists for giving injections (flu shots is a big one during the winter months, I think our pharmacy immunized close to 200 patients this season) and for medication reviews. I think without pharmacists, you're eliminating access of patients to healthcare. You'll find that pharmacists actually save the government money, because if patients went to the doctor for every little problem instead of first consulting the pharmacist for easier remedies, then it'll not only cost more (I think the government pays $50 per physician visit?), but also clog up the Dr's offices and emergency rooms, resulting in longer wait times. And the best part is, in my province, pharmacists still doing all this for free.

tl;dr pharmacists do more than count pills and they will never be replaced with "a much more cost effective measure" because currently, expanding their scopes of practice is the key to saving the health care system money in the long run.

• 1 month later...
I respectfully disagree. From what you've said, I think you work under the assumption that all a pharmacist does is fill prescriptions and count pills. It's really unfortunate that you and a large majority of the public think that way without ever realizing what pharmacist can do for you until you need it.

A typical day at my pharmacy usually sees the pharmacist counseling on drug interactions, extending prescriptions under their name to ensure continuity of care, and contacting doctors to change doses/medication/clarifications to make sure the drug is both safe and effective for the patient. They answer health-related concerns patients have, which can range anything from "hey, what should I take for my cold?" to "I've been having really bad heartburn for the past few days," which might involve a quick trip down the OTC aisle to pick out the best product for the patient or a phone call to 911 after some extensive assessment questions.

Some provinces reimburse pharmacists for giving injections (flu shots is a big one during the winter months, I think our pharmacy immunized close to 200 patients this season) and for medication reviews. I think without pharmacists, you're eliminating access of patients to healthcare. You'll find that pharmacists actually save the government money, because if patients went to the doctor for every little problem instead of first consulting the pharmacist for easier remedies, then it'll not only cost more (I think the government pays $50 per physician visit?), but also clog up the Dr's offices and emergency rooms, resulting in longer wait times. And the best part is, in my province, pharmacists still doing all this for free.

tl;dr pharmacists do more than count pills and they will never be replaced with "a much more cost effective measure" because currently, expanding their scopes of practice is the key to saving the health care system money in the long run.

Excellent post. :D

• 1 month later...

So I was talking to the pharmacist at the pharmacy where I volunteer at, and he said that starting July 1st, Pharmacists will have more authority and responsibility. They can already do injections, but now they will also be able to provide more counselling to people and prescribe medications. To what extent? I have no idea.

The importance of a Pharmacist has (or will) definitely increase... in Alberta at least.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Pharmacology is the subject which is studied in medical colleges in which students are given the proper tools how to prepare the medicen salt,and all its applications for the best just to run the pharmacy.

Pharmacology is just the study of drugs, how they interact, what side effects they cause, indications, etc. Pharmacy is the monitoring of drugs. Pharmacology is a part of pharmacy.

Pharmacology of drugs and how they interact. One should follow pharmacology course to be a pharmacist

Holy ****, these are some smart spam bots...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Pharmacy is an art and science of making and manufacturing packing and distributing drugs. Pharmacology is the science of classifying and studying drugs and medicines ,to know how drugs act and alter body structure function,side effects ,dose,complications, indications(in what conditions drugs are given) ,contra indications (when they are not to be given) drug interactions, and prescribing.

• 2 weeks later...

UAlberta BSc Spec. Pharmacology grad here:

Pharmacology is the research side of things, however it's an extremely broad field. Courses ranged from physiology to biochem to immunology and analytical chem, kind of making us the jack of all trades but master of none's of the life sciences. While I loved my degree, the in industry job prospects are VERY slim. Additionally, in my experience quite a few life sciences faculties only look at more topic focused degrees when sorting through grad studies applications (looking at you UofA immunology).

However, before I scare you away from an amazing faculty the current job market is rough for almost every recent grad but there are still TONS of analytical lab jobs out there.

Archived