Premed 101 Forums

In province GPA cutoff

teresachang

In the past, McGill has found some gems for acceptance in the lower end and there is no reason to believe they will change their approach - unless they are so swamped with increased numbers especially due to having removed the MCAT requirement. They will make that decision once they know the number of IP applicants and the computers give them the number of applicants in various GPA ranges.

• 3 weeks later...
How do you know it's 3.55+ ?

http://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/what-are-we-looking/academics-university

They say: "The primary basis of the assessment of undergraduate degree performance is the degree cumulative grade point average (DegGPA) used for the basis of admission. Successful applicants tend to have a DegGPA above 3.5 (average approximately 3.8). Applicants with a DegGPA below 3.4 are rarely considered."

But we will have to wait and see to know for sure! Good luck to all!

http://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/what-are-we-looking/academics-university

They say: "The primary basis of the assessment of undergraduate degree performance is the degree cumulative grade point average (DegGPA) used for the basis of admission. Successful applicants tend to have a DegGPA above 3.5 (average approximately 3.8). Applicants with a DegGPA below 3.4 are rarely considered."

But we will have to wait and see to know for sure! Good luck to all!

Ya, I'd seen that before but something similar to that is on the website for OOP applicants and the actual cutoff was much higher. Wait and see is for sure.

they always write that to be considered competitive, the gpa is 3.50 but looking at last year's state, the lowest person who received an interview was 3.14....i guess it still gives some hope to ppl like me with low gpa.... i just wonder what sort of things you need to have instead to make up for a low gpa since they no longer look at the mcat

they always write that to be considered competitive, the gpa is 3.50 but looking at last year's state, the lowest person who received an interview was 3.14....i guess it still gives some hope to ppl like me with low gpa.... i just wonder what sort of things you need to have instead to make up for a low gpa since they no longer look at the mcat

Wow!

Without MCAT, I would expect adcom to look at exceptionally strong references, compelling narrative & C.V. with evidence of signifigant development and maturity in traits desirable for physicians.

Thus meaning they will look at and read our entire application ;)

Without MCAT, I would expect adcom to look at exceptionally strong references, compelling narrative & C.V. with evidence of signifigant development and maturity in traits desirable for physicians.

Sometime I wonder if the "Applicants with a DegGPA below 3.4 are rarely considered." is based on 4.3, cuz 3.14 on 4 = approx. 3.4/ 4.3 :P

All kidding aside, let's hang in there we've only got a little more than a week longer!

I guess it will be nicer (in the future years) if the offices can provide the distribution (e.g. a histogram) of the GPAs, instead of the "critical values" (lowest, highest, average, medium and mode).

Again, good luck to every one! Given the In-Province 81 seats (well, 78 seats considering the non-traditional pathway, whatever even lower considering the deferred admissions) available, I think the 3.5 GPA is still a reasonable cut-off.

Wow, so international students' GPA is much lower than out of province Canadians' GPA?

So I'm just wondering, say if I'm a double Canadian and U.S. citizen, if I apply as an American, is it more advantageous than applying as a Canadian to McGill?

This has been discussed before -> if you are a dual CAN/US citizen then you have no choice but to apply as a Canadian citizen (McGill's rules).

Does anyone know if the Minerva status will be updated by midnight on Friday the 4th, or we'll have to wait until later in the day...?

Thanks

No clue. Anything is possible. Interview offers may be sent earlier than Friday or just on Friday or tomorrow even. I've tortured myself wanting to know asap and I came to the conclusion that there is only one certainty: we'll know when we know. :D

No clue. Anything is possible. Interview offers may be sent earlier than Friday or just on Friday or tomorrow even. I've tortured myself wanting to know asap and I came to the conclusion that there is only one certainty: we'll know when we know. :D

You're definitely right hehe... It feels like time isn't going fast enough since January 15th... Pure mental torture! The only way I can deal with the stress is by telling myself that there's nothing else I can do now that everything has been submitted ^^

Good luck to you all :)

Does anyone know if the Minerva status will be updated by midnight on Friday the 4th, or we'll have to wait until later in the day...?

Thanks

Last year, my invitation email was sent at 12h02 PM. Your status on minerva comes after the email (the day after??) if I recall correctly.

Archived