Premed 101 Forums

please help my premed club

garret9

Hello all,

The premed club at my school, which I'm heavily involved with, usually fund raises for a trip or conference at the end of the semester. One of our main sources of income is a bake sale we hold once a month. One criticism we've had is the lack in "healthy choices."

My two questions are:

Do you have any ideas for food items that we could sell (without food safety concerns)?

Do you know of any other fund raising opportunities you'd suggest for us?

Hello all,

The premed club at my school, which I'm heavily involved with, usually fund raises for a trip or conference at the end of the semester. One of our main sources of income is a bake sale we hold once a month. One criticism we've had is the lack in "healthy choices."

My two questions are:

Do you have any ideas for food items that we could sell (without food safety concerns)?

Do you know of any other fund raising opportunities you'd suggest for us?

you could make healthy bars- like a larabar kind of thing.

you could make protein pancakes with banana or protein cupcakes with healthy low calorie icing

if you google healthy dessert recipes you can find a bunch of stuff i bet

another option would be some healthy home made baked potato chips/sweet potato chips- you'd have to practice these as they sometimes don't crisp up properly the first couple times you make them.

one of the best fundraising sources i had (for clarification i've fundraised about 22k over the last 18 months) was a wine raffle- everybody in your premed club buys a bottle of wine (minimum 10.00 per bottle) you put them together and sell raffle tickets for 5.00 a piece to anybody and everybody in the community, friends, family, school people, facebook friends, random strangers in front of the starbucks, grocery store... whatever. depending upon how many bottles you have you can set it up so 3 different people can win, or only one... it's all about what you think will entice the crowd more. we had 37 people buy 37 bottles of wine and i think the group together raised about 10k in 3 weeks. i dropped the ball on that one and didn't sell any tickets, but i did my own raffle later and sold about 2k worth of raffle tickets for canucks tickets, bc lions tickets, gift cards and junk that were donated to us.

good luck!

you could make healthy bars- like a larabar kind of thing.

you could make protein pancakes with banana or protein cupcakes with healthy low calorie icing

if you google healthy dessert recipes you can find a bunch of stuff i bet

another option would be some healthy home made baked potato chips/sweet potato chips- you'd have to practice these as they sometimes don't crisp up properly the first couple times you make them.

one of the best fundraising sources i had (for clarification i've fundraised about 22k over the last 18 months) was a wine raffle- everybody in your premed club buys a bottle of wine (minimum 10.00 per bottle) you put them together and sell raffle tickets for 5.00 a piece to anybody and everybody in the community, friends, family, school people, facebook friends, random strangers in front of the starbucks, grocery store... whatever. depending upon how many bottles you have you can set it up so 3 different people can win, or only one... it's all about what you think will entice the crowd more. we had 37 people buy 37 bottles of wine and i think the group together raised about 10k in 3 weeks. i dropped the ball on that one and didn't sell any tickets, but i did my own raffle later and sold about 2k worth of raffle tickets for canucks tickets, bc lions tickets, gift cards and junk that were donated to us.

good luck!

I believe BC law prohibits gambling/raffles for social trips/events (obviously there are exeptions for sports teams and such), but I will look into this. Thanks for the ideas! I'll put them forward!!

I believe BC law prohibits gambling/raffles for social trips/events (obviously there are exeptions for sports teams and such), but I will look into this. Thanks for the ideas! I'll put them forward!!

from what i recall you can have charity raffles/gambling without gambling licences provided your gross sales fall below 5k... check it out to verify, but that's what i recall from my poker night and the raffle

edit: my events were for a non profit organization and running club so it may be slightly different than the premed club... that would also need to be verified.

Super-easy gluten-free peanut butter cookies:

1 cup peanut butter

1 cup sugar

1 egg

Mix together, shape into cookies, and bake at 325 F for about 10 minutes.

Edit: You can also make them with other nut butters, and even nutella.

Another healthy idea would be little bags of cut up veggie sticks (carrots, celery, peppers, cucumber slices, cherry tomatoes, etc.)

I thought by definition baking was SUPPOSED to be unhealthy;)

All kidding aside, there are a ton of recipes out there that can help. My mom used to make zucchini smartie cookies back when we had a garden (and thus planted zucchini). They were great- healthy and you couldn't even tell there was zucchini in them. If I can find the recipe I'll post it here.

You could always head to the library and check out the section that has cookbooks and look for the healthy-living, diabetic, low-cal, etc type ones.

I'd give you some recipes, but honestly, most of what I bake uses butter, sugar, and white flour- not exactly "healthy". If you use splenda instead of sugar that'll help (and give diabetics and option), but Splenda is kinda expensive and some recipes need a bit of adjusting (whether Splenda claims it won't or not, it sometimes does).

What about blueberry or bran or banana muffins? Or banana bread?

if allowed, you can do a 50/50 draw...people buy raffle tickets, and whatever the total amount raised, you draw one person's name and they get 1/2 the money and your group keeps the other 1/2

Oh god... my parents own a bakery and I am therefore a baking SNOB. So take what I say with a grain of salt. But, low fat baking is a massive no-no in my opinion. I cringe at the thought of cookies with funky textures, tasteless pastries, cakes made with low-fat sour cream, low-fat margarine... or dun dun dunnn... SPLENDA! Nightmare and a half...

But seriously, I have a question the OP. Who is asking for the healthy alternatives? Your premed club? Or the students who want to buy treats from your bake sale? I think that's an important question.

Disclaimer: I don't mean to offend anyone who claims to make "excellent" healthy baked goods, but I strongly believe that there are very few of you out there.

Oh god... my parents own a bakery and I am therefore a baking SNOB. So take what I say with a grain of salt. But, low fat baking is a massive no-no in my opinion. I cringe at the thought of cookies with funky textures, tasteless pastries, cakes made with low-fat sour cream, low-fat margarine... or dun dun dunnn... SPLENDA! Nightmare and a half...

But seriously, I have a question the OP. Who is asking for the healthy alternatives? Your premed club? Or the students who want to buy treats from your bake sale? I think that's an important question.

Disclaimer: I don't mean to offend anyone who claims to make "excellent" healthy baked goods, but I strongly believe that there are very few of you out there.

Our premed club has bake sales in the main lobby once a month as a club fundraiser. We usually donate part of the proceeds (ex: when we did run for the cure we donated our money to that cause) and then the remainder we also use some for and end of the semester trip (ex: last semester we went to body worlds at science world). It was students who were buying treats from our bakesale that were wondering why the "premed club" wouldn't have "healthy alternatives."

Hope that answers your question.

Our premed club has bake sales in the main lobby once a month as a club fundraiser. We usually donate part of the proceeds (ex: when we did run for the cure we donated our money to that cause) and then the remainder we also use some for and end of the semester trip (ex: last semester we went to body worlds at science world). It was students who were buying treats from our bakesale that were wondering why the "premed club" wouldn't have "healthy alternatives."

Ask them to donate money so you can go to med school to find out what is more healthy.

Yes your response answered my question. But, in terms of the fact that students wanted healthy alternatives and were wondering why the premed club did not have them, I like Renin's response.

Ask them to donate money so you can go to med school to find out what is more healthy.

You'd need a lot of money though. How many thousands to go to med school? lol

This is an issue in Ontario too. Quite a few restrictions on gambling/raffle events. I believe there is a way to get around it though (eg. people pay to attend and event and the raffle is a "free" part of the event. So essentially the person pays for the ticket in a different way). It's the direct selling of raffle tickets that's blocked.

Archived