Premed 101 Forums

amino acids

Guest MDin2006

Guest MDin2006

Hi,

I’m in the process of studying for the August MCAT, and have two questions:

1)Do we have to memorize the NMR and IR values, or will they be provided?

2)Do we have to memorize the structure of all of the amino acids, or will knowing the general structure be enough?

Thanks.

Guest UTMed07
1)Do we have to memorize the NMR and IR values, or will they be provided?

I didn't see a single NMR or IR question when I wrote the MCAT. I don't have the impression it is worth it... but perhaps others here differ with my opinion on that matter or have seen spectral analysis questions.

2)Do we have to memorize the structure of all of the amino acids, or will knowing the general structure be enough?

Memorizing the structure IMHO is a waste--might help you on one question. Groupings are probably more useful--non-polar versus polar. I vaguely remember one question about polar/non-polar--I ended-up guessing on it.

The basic structure is important, as is knowing how AAs join together to form proteins.

IHMO is makes more sense to focus more on the general principles of orgo--you're probably in better shape if you can predict the properties of an AA given the structure of its R-group.

Guest Lactic Folly

I vaguely remember reading something about having to know some ballpark NMR and IR values.. enough to know what they're talking about in the question (eg a sharp peak at 1750). I don't think the values are provided on the MCAT.

I also would not advise memorizing the structures of amino acids.. know their properties, but fortunately there is no drawing on the MCAT ;)

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

I had a couple of orgo questions on each of my real MCATs that were quickly answered if you knew the big IR or NMR peaks, e.g., OH, COOH, benzene... I'd put a recommendation in for cementing those in. The cost benefit is pretty good if it helps secure another mark or two in the BS section.

As to the amino acids, I'd agree that it's probably a good idea to get the acid and base families down, and also know about the two wacky ones: proline and glycine.

Cheers and good luck with the exam,

Kirsteen

Archived