Premed 101 Forums

Question about NSERC at UofT?

relaxer12

Hello,

I am finishing my undergrad this year, and since I received rejections already from most of the schools that I'm interested in, I guess I will use summer and the upcoming fall/winter to beef up my ECs.

My plan is this, if possible:

Retake MCAT in the summer.

NSERC USRA in fall/winter.

So my question is, does UofT (or UTSC) accept NSERC USRA during fall and winter sessions?

Cheers,

Howie

I don't think there are any rules from NSERC that preclude holding a USRA during the school year. However, under the USRA, you may not take any classes during work hours (shouldn't be a problem though, as you are graduating).

Most departments make NSERC decisions during winter term and NSERC makes final funding approvals in July. If you are awarded the grant by the university, it will be up to you to discuss scheduling with your supervisor. NSERC stipulates that:

- The duration of the award is 16 consecutive weeks on a full-time basis.

- You may hold an award at any time during the year as permitted by your academic program.

- Tenure may start on a date acceptable to both you and your host institution

From: http://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/students-etudiants/ug-pc/usra-brpc_eng.asp

for our school the deadline for nserc apps for the summer is already up.. so try to find out fast. Also Nserc u need a 3.8 (out of 4 at my school), Ive heard from profs that if you have below that then you shouldnt try to appy.. I applied anyways.

Are you talking about UTSC? Yes that I knew... But it seems it is only referring to the summer USERCs...

Archived