Premed 101 Forums

Only last two years?

• 1 month later...

... it's right on the website...

5. Academic Requirements

The Admissions Committee recognizes that appropriate preparation for the study of medicine can be acquired through many varied educational backgrounds. The major objective is that premedical education encompass broad study in the physical, life and social sciences and the humanities. The minimum requirement for entry, however, is a baccalaureate degree in any discipline. Classes in the social sciences and humanities will be helpful in understanding human behaviour in health and illness. Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, is essential. The committee believes that attracting students with a rich variety of educational backgrounds is in the interest of all students. Such preparation supports the training of outstanding physicians.

All applicants must meet the following minimum academic requirements:

• Maritime applicants: A minimum GPA of 3.3 (on a 4.0 scale) based on a full class load of 5 full classes each year in the two most recent years of study prior to submitting an application. An applicant's best 3 years out of 4 years of full time study could also be considered, if the degree program has been completed. The MCAT is also required with scores of 8 and above (may contain a score of 7 in ONE of the numerical sections) but the total must still be 24. While we would ordinarily expect a candidate to have 2 consecutive years in which 5 full classes were carried while achieving a minimum GPA of 3.3, the Admissions Committee would accept applications from candidates who have demonstrated compelling reasons for not having met these stated course work requirements or who have unusual qualifications. These decisions would be made at the discretion of the Committee

• Non Maritime Applicants: A minimum GPA of 3.7 (on a 4.0 scale) based on a full class load of 5 full classes each year in the two most recent years of study prior to submitting an application. An applicant's best 3 years out of 4 years of full time study could also be considered, if the degree program has been completed. The MCAT is also required with scores of 10 and above (may contain a score of 9 in ONE of the numerical sections) but the total must still be 30.

The medical undergraduate has to deal with a great more information per unit of time than is usually the case in university undergraduate programs in arts or science. Therefore, the Admissions Committee will consider not only the academic grades of applicants but the type and degree of difficulty of university classes completed.

Haven't finished my degree yet, so I'm probably sure they'll kick me off the list regardless :)

Yeah, I was in the same situation... Had I applied during my 4th year of my BSc (which was my 5th year of university), my last two years would've been 3.61 and 3.85. Since I'm a non-maritimer, this meant it was a wasted application. My 4th year ended up being a 3.94 though, so I applied after I graduated with a last two years of 3.85 and 3.94 and got in!

Yeah, I was in the same situation... Had I applied during my 4th year of my BSc (which was my 5th year of university), my last two years would've been 3.61 and 3.85. Since I'm a non-maritimer, this meant it was a wasted application. My 4th year ended up being a 3.94 though, so I applied after I graduated with a last two years of 3.85 and 3.94 and got in!

Your story is pretty awesome gb. Having to compete OOP just to secure a spot in a program where you really should have been IP. Kudos to you!

Archived