Premed 101 Forums

CaRMs IMG spots in Rad Onc

DubZteR

Hey Everyone,

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I've heard from a very, very, very reliable source that there will no longer be any IMG Rad Onc spots at any of the Canadian programs for future matches. This was a consensus decision between all of the Rad Onc program directors in Canada.

Unfortunately, to apply for a Rad Onc residency in Canada starting with the next CaRMs match cycle (2011-2012), you will need to be a graduate from an LCME accredited medical school.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
looking at the CaRMS program description, only Mac and Ottawa have spots specifically for IMGs. in fact, Mac in 2012 only filled 1 of 2 CMG spots and it's 1 IMG spot, and decided not to fill it's 2nd CMG spot with a CMG in the R-2 match.

I believe Queen's and Ottawa may have done the same by leaving a spot unfolded.

However, it looks like Mac and Western may have matched IMGs to those 2nd round CMG spots. Leaving the question, are these IMGs still subject to the Return of Service and forced to try to find a job in the saturated Ontario market or pay stiff penalties?

I believe Queen's and Ottawa may have done the same by leaving a spot unfolded.

However, it looks like Mac and Western may have matched IMGs to those 2nd round CMG spots. Leaving the question, are these IMGs still subject to the Return of Service and forced to try to find a job in the saturated Ontario market or pay stiff penalties?

This year is supposed to be even tighter though in matching (according the rad onc docs I have been talking to)

Archived