Premed 101 Forums

Challenges for mature students...?

The numbers vary from year to year, but the CaRMS statistics (number of applicants to a field compared to the number of available positions) do give you an idea.

http://www.carms.ca/pdfs/2010R1_MatchResults/Discipline%20Choices%20of%20Canadian%20Applicants_en.pdf

Hey, I've been looking for something like that. Thanks very much :) It doesn't seem to be complete though... would things like gastroenterology, endocrinology, or infectious diseases simply not be on there because they didn't get any applicants in first iteration at all?

Hey, I've been looking for something like that. Thanks very much :) It doesn't seem to be complete though... would things like gastroenterology, endocrinology, or infectious diseases simply not be on there because they didn't get any applicants in first iteration at all?

No all them would be there - one thing though is that you apply to internal medicine first for many specialities and then later on mid way through apply to sub specialize. You get to delay your final choice that way I guess :)

No all them would be there - one thing though is that you apply to internal medicine first for many specialities and then later on mid way through apply to sub specialize. You get to delay your final choice that way I guess :)

Aaah, that's neat. That explains some stuff I saw in the UCalgary endocrinology program about need an "internal medicine core program" first then. This is rapidly getting clearer to me. I'm a bit surprised it's not up anywhere, but I suppose the majority of med school applicants, like you said, are more focused on getting in than thinking about what happens 3+ years down the road ;)

Aaah, that's neat. That explains some stuff I saw in the UCalgary endocrinology program about need an "internal medicine core program" first then. This is rapidly getting clearer to me. I'm a bit surprised it's not up anywhere, but I suppose the majority of med school applicants, like you said, are more focused on getting in than thinking about what happens 3+ years down the road ;)

exactly - it would even be distracting to look that far ahead :) It would actually be for these internal med things 7+ years down the road and since really people change their minds all the time in med school as to what they want to do that level of focus is not really that logical in most cases

The fields you mentioned are not direct entry out of medical school; they are subspecialties of internal medicine. One would need to first enter an internal medicine residency (PGY 1-3), and then apply to CaRMS again for their medical subspecialty (which would begin in PGY 4).

http://www.carms.ca/pdfs/2010R4_MatchResults/Table%203%20-%20Discipline%20Choices%20of%20Applicants_en.pdf

As for average work hours and on-call frequency, it would depend on the rotation (as you do other "off-service" rotations not in your area of primary specialization) and the size of the pool of people available to take call. Of course, there are generalizations to be made.. e.g. neurosurgery (and most surgical specialties) will require more hours in the hospital than, say, radiation oncology or laboratory medicine.

exactly - it would even be distracting to look that far ahead :) It would actually be for these internal med things 7+ years down the road and since really people change their minds all the time in med school as to what they want to do that level of focus is not really that logical in most cases

Heh. Until you start talking mature students, who are looking at pushing forty by the end of residency if we aren't careful, and who tend to think further ahead anyway :) Really appreciate this you guys. Oddly enough, although it doesn't actually change timeframes or anything, I feel more confident about the medical choice the more I know about what to expect.

Assuming I'm even accepted, of course, but it's easy to make contingencies if that doesn't come through. I'm on familiar turf then.

Have any of you guys managed having kids during res? Or do you know of anybody doing that? What kind of benefits do you get if you go on a parental leave? And what is the experience like overall?...(I heard that having kids during res is better...)

Sorry for so many questions! Thank you!!!:)

Have any of you guys managed having kids during res? Or do you know of anybody doing that? What kind of benefits do you get if you go on a parental leave? And what is the experience like overall?...(I heard that having kids during res is better...)

Sorry for so many questions! Thank you!!!:)

It's true regarding the paid leave, as far as the experience, you could try here:

http://www.mommd.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/cfrm

It's a US forum but I bet it will give you a lot of info.

Archived