Premed 101 Forums

EXCELLENT English required for MCAT?

Guest shoopshoop

Guest shoopshoop

hi all,

i've read a sample reading comprehension and an essay question which seem difficult to understand somewhat....so im just wondering how to improve for those type of questions. im good in sciences but i dont have a varied vocabulary.

i guess i have to simply LEARN new vocab. but is there specific ways anybody here tried to do well in these parts of the MCAT?

tank u :x

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there shoopshoop,

Take a look in the MCAT forum--there is a thread or two with tips for the Writing Sample, that you might find useful.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest monksters

Hi there shoop shoop,

I had the same challenge. I did well on the science sections and the writing but the VR was my nemisis. My fault for not reading enough in my younger days. The first time I tried the MCAT I did terrible (03) in the VR because my reading was so slow, but eventually I got it to a reasonable score (08) by reading and reading and then some more reading. There are strategies to combat these sections. Reading for the main idea is the key. You don't want to know the details. It is the author's argument that you are interested in. This is what the questions test for. Increasing vocabulary certainly helps. Every time I read I looked up words that I didn't know. Although you may not remember all of the words, some will stick and as you read more, you will become better at extrapolating the meaning of words based on the context in which they are written.

With the increased reading you do, your writting skills will also gradually improve. Formula structure to the essay will usually score you reasonably high marks for the essay and will put you in a comfort zone even in face of the time constraint. Structure your essay in the order that the questions are listed in the prompt. It will make for a more pleasant and easy read for the markers too. They usually read the essays in 2 minutes, so the clearer your essay is, the better.

Lastly, for both sections, I found it useful to get feedback from your peers. Do the VR with a friend and don't do the whole section at once but work through a couple of passages, timing yourself. Then check where you and your friend disagree and discuss. Then check answers against your discussion. It sticks in your mind better on how to work through the reasoning of the questions. There is a pattern after awhile. You may also want to use LSAT reading comprehension practices as they are very similar to VR. Hope this helps... Good luck!

Guest shoopshoop

thanks monksters....that really does put me on a more comfortable pillow to know im not the only weak guy in VR.:)

i've been reading in some relatively tough book this week and so far i have written 2.5 pages of mysterious words awaiting definition in my brain while i only read about 10 pages...

i guess i better head off to the library for more :x ...

Guest monksters

Hi Shoop shoop,

No worries. Books are helpful and relaxing..but here is some suggested reading that is more like the passages in the MCAT. Magazines work best

1) Economist

2) Harper's

3) The New Yorker

4) The Utne Reader

5) The Smithsonian

6) Discover

7) The Globe Editorials

8) The Courier

9) The Vancouver Sun Editorial

I have listed them in decreasing difficulty. Start with 9) relatively easy and work your way to 1) challenging.

These are the steps that I took in going through my reading.

1) You can go to the library to find older issues. Go through them and time your comfortable reading speed. Because you need to read at a liesurly comfort if you are to understand the passages reasonably.

2) You should be able to read at a speed that you can explain each paragraph in one sentence with regard to the author's arguments.

3)Try to think of counter argument for each of the author's point.

.....And think of it this way, it will not only help you with the MCAT but also with your knowledge of what's going on in the world... which is certainly important for the interviews.

I should mention that after my last time writing the MCAT I was not sure whether I passed the VR so I continued practicing for the next one. I was beginning to consistently get 10 on the passages. So it is possible to theoretically go from a 03 all the way to a 10 if you work hard at it. Just keep reminding yourself " I can do it!!!"

Hope this helps

m

Guest shoopshoop

sure that helps monkster, always good to hear from you.:)

as a matter of fact ill try your list...seems good to me.

thanks for your approach.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Pucca81

I also suggest that you read those magazines or practice VR section between those times of the day in which you will need to write the actual MCAT. For instance, a few weeks before the MCAT, I read and I practiced VR like crazy every morning between 8:30 and 10:30 am. I believe the format of the MCAT changed a little this year? (do you write VR after Physical sci. right?) Well, anyway, you get the idea. Best wishes!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest GrdInquisitor

Although definitely challenging, I would stay away from The Economist if you're not interested in getting only the ultra-liberal, right wing perspective on current affairs. :)

May I also suggest Scientific American.

Guest Kirsteen

...however, the ultra-liberal, right-wing perspective on current affairs, I'd argue, may be better than no perspective at all. :D

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest GrdInquisitor

Im sorry, that should read ultra-conservative, right wing and further, I stand corrected, The Economist is a banner journal for left wing liberals.

More on topic, I agree with Kirsteen. Regardless of political biases, The Economist provides very good examples of MCAT verbal reasoning style articles.

Guest bad hombre

ultra-liberal, rightwing... would place you right in the center:eek

the economist is a good mag, and it is really objective in my opinion. however, it's always good to get different perspectives on any particular topic.

Archived