Premed 101 Forums

Strategic testing date

liverpool

Hello,

Brand new to this forum, and the whole forum thing in general for that matter

So I'm looking at writing this bad-boy and was wondering if there is any substance in the rumours about how it's easier to score better at certain times of the year or even at certain times of the summer

I haven't really analysed this much, but at first glance the idea seems silly

Looking forward to your inputs...

There's really no substance to those rumours. It just depends on taking the MCAT when you feel most prepared.

Yeah they spend a huge amount of time and energy making sure that the test is consistent through out the year now. I could imagine way back when it was a paper test there was a slim possibility of bias but under this computerized one I cannot even see that.

The only questions are if you are prepared to do your best on the test, and whether you want a chance to rewrite it if necessary :)

Yeah I'm sure the difficulty of the questions would always be the same

How about the fact that the scoring is based on the distribution of results for a particular testing date though? I was referring more to speculation that because more people write at certain times (ie. end of August) it would be harder to get a high score then

BUT...Looking back and after having thought about it more, I'd expect that, although more people in total will get high results in August (since more write it then), it will be balanced by more low results as well

Yeah I'm sure the difficulty of the questions would always be the same

How about the fact that the scoring is based on the distribution of results for a particular testing date though? I was referring more to speculation that because more people write at certain times (ie. end of August) it would be harder to get a high score then

BUT...Looking back and after having thought about it more, I'd expect that, although more people in total will get high results in August (since more write it then), it will be balanced by more low results as well

Exactly. The distribution of scores is the same (or similar) for every test, regardless of when the test was written.

But wouldn't there be some sort of skew? As in, maybe post-grad students who take a year off would write it before the summer even starts. And these type of students may be even more well-prepared than general undergrad writers in the summer?

This is just one example or case..

Archived