Premed 101 Forums

Invites out! (stats)

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Invited. Thankful, but I wonder how close to the cutoff I was?

IP

GPA 3.79

MCAT 31O

Lots of Research, Volunteering, community service, etc. Average amount of stuff. 3 years of working in various industrial positions in B.C. and Alberta. I think my refs were fairly good.

So excited!

So it seems like they interviewed like 65ish OOP people last year for about 22-23 spots. Is that correct? Does anyone know if the waitlist at U of A for OOP applicants moves alot as it does at the U of S? Any insight would be great

I wouldn't imagine it moves quite as fast as Sask because you have to have insanely great stats to get an OOP interview there, which means you'll likely get into another school and go there instead. Nothing against saskatchewan it's just the majority of people do end up in their home province. I would say my class's OOP population is mostly from Ontario plus some from BC. U of A is kind to Ontarians in a sense because your absolute MCAT is king rather than section specific cutoffs ie. you get at 39R with a 9 in verbal.

So it probably moves a bit slower than Sask and Calgary, if I were to make an educated guess. But who knows.

Congrats to everyone who got interviews, btw holy MCAT scores...

See you in a month!

invited

IP

3.68 (beartracks)

35R

double bachelors / 2 years working as a prof. teacher so good ECs and references

May I ask if you have a bachelor of education and were you a teacher in a public school? Asking as I might do this route if I don't get into med this cycle.

Sad face, I was kinda hoping to not have to pin everything on one interview.

No invite, in-province, somewhere around 3.6 cgpa, 38T mcat, MSc, years of working as a teacher and community involvement ECs as well as research 'n stuff.

Kinda puzzled really, since grades are ranked higher at U of C while U of A gives MCAT scores much more weight... U of A should be playing exactly to the strongest points of my application.

Sad face, I was kinda hoping to not have to pin everything on one interview.

No invite, in-province, somewhere around 3.6 cgpa, 38T mcat, MSc, years of working as a teacher and community involvement ECs as well as research 'n stuff.

Kinda puzzled really, since grades are ranked higher at U of C while U of A gives MCAT scores much more weight... U of A should be playing exactly to the strongest points of my application.

I don't think thats true. UofA's grade scale is set whereas UofC is subjective. Hence somoene with a 3.5cGPA can score a 40 (I know someone who did). For UofA, the GPA is out of 30 and I have been told that 3.3 is 0 and the scale moves upward from there. Either that or each GPA point after 3.3 is given cloes to 4.25%. So UofA is more about grades and calgary less. Also remember that the supplementary for UofA and UofC are quite different.

At the end, you have one interview and I would be happy with one rather than none.

Invited!:)

cGPA: 3.78

MCAT: 30Q

EC: Academic Tutor 4+ years, organizing fundraisers for med research, 1 summer as research assistant. Not too much hospital related stuff but some shadowing

So excited

Congrats! you have stats quite similar to mine.

Is there any information on cutoffs etc?

Wow, there are some beastly MCATs in here.

Yeah I'm also surprised you didn't get an interview.

EDIT:

V V V

MCAT: 15 BS, 15 PS, 11V, Q: 41Q

Wow there's another one, is edmonton MCAT city or something?

Archived