Premed 101 Forums

Invites out! (stats)

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So far, it looks like (to me) that the IP people who are getting interviews tend to have huuuuuuuuuuge GPAs and some may also have huuuuuuuuuuuuuge MCATs. However, it seems that GPA>MCAT as a deciding factor right now (impossible to judge EC's and at this point, reference letters have not been scored).

Based on that, I can see why I did not make the cut ;)

So far, it looks like (to me) that the IP people who are getting interviews tend to have huuuuuuuuuuge GPAs and some may also have huuuuuuuuuuuuuge MCATs. However, it seems that GPA>MCAT as a deciding factor right now (impossible to judge EC's and at this point, reference letters have not been scored).

Based on that, I can see why I did not make the cut ;)

cGPA 3.56 according to their site (although I'm pretty sure that's wrong, I figured it was closer to 3.7) and 33Q MCAT.

I received an interview. Am wondering if there is a subjective component to the academic score (like UofC) since I have a Masters as well which maybe bumped me up? My extracurriculars are pretty standard, so I don't think I killed that section either...but who knows.

Yes. That's what it said in the invite info.

So they invite 480 students. How many are OOP? How many are rurals? How many are 2/3 years? How many are Aboriginal? I am trying to determine the probability of being accepted from the different groups.

There will be 167 seats

- 125 IP 4 years

- 27 IP 2/3 years

- 10 Rural

- 5 Aboriginal

- 15% OOP

REF: http://www.med.ualberta.ca/education/ume/admissions/dofm_stats.cfm

So they invite 480 students. How many are OOP? How many are rurals? How many are 2/3 years? How many are Aboriginal? I am trying to determine the probability of being accepted from the different groups.

There will be 167 seats

- 125 IP 4 years

- 27 IP 2/3 years

- 10 Rural

- 5 Aboriginal

- 15% OOP

REF: http://www.med.ualberta.ca/education/ume/admissions/dofm_stats.cfm

It's not 125 IP 4th year students. 125 includes OOP 4th year students as well. Same goes for 2/3 yr applicants and rural

Invited!

GPA: 3.78 as calculated by Alberta. (2.3 GPA first year)

MCAT: 15 BS, 15 PS, 11V, Q: 41Q

ECs: Terrible. On volunteering/leadership sections I only had one very small, insignificant activity.

Letters: Average

Thank god for the MCAT, i guess!

Do you mind telling us your GPA for second, third and if possible forth? Thanks

Do you mind telling us your GPA for second, third and if possible forth? Thanks

Second year was 3.85, third year was 3.72. Fourth, 3.94 first semester it looks like. The interesting thing is having an atrocious first year GPA allows me to show an upward trend, but with U of A's system, doesn't technically punish my GPA. Best of both worlds!

May I ask if you have a bachelor of education and were you a teacher in a public school? Asking as I might do this route if I don't get into med this cycle.

With a bachelors of education and a bachelors of science. But, instead of working in Alberta Ed schools, I've been hopping around the world and working at bilingual international schools (so, I can still teach science & teach in English).

Get real life experience. Most my friends in Med school are jealous that I managed to see the world while they went straight into school. And, it gives you tonnes to talk about in the autobiographical summaries and during ethics questions (like CASPer)

Second year was 3.85, third year was 3.72. Fourth, 3.94 first semester it looks like. The interesting thing is having an atrocious first year GPA allows me to show an upward trend, but with U of A's system, doesn't technically punish my GPA. Best of both worlds!

+1. I liked that about UofA

3.17 first year, but doesn't even count, so GPA is 3.91.

invited also!!!

3.68 cGPA

MCAT: 32 R

EC: hospital ER volunteer, highschool counsellor and tutor in a busy calgary highschool, two summers of research: one to synthesize anti-diabetic drugs and another within a clinical lab in a hospital in scotland, lots of travelling, volunteering 600+ hours with a student club teaching review sessions,

I applied to u of C and u of A last year also, was rejected by u of C pre interview, and u of A post interview

rejected by u of C again this year, but hopefully this is my year with u of A! Good luck to everybody at their interview :D

Rejected

Completed B.Sc

Alberta GPA:.3.93

MCAT: 13/10/12 O

ECs: Hospital volunteering (4+ years), tutoring (4+ years), exec on some clubs, and lots of research but no publications.

References: Volunteer supervisor and research supervisor

I was expecting this since I didnt spend much time on my application. I know my ECs and my references were good since I got interviews at UofT and Queens. Good luck to everyone else!

Rejected

Completed B.Sc

ECs: Hospital volunteering (4+ years), tutoring (4+ years), exec on some clubs, and lots of research but no publications.

I was expecting this since I didnt spend much time on my application. I know my ECs and my references were good since I got interviews at UofT and Queens. Good luck to everyone else!

Rejected

Completed B.Sc

Rejected

Completed B.Sc

Rejected

Completed B.Sc

Archived