Premed 101 Forums

writing sample

Guest UBC student

Guest UBC student

how important is the writing sample? Im scoring well on the other three sections but my writing sample is very low (Im taking Kaplan course)

I think Im fulfilling all three tasks...but they keep saying Im not.

I don't wanna have to write the mcat AGAIN just because of the writing sample~!~!

Please help~T_T

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there UBC student,

I don't want to stress you during the last week or so of preparation, but if you're thinking of applying to U. of Alberta this year then the writing sample just got a whole lot more important.

It might be an idea to go in for a little extra help in the next few days to at least try and get the big payback of nailing the three, absolutely required tasks. If you can do those then you're guaranteed, what is it, a three on each essay? That will yield roughly an "O" writing sample score, which is a lot better than an "L" or "M".

Good luck,

Kirsteen

Wow...I've been getting consistent 10's on the WS, go me.

So I assume a "10" with Kaplan equates to a T? What percentile would that put me in?

If only my WS score compensated for my BS section...

Guest winnipegmedder

T is the highest score you will ever see.

at university of manitoba, a "10" in WS means a P

the conversion works like this

T = 14

S = 13

R = 12

... etc

Its sort of a raw deal, because they just started averaging this WS score into your "composite". It used to be just a cutoff minimum that you had to get, and they would average your 3 multiple choice sections.

Even more painful is that U of M is a 50% mcat school

Archived