Premed 101 Forums

Childrens Hospital

*HopefulMD

Hi guys,

I was wondering what the best childrens hospitals are in the country? BC childrens? Sick kids Toronto? Stollery Edmonton?

Like.. Which ones receive most credit for being where the most prestigious? Or do all cities have equally good childrens hospitals?

If anyone has links as well, that would be amazing.

Thank you!

Is it just me or is "Hospital for Sick Children" a redundant/stupid name... As if there is a hospital for unsick children.

They should call it something something Children's Hospital. I can't work for a hospital with a stupid name!

Most people just call it 'Sick Kids' but I see what you mean haha

I would think it would depend on the specialty. I know people who have gone from Sick Kids to CHEO and vise versa depending on the procedure that needed to be done.

The Sick Kids in Toronto and the Alberta Children's Hospital in Calgary are the two top children's hospitals in Canada. Both of these have the most money pumped into them far and away compared to the others.

Although there are no definite "rankings," I think in talking to many residents and docs out there you would come to the same answer w/ Toronto followed by Calgary.

try not to worry too much about "top" programs.

we med students/residents are so type A, it's hard to follow that advice. i could post the same thing in a thousand threads on here (and i've asked similar questions myself).

but really - the "best" program by consensus may not provide the best experience for you. what kind of pediatrician do you want to be? what environment do you want to work in (rural, urban, super duper tertiary?) are you heavily research focused, or are you interested in clinically treating as many sick, complicated kids as possible and having a high level of responsibility? how many other residents are there? fellows? are there staff in your field of interest? are the residents happy in the program? and most importantly - DO YOU WANT TO LIVE THERE FOR 4-5 YEARS?

the type of physican you'll become is dependent on the experiences you seek out. ditto goes for choosing an undergrad/med school. something that drives me crazy is hearing med students talk about they BRILLIANT neurosurgeon they worked with, who has 10 zillion publications in nature and created a robot that can fly to mars. yet they're applying for obs/gyne, or internal medicine or something. you don't learn through osmosis just by being in the same room as these people.

slight rant that doesn't answer your question - but just a general thought. find a peds program that sounds like it's a good fit for your personality and career goals. just because they can perform full body transpants at sick kids doesn't mean they train the best pediatricians. (bearing in mind that i'm not a peds resident!)

Guest copacetic
Is it just me or is "Hospital for Sick Children" a redundant/stupid name... As if there is a hospital for unsick children.

They should call it something something Children's Hospital. I can't work for a hospital with a stupid name!

the funny thing is that i have a classmate here in the states who was bugging me about the redundant name. Being canadian i vehemetly defended the name saying it makes perfect sense...but i have to admit (to my fellow canadians of course) that perhaps indeed the name is a tad bit overplayed....then again...i never said that...and i was never here:cool:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived