Premed 101 Forums

Jagiellonian university medical college poland

champ

Does anyone have any experience with this school? I am trying to decied if I should apply. It seems to have residency agreements in california and new york state. its also the better english speaking med school in poland. But you cant really trust what a school posts on their website so I thought id see if there are some knowledgable people on this forum that could help me out or guide me in the right direction.

I am also open to other international schools but Im not sure which ones are the best to apply to...regarding coming back to canada.

I really wanted to get back to canada as a CSA after the 4 year md degree but I know it doesnt look so good after looking at the posted 2010 carms matching stats.

I have a 11/8/12/Q (I am not going to rewrite ive tried before but never got above an 8 in verbal). I have a 3.85 cgpa and all standard pre reqs minus one english semester. Any suggestions for possible schools to apply to? at this point I am searching for any possible alternative and I am leaning away from the carribean as a viable route and austrailia with the internship crisis which will prolyl get worse with time.

Does anyone have any experience with this school? I am trying to decied if I should apply. It seems to have residency agreements in california and new york state. its also the better english speaking med school in poland. But you cant really trust what a school posts on their website so I thought id see if there are some knowledgable people on this forum that could help me out or guide me in the right direction.

I am also open to other international schools but Im not sure which ones are the best to apply to...regarding coming back to canada.

I really wanted to get back to canada as a CSA after the 4 year md degree but I know it doesnt look so good after looking at the posted 2010 carms matching stats.

I have a 11/8/12/Q (I am not going to rewrite ive tried before but never got above an 8 in verbal). I have a 3.85 cgpa and all standard pre reqs minus one english semester. Any suggestions for possible schools to apply to? at this point I am searching for any possible alternative and I am leaning away from the carribean as a viable route and austrailia with the internship crisis which will prolyl get worse with time.

I dont know anything about this school so can't comment on that. If you are trying to get back to Canada for residency then while all options are hard, the best regional match rates come from Australia & NZ (check CARMS regional data for figures). With your marks you are probably competitive in Australia for some schools (like ours) but, as you have said, internship is likely to be a limiting factor. Email me or message me if you have any questions.

Maybe someone else will have a better idea about the POlish schools- good luck!

Lyndal

I dont know anything about this school so can't comment on that. If you are trying to get back to Canada for residency then while all options are hard, the best regional match rates come from Australia & NZ (check CARMS regional data for figures). With your marks you are probably competitive in Australia for some schools (like ours) but, as you have said, internship is likely to be a limiting factor. Email me or message me if you have any questions.

Maybe someone else will have a better idea about the POlish schools- good luck!

Lyndal

Can you post the link to the regional matching rates?

Can you post the link to the regional matching rates?

Sure, will see if I can find it. I believe I have it as a PDF but it may be on their website also?

EDIT: Found it! I had it as a pdf, I downoaded from the CARMS site last yar - I assume its still up there. Here are the 2010 match rates for IMGs by region for both iterations of the match. I had always been told the match rates were under 50% for canadians going home- thats true, but there is a big variation by region. Oceania/Pacific Islands has a match of around 64% and that includes Australia and New Zealanad predominantly and a few smaller south pacific med schools. Also, these stats are all IMGs - according to the people I have spoken to at CARMS candian citizens fair better than this again. Dont get me wrong, this is still a tough road, but it is important to get a feel for the reality of the match sitution.

IMGs by Region_1stand2nd Iteration_en.pdf

Sure, will see if I can find it. I believe I have it as a PDF but it may be on their website also?

EDIT: Found it! I had it as a pdf, I downoaded from the CARMS site last yar - I assume its still up there. Here are the 2010 match rates for IMGs by region for both iterations of the match. I had always been told the match rates were under 50% for canadians going home- thats true, but there is a big variation by region. Oceania/Pacific Islands has a match of around 64% and that includes Australia and New Zealanad predominantly and a few smaller south pacific med schools. Also, these stats are all IMGs - according to the people I have spoken to at CARMS candian citizens fair better than this again. Dont get me wrong, this is still a tough road, but it is important to get a feel for the reality of the match sitution.

I've a question for you lyndal. I came across that source last year, and I wrote some comments about it, I've reposted it here:

http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42987&page=2

International Medical Graduates by Region of Graduation

2010 R-1 Match - 1st and 2nd Iteration

Region of Graduation

Oceania/Pacific Islands

Participants

Matched

1) These number seem too small. Only 39 Australian Med students applied through CaRMs, and it didn't even mention if they were all Canadians.

My question is, can the 39 be representative of the TOTAL number of Canadians who finished med school and are applying for residencies this year? I seriously doubt that 39 is reflective of the true number. Why? Check these following links: http://www.canada.com/edmontonjournal/news/story.html?id=32f7eb85-625f-4ced-8539-c69c04029712

"...are enrolled at the University of Queensland medical school, where at least 50 students from Canada will begin studies early next year." -> This was back in 2007.

http://www.cmaj.ca/cgi/content/full/176/8/1069

"The survey revealed that 222 Canadians are studying at 3 Australian universities" --> this was also in 2007.

Currently, Oztrekk has SEVEN Australian medical schools that accept Canadians. I actually attended one of their sessions in 2008. At that time, the lower end of their schools accepted around 20 - 30 foreign students, while their larger schools around 50 foreign students, the majority of which is filled by Canadians. I assume that with the situation in Canada in 2008-2010, the number of Canadians going abroad, like Australia, probably increased, or at best, increased only slightly. There are most likely more than 222 Canadians in Australia now. Also, in 2007, "at least 50" Canadians went to University of Queensland. Do you know why they said "AT LEAST 50'? Because they actually don't know the total number of Canadians who went to Australia. My question is, how can 39 be representative of the entire graduating number of Canadians ready for residency this year, when in ONE SCHOOL ALONE, you have "AT LEAST 50" Canadians going into that academic year? Do you know what I think? I think the remaining 11+ missing Canadians applied for Australian residencies, US residencies, and God knows what else.

So out of (say) 50+ or more Canadians, or however many there are that were ready for residency this year, only 39 had the guts to apply for CaRMs, and only 25 matched, so at best, around 50%, the numbers are much more sobering if you look at it like that.

How can you say Oceania offers the best match back results when people like me look at the same data, and are NOT convinced at all?

Mashemetoo- having read your previous posts Im not going to get into an argument about the numbers.

64% of the students from Oceania in the CARMS data matched. Thats a higher percentage than other regions based on the data CARMS have provided. That would fit with the figures given to me by the NRMP verbally which had higher match rates overall, but again rated Australia and New Zealand highly. Not saying this is an easy option but seems statistically a better choice than some other geographic regions based on these figures.

You have commented that 39 seems too low when so many Canaidan students study in Australia. My suggestion is that "the others" probably stayed put in Australia. There has not been difficulty in the past in securing Australian internships (although we all know it will happen in the future). Canadians are well known anecdotally for choosing to do their internships in Australia and even staying longer - many just do not go home either initially or at all. Of our graduating class of 2010 internationals (6 students) only one has applied for CARMS - the one who has a husband waiting at home for her - the others have stayed in Australia and are currently doing their internship. They chose to stay for various reasons - some have formed relaionships with Australians during their time here, others brought their whole family here and had no intention on going home and others had Australian partners when they arrived (the reason they are in Australian med schools in the first place). All gained internships in NSW. I'm sure our stats are not unusual. Now I'm not suggesting it will look like this in the future, just trying to provide some stats from CARMs if people havent seen them.

Cheers

Lyndal

Lyndal, could you elaborate on the NRMP info regarding Aus/NZ? Also, are there any new developments regarding NSW internship spots? Are any of the UOW internationals doing their internship in Sydney?

Agree with the rest of your post. Contrary to what a prior post seems to be implying I think the main reason many recent Canadians grads bypassed CaRMS was not that they lacked "guts"/were scared but that they had already established themselves in Australia and want to settle here. At Flinders, at least, that seems to be the case with Canadian grads who've skipped the match that I've talked to.

Lyndal, could you elaborate on the NRMP info regarding Aus/NZ? Also, are there any new developments regarding NSW internship spots? Are any of the UOW internationals doing their internship in Sydney?

Agree with the rest of your post. Contrary to what a prior post seems to be implying I think the main reason many recent Canadians grads bypassed CaRMS was not that they lacked "guts"/were scared but that they had already established themselves in Australia and want to settle here. At Flinders, at least, that seems to be the case with Canadian grads who've skipped the match that I've talked to.

When I spoke to NRMP face to face last (in 2009) they commented on the high match rate for Oz/NZ graduates - that they "almost always" (their words) matched and as long as they scored well on the USMLE they should not have any difficulty. I will be hoping to chat with them again this year so will ask them whether that still holds true.

Have not heard anything new about NSW internship spots - I wouldnt expect to hear much until later in the year.

Of our international graduates most did their internship in Wollongong, one in Newcastle and (I think) one in Sydney. trying to remember. But they all got their first preference :)

• 3 weeks later...

Champ, I never asked this before but you should be good for Canada....maybe you should try again for the MCAT? Verbal really only does get better with practice and I believe Calgary doesn't have a cutoff for VR

Archived