Premed 101 Forums

Master's Degree Question?

Hey, I was wondering what are some possible options after finishing a Master's degree. There is the option of reapplying to med school or finishing a PhD, but I am focusing on career wise. Is there a job out there for the majority of grad students if one does not wish to presue the mentioned above?

Yeah I am thinking about a master's degree in a science field, and hmm how hard is it to get into these research labs? Is it a reliable and safe career?

hi there, the job market is okay, depending on your previous work experience and the city you live in. however, i can't see myself assisting others in doing research (ie. a tech) for the rest of my life.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah you're basically looking at the following jobs:

1. Teach at community college

2. Teacher assistant at more prestigious universities

3. Lab technician/research assistant

4. Government research jobs

5. Industry jobs.

#1, 2, 4 and probably on the more stable and well-paid side but the jobs are scarce.

3 & 4 are highly unreliable and while industry jobs can be lucrative, it's not a particularly large market in Canada.

#3 also pays like ****.

I am confused, what is your motivation for doing a masters degree?? Are you planning on using it as a stepping stone to med? That is what I am doing, but you REALLY have to like research, or you will hate the next 2-3 years of your life.

Why would you not want to do a PhD? Frankly, I think that being a lab-tech/research assistant/industry researcher would be terrible in comparison to doing a PhD, as I really don't think it would be stimulating enough.

Just finished my MSc, and I've gotta say the options are pretty limited dude. I'm in biochem with a focus on mass spec, so for me there're a fair number of analytical tech jobs, but the pay is not usually commessurate with the effort and years of education. Most industry stuff I've checked out seems to require more experience than fresh-out-of-school. Your mileage may vary... I haven't looked too hard because I'm waiting for the 13th :)

Archived