Premed 101 Forums

Your non-altruistic side

Erk

Pretty sure almost everyone here legitimately does have a good, 'pure hearted' reason for wanting to be a doc, so play nice with this. I was just thinking it would be fun to vent our less pure reasons (I know, there's probably a thread like this already on here somewhere, but I couldn't find it).

So, what about our 'id'? What would you say is the self-serving drive for you to pursue a career in medicine? Money? Respect? Love of stethoscopes? Irrational fear of banker's hours?

I think for me, my non-altruistic goal is job security. Most of the other stuff I want I could get in research, but not security. I don't mind the community respect either.

That, and I watched too much Scrubs around the time I decided to apply to med school and now my path is set.

money money money, i'm the kinda guy that enjoys lots of different things and can be happy doing a lot of different jobs, but lets be honest, none of them have the stability and guaranteed good pay of medicine, none of them also offer the ability to generate such large amounts of capital for investment, which, if you put in the research, can be very rewarding.

My non altruistic reason for being a doctor? I love learning about medicine and I want to finally take courses in something I'm interested in. Also, I'm sort of creepy lol I want to do dissections! Heh... If saying that doesn't make me some friends on this forum, I dunno what will :)

The lengthened life span in the twilight years. Amazingly, a lot of old people give up on life because they feel irrelevant/have no work to do. I don't find that with doctors as much.

Also, related to that first answer, (semi-)privileged access to health care resources. Hand-in-hand with this are the connections you make as a doctor. ;)

+1 and add to that smart - plus some are really quirky/ odd which makes them even hotter imo ;)

Also have to edit and add clothes + make-up i.e. not having to worry about it. I own more jeans, hoodies, t-shirts and tank tops than I should and more adidas shoes that can fit into closet! Not a heels, dress-up, wear make-up type gahl and not having a job that evaluates me on this is a major plus.

Doctors are hot.

+1 and add to that smart - plus some are really quirky/ odd which makes them even hotter imo ;)

Also have to edit and add clothes + make-up i.e. not having to worry about it. I own more jeans, hoodies, t-shirts and tank tops than I should and more adidas shoes that can fit into closet! Not a heels, dress-up, wear make-up type gahl and not having a job that evaluates me on this is a major plus.

I def have to say job and financial security.

I also have to say that I love a girl who isn't into wearing all the make-up in the world. It's awesome to see someone who is just chill instead of someone who is 100% how they look! :)

I def have to say job and financial security.

I also have to say that I love a girl who isn't into wearing all the make-up in the world. It's awesome to see someone who is just chill instead of someone who is 100% how they look! :)

To add to that last point, it's also nice to see a girl who looks great when she's not wearing make-up.

yeah, dressing up everyday is pretty lame imo, when i'm an attending i'm rocking the adidas shoes jeans and t shirt with the occasional lululemon hoodie...

i remember i got in trouble in clinical skills once for throwing a sweater vest over my usual get up, lolz... i was wearing black jeans, i don't see what the big deal is :cool: , maybe the preceptor didn't like my sneakers

that's the other thing i like about medicine, the specialties i'm interested let me work for myself, so i get to make the rules, no hospital watching my back all the time!

..Coming from a woman.

I know many women who are very well off financially in their twenties/ early thirties - funny but some of them have a business degree and some married a rich guy, are now living it up. Honestly, I do not want their life of never ending shopping, traveling, shopping and traveling.. oh and frequenting bars on fridays. I am not jealous, instead I find it so sad. Cause when they are not busy shopping and traveling they are complaining about their job or their rich husband and how much they hate it/him etc etc etc.

My egotistic goal to do medicine is to have a job that I love and feel proud of doing. I want to go to sleep with a clear conscience that I am becoming somebody and that I have pursued my dream and made it happen. No one can take that satisfaction away from me.

I don't want to become one of those miserable women who (when they found out about your medical school pursuit) say "Oh, that's what I wanted to be, but for reasons 1,2,3 I decided to go into business/geology etc" - but what they want you to hear is " I am just as smart and capable as you and COULD have become a doctor but for reasons 1,2,3 being a doctor sucks" . I know that they are jealous of my pursuits cause deep inside they know that money is only a residual. I don't want to be like them. I want to be that despicable doctor.

My2c (sorry for ranting - this topic has been growing in my head for a while!!!):D

..Coming from a woman.

I know many women who are very well off financially in their twenties/ early thirties - funny but some of them have a business degree and some married a rich guy, are now living it up. Honestly, I do not want their life of never ending shopping, traveling, shopping and traveling.. oh and frequenting bars on fridays. I am not jealous, instead I find it so sad. Cause when they are not busy shopping and traveling they are complaining about their job or their rich husband and how much they hate it/him etc etc etc.

My egotistic goal to do medicine is to have a job that I love and feel proud of doing. I want to go to sleep with a clear conscience that I am becoming somebody and that I have pursued my dream and made it happen. No one can take that satisfaction away from me.

I don't want to become one of those miserable women who (when they found out about your medical school pursuit) say "Oh, that's what I wanted to be, but for reasons 1,2,3 I decided to go into business/geology etc" - but what they want you to hear is " I am just as smart and capable as you and COULD have become a doctor but for reasons 1,2,3 being a doctor sucks" . I know that they are jealous of my pursuits cause deep inside they know that money is only a residual. I don't want to be like them. I want to be that despicable doctor.

My2c (sorry for ranting - this topic has been growing in my head for a while!!!):D

Man, I don't know the women you are talking about, but you just described too many of my old undergrad friends who had doctor dreams and never even tried to pursue them out of fear of failure. It really is sad. I feel weirdly guilty because I'm closer than they got, but I never really wanted to be medical in undergrad (thought I'd enjoy research much more than I do).

I never wear heels. I fractured a vertebra in my back years ago, so there is just no way I'm going to put that kind of strain on my back. Plus, I have extremely wide feet (2E width) and they just don't make heels that wide.

On those occasions where I have to wear a suit, or if I go to a formal occasion, I wear a nice pair of flats that are dressy.

Yikes! Glad you're ok today. My reasons are a bit more superficial lol. I just feel like this when I do and I rather feeling comfortable over feeling I'm pretending to be whatever.

I don't even own a suit!! Has gotten me in trouble a few times with the boss, but whatever, you can still look put together and professional without one (when absolutely necessary I do add heels lool) :P

I never wear heels. I fractured a vertebra in my back years ago, so there is just no way I'm going to put that kind of strain on my back. Plus, I have extremely wide feet (2E width) and they just don't make heels that wide.

On those occasions where I have to wear a suit, or if I go to a formal occasion, I wear a nice pair of flats that are dressy.

Lululemon's the best! Although, I find they have better casual/ everyday stuff for guys than girls, I just love the fact that they offer amazing yoga classes (free) twice a week :)

yeah, dressing up everyday is pretty lame imo, when i'm an attending i'm rocking the adidas shoes jeans and t shirt with the occasional lululemon hoodie...

The lengthened life span in the twilight years. Amazingly, a lot of old people give up on life because they feel irrelevant/have no work to do. I don't find that with doctors as much.

+1

My anatomy prof is 70+ and is a total beast. She made close to a mil last year, won major awards, was in a car accident a few months ago, but is back as the head of our unit this term. She broke all her ribs except for the first 3, fractured her femur, I think broke her forearm, etc. but now shes back teaching us 4 months later all titanium'd up like nothing ever happened. I just call her the terminator now. :rolleyes:

Archived