Premed 101 Forums

How good are my ECs?

Mugenn

Hey guys,

I read the sticky about not starting anymore 'what are my chances' threads, but I need some perspective as to whether I should apply to meds next fall or not (I am in third year now) - assuming I do decent on MCATs this summer. My best 2 years wGPA is 3.85 and UofT wGPA is 3.9. Overall about 3.8..

So my main problem is my ECs. Please let me know if this would cut it:

- 1 international conference poster presentation

- second author on another poster (in a different field)

- (most likely also second author on paper in medium-impact journal (factor of about 15))

- 1 summer working in industry + 2 years research at university

- editor of journal of undergrad life sci at uoft for 1 year

- work experience: pharmacy assistant, tour guide at real estate agency, waitressing (2 yrs), wonderland (summer), baskin robbins (long time ago)

- tutoring for 2 years in chm/physics

- orientation leader twice

- other minor involvements (i.e., 2 years in cultural club - non -leadership though, shadowing research-surgeries, helping out with teaching workshops, etc.)

So, what do you think, what are my chances with this? I realize I lack clinical experience (I would volunteer starting this summer) - overall, worth investing the time on applying now or should I wait another year to build resume?

Hey guys,

I read the sticky about not starting anymore 'what are my chances' threads, but I need some perspective as to whether I should apply to meds next fall or not (I am in third year now) - assuming I do decent on MCATs this summer. My best 2 years wGPA is 3.85 and UofT wGPA is 3.9. Overall about 3.8..

So my main problem is my ECs. Please let me know if this would cut it:

- 1 international conference poster presentation

- second author on another poster (in a different field)

- (most likely also second author on paper in medium-impact journal (factor of about 15))

- 1 summer working in industry + 2 years research at university

- editor of journal of undergrad life sci at uoft for 1 year

- work experience: pharmacy assistant, tour guide at real estate agency, waitressing (2 yrs), wonderland (summer), baskin robbins (long time ago)

- tutoring for 2 years in chm/physics

- orientation leader twice

- other minor involvements (i.e., 2 years in cultural club - non -leadership though, shadowing research-surgeries, helping out with teaching workshops, etc.)

So, what do you think, what are my chances with this? I realize I lack clinical experience (I would volunteer starting this summer) - overall, worth investing the time on applying now or should I wait another year to build resume?

A lot will depend on your MCATs. With high MCAT scores, you would probably get several interviews and might even get in. With a not-so-great MCAT score, you still may get an interview or two (and still would have a chance of getting in).

I think it's always best to give it a shot. Applying is a lot of work and costs a fair bit of money. But even if you are unsuccessful, applying now will give you more experience for the cycle next year and will help you refine your application.

so if people actually said 'don't apply', you wouldn't? if you've looked into it at all, you would know that you are competitive (barring a poor mcat), or have a chance at the very least, and should apply... what would be the reason not to apply? the only people that should be legitimately wondering whether or not to apply, are people who have butchered a few years of their GPA, have extremely minimal/weak extra-curriculars, low MCAT, etc.

clinical experience is nice to have, but not required... look into getting some clinical exposure this summer while studying for the mcat

regardless of whether or not you do get in this year, it's always worth having a year of experience for future applications

so if people actually said 'don't apply', you wouldn't? if you've looked into it at all, you would know that you are competitive (barring a poor mcat), or have a chance at the very least, and should apply... what would be the reason not to apply?

My reason for not applying would be to put the time spent on the whole process to more volunteering/ecs... It's always a trade-off with time, no matter what you do, so that was my reason for asking

You have a decent amount of ECs & your GPA is competitive. It's not always the number of things you do that matter but also how you describe them to the admissions committee.

I would apply ... the application process is time consuming but don't forget it also gives you a better idea of how the process works & practise for interviews if you don't get in!

My reason for not applying would be to put the time spent on the whole process to more volunteering/ecs... It's always a trade-off with time, no matter what you do, so that was my reason for asking

i guess, but being unsure of whether or not you will get in isn't a good reason to not even put in the time and try... regardless, i would say definitely apply

those ECs look great. I wouldnt say they are a problem at all.

Agreed. OP, you have great marks and solid ECs. Sweet research accomplishments for an undergrad. A side point you may not have considered: make sure to note your waitressing as character building/managing demanding customers etc. (I'm sure this was the case...it's a demanding job).

Overall, DEFINITELY apply. You'll get all your ECs/referees/verifiers down at the very least. At most, you will be in medical school. Worth the money.

Guest copacetic

youll make a great med student. in the face of mountains and loads of life accomplishments we perpetually ask ourselves "are we good enough", and how can we be better

;)

How is the application process time consuming? Other than a couple of admissions essays (which most schools don't even require anymore) and getting your referees together there isn't much to do...and between the OMSAS deadline in the beginning of October and interview season, which is February/March, there's nothing

I say do it, it'll put you down a few hundred bucks but, even if you don't get in, the experience of the application process will be educational in itself, especially if you get an interview

Archived