Premed 101 Forums

Dal Med Class of 2015

Hey all!!! I just wanted to take this chance to let you know that the class of 2014 has made a few Facebook groups to start to get to know you all! At Dal, the med 1's and 2's are pretty tight, and we're excited to meet the incoming class :). We've made a group for the overall class, as well as one for the Dal Med New Brunswick class of 2015 (us NBer's are EXTREMELY excited to have another class around, haha).

Here are the links, guys. My name is James Milne, and if you'd like, you can add me up on FB if you have any questions you'd like answered.

DalMed 2015: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_191068370933408&ap=1

DMNB 2015: http://www.facebook.com/search.php?q=Dalhousie%20medicine%202015&init=quick&tas=0.6354521637999898&ref=ts#!/home.php?sk=group_144860392243444

It looks like the general group is still being worked on, but I'll keep you guys updated about what's going on.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry guys, I actually only set up the DMNB one myself, haha. I'm going to give Danny a call to see if we can sort that out. In the meantime, get off FB, call your parents, and let them know the outcome of your app, haha.

UPDATE: We've made an actual group for the general class of 2015. The link is posted above in my original post :).

Has anybody tried to pay the deposit yet? When I try to log in, it says "Your Web access has been disabled. This is caused by five or more consecutive failed login attempts. Please contact us to re-activate your PIN."

Also, Did anyone who got accepted have their status on DalOnline (where we created our application) change from "Written Notification to Follow" to "accepted"?

If your account has been disabled, that's no problem- just call the Dal registrars office and explain what happened (multiple log-in attempts I presume?)...they will reset the account and give you your original p/w...then you are all set.

For myself I paid my fee through online banking...you can add Dalhousie University as a payee under bill payments, and then use your B00 number as the account number...bada bing bada boom $200.00 poorer!

If your account has been disabled, that's no problem- just call the Dal registrars office and explain what happened (multiple log-in attempts I presume?)...they will reset the account and give you your original p/w...then you are all set.

For myself I paid my fee through online banking...you can add Dalhousie University as a payee under bill payments, and then use your B00 number as the account number...bada bing bada boom $200.00 poorer!

Thanks! It seems like it's not just me who are having the problem with Student Accounts. I called the admission office and IT help (?), and they told me that other people are having the same problem. If you are currently not a Dalhousie student, it won't let you log-in and just say "Your Web access has been disabled. This is caused by five or more consecutive failed login attempts. Please contact us to re-activate your PIN."

Apparently, it's because I am not an official dal student yet, so it does not recognize my banner number. They advised me to call the Student Account and pay it over the phone.

Has anybody tried to pay the deposit yet? When I try to log in, it says "Your Web access has been disabled. This is caused by five or more consecutive failed login attempts. Please contact us to re-activate your PIN."

Also, Did anyone who got accepted have their status on DalOnline (where we created our application) change from "Written Notification to Follow" to "accepted"?

Mine has changed now to Accepted - Deposit Requested.

I paid the deposit yesterday morning, so hopefully will hear from the med office soon via e-mail!

Yea I had an issue with the deposit last night too. Same problem everyone seems to be having. Im gonna try to call the school inbetween classes today. Has anyone tried calling yet?? If so whats the deal, are they gonna fix it all or are we gonna have to pay over the phone.

Yea I had an issue with the deposit last night too. Same problem everyone seems to be having. Im gonna try to call the school inbetween classes today. Has anyone tried calling yet?? If so whats the deal, are they gonna fix it all or are we gonna have to pay over the phone.

I don't think they are going to fix the problem soon....When I called them, they told me to pay it over the phone (Student Accounts : (902) 494-3998). Hope this helps!

hhmm... I had no trouble paying through the online system, and I'm not a current Dal student. Either way - just make sure you pay it! :)

For summer plans... Just keep working to try and save some money so I don't have too much debt at the end of it all. I'm going to work as much overtime as humanly possible until August, and then I'll take all of August off to relax. I can't wait :)

hhmm... I had no trouble paying through the online system, and I'm not a current Dal student. Either way - just make sure you pay it! :)

For summer plans... Just keep working to try and save some money so I don't have too much debt at the end of it all. I'm going to work as much overtime as humanly possible until August, and then I'll take all of August off to relax. I can't wait :)

Haha chrail we've got opposite philosophies. I'm taking the whole summer off. See you in August!!!!

Agreed!!

Hey, change of pace. But do I read correctly. This years dmnb class had a white coat ceremony and the nb gov gave them stethoscopes??? Wht about us Hali campus folk?!! Lol

I'm pretty sure we get stethoscopes from Doctors Nova Scotia - that's what has been done in past years in Halifax!

Also another note: my dal online now says accepted- deposit received.

I'm pretty sure we get stethoscopes from Doctors Nova Scotia - that's what has been done in past years in Halifax!

Also another note: my dal online now says accepted- deposit received.

Nice!

Damn, my dalonline still wont work. Makin some calls taday.

(Yet another change of pace)- Anyone thought about professional lines of credit yet? when do people normally contact the bank about those? earlier the better?

I found last year's "Don't Panic" guide (http://admissions.medicine.dal.ca/download/Dont_Panic_2010_Edition.pdf).

They'll probably send out a new Don't Panic soon which may provide other information, but on pg. 47 of the .pdf it states that last year MD Management planned to hold a meeting with reps from major banks during O-week, and that these reps may be more knowledgeable about med PLCs than regular bank reps.

Also of interest,

MEMORANDUM

To: faculty, staff, residents, graduate students

Date: March 11, 2011

Re: Expanding the Halifax-based Med I class

When Dalhousie Medicine New Brunswick began last September, the seats for New Brunswick

students in the undergraduate medical education program shifted from Halifax to Saint John.

That left our Halifax-based undergraduate program able to accommodate 10 more students.

From a number of perspectives, this presented us with an opportunity worth seizing. As a result,

we have decided to offer 10 unsubsidized seats to qualified students from Saudi Arabia. The

arrangement will be mutually beneficial.

Saudi Arabia can use physicians with Dalhousie training, especially now that the country has

plans to expand its health care system as a part of a $400 billion five-year development

program. We have a well-established history of successfully training Saudi residents.

Adding undergraduate education to that mix is relatively straightforward. The strong association

of Saudis, here, on the Dalhousie campus, ensures a ready-made cultural community for Saudi

medical students to find support. They will be fluent in English and graduates of North

American universities.

Those factors should help them fit easily into our student body and reduce the learning

difficulties they might otherwise encounter in our environment.

In return for their medical training these Saudi undergraduates will give us a needed source of

new revenue to maintain our current operations. They will be paying the full cost of their

training because they will be taking unsubsidized seats.

New revenue is critically important. We have lost significant funding from the Nova Scotia

government, while our annual ongoing costs have grown to address our accreditation problem.

Senior officials in the Nova Scotia Department of Education and the Department of Health and

Wellness have given their approval in principle to our initiative with the Saudi Arabian

government. Our plan also aligns well with a memorandum of understanding on health care

signed last October by the governments of Canada and Saudi Arabia.

On the strength of a verbal understanding, which we fully expect to formalize shortly in a signed

agreement with the Saudi government, we are proceeding with the admissions process.

We will be interviewing 30 qualified Saudi candidates for 10 openings in our undergraduate

program in Halifax. Saudi candidates will be held to the same admissions and performance

standards as our Canadian students. They will not be competing with their Canadian

counterparts for residencies through the Canadian Resident Matching Service.

We cannot offer these unsubsidized seats to Nova Scotia students unless there is a change in

government policy. The province currently supports 63 undergraduate medical seats. A health

human resources study, however, is now under way to determine how many physicians are

needed and the outcome may influence the number of seats we have to train Nova Scotians.

I hope you will warmly welcome the successful Saudi applicants to our undergraduate medical

education program next fall. Their interest in our program is a compliment to our faculty and

students and to the calibre of our medical education.

so...

there are going to be more seats available for students who are not going to practice in canada than there are for out of province canadian students?

Brutal ain't it?

Wonder how much $$ we're talking about here per year for the Saudi students.

Money is the name of the game ladies and gentlemen. And that sucks.

Archived