Premed 101 Forums

Dal Med Class of 2015

Nice!

Damn, my dalonline still wont work. Makin some calls taday.

(Yet another change of pace)- Anyone thought about professional lines of credit yet? when do people normally contact the bank about those? earlier the better?

I've been in touch with a financial officer at a Cndn med school and he said that it typically only takes a couple of days to set up a line of credit (as long as you have a good credit rating). Apparently they even have representatives from different banks available during frosh week to help students do it before classes start (which is a bit too last minute for my liking)!

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ummm...does this take away from the seats already allocated?

I understand why the school is doing this ($$$), but that's really annoying for us medical school hopefuls from canada.

Hahah as in take away our acceptances???? haha maybe I am reading ur statement wrong but Im gonna say neglatron!

I personally don't agree with this....I don't think it's fair that Canadian students have to compete so much for a limited number of spots, while these international students (nothing against them at all, please don't misunderstand me) can simply buy their way into the program.

I know they said these students will be subject to the same selection process and standards as the other Canadian applicants, but let's be frank: I doubt that'll actually be the case....

I'm not saying this because I'm upset about being WL/rejected... If anything, I'm ecstatic that I was accepted (IP), but I actually do think it's kind of ridiculous that they are giving 10 seats that could very well go to other qualified OOPs/maritimers to international students....wouldn't our Canadian students benefit more? I'm sure they have several good medical schools in Saudi Arabia....how are an extra 10 seats at DAL actually going to improve/re-vamp their health care system that much???.....The things institutions will do for money....

But of course, to each his own...

I believe the email saying that NS currently gives X dollars for dal to take 63 NS's. Theres 10 seats open. No provincial gov is paying for those seats. So Dal can't justify giving those seats to NS's or any other canadians who are going to pay subsidized prices. Its not like medical schools in canada are in it for the money - and they certainly arent in it to loose money, which is what would happen if they were to give NS's the 10 seats without any sort of provincial compensation.

so yea i'd agree that accepting 10 more candians would be ideal, but it would certainly be costly for dal.

I personally don't agree with this....I don't think it's fair that Canadian students have to compete so much for a limited number of spots, while these international students (nothing against them at all, please don't misunderstand me) can simply buy their way into the program.

I know they said these students will be subject to the same selection process and standards as the other Canadian applicants, but let's be frank: I doubt that'll actually be the case....

I'm not saying this because I'm upset about being WL/rejected... If anything, I'm ecstatic that I was accepted (IP), but I actually do think it's kind of ridiculous that they are giving 10 seats that could very well go to other qualified OOPs/maritimers to international students....wouldn't our Canadian students benefit more? I'm sure they have several good medical schools in Saudi Arabia....how are an extra 10 seats at DAL actually going to improve/re-vamp their health care system that much???.....The things institutions will do for money....

But of course, to each his own...

The Saudis spend a lot of money to educate their medical students and residents elsewhere, putatively due to the inadequacies of their own system (for now). They are certainly not "giving" these seats away but will rather be fully funded by the Saudi government. This is comparable to the current IMU program whereby several Malaysian students join our class in Med 3 for clerkship.

Regarding the Saudi students, it's important to remember that the number of seats available to Nova Scotia students is not changing, and that the opportunity to add seats was first provided to the government of Nova Scotia. That decision is a matter of public policy; it is not the school's.

Dalhousie has the infrastructure in place to teach the Saudi students in Halifax now that all of the NB students are in Saint John. It goes without saying that the increase in revenue will be beneficial to students.

This will be hard to stomach for unsuccessful applicants, but this change has no effect on the success of their applications.

--

Dal Med 2013

Nice!

Damn, my dalonline still wont work. Makin some calls taday.

(Yet another change of pace)- Anyone thought about professional lines of credit yet? when do people normally contact the bank about those? earlier the better?

I got set up with mine today. Earlier the better if you have a current LOC in place that has a higher interest rate than what the professional LOC will be.

I got set up with mine today. Earlier the better if you have a current LOC in place that has a higher interest rate than what the professional LOC will be.

Good call. I do not currently have one. I have spoke with my bank and plan to meet with them after exams.

On another note. For anyone still having problems with their dalonline, or for those of you who haven't yet paid the deposit but plan to, it seems it was just miscommunication in the letter. It is not done through dalonline, you pay it the same way we paid our interview deposit - that external site. I did it while on the phone with the registra, but I do believe the intructions were in an email we received around interview time.

I've already met with my bank - I like to have these sorts of things out of the way as soon as possible. I went with RBC - they have a location right next to the Tupper and the lady I met with specializes in Medical and Dental student accounts... plus I have had a bank account there since I was probably ten years old..!

On another random note... does anyone know around when tuition fees are posted? From what I understand, professional programs are not guaranteed to be covered by the 3% tuition hike cap imposed by the NS government... so I'm wondering if the increase in med will exceed 3%?

Did you compare between banks mmel?

I imagine they're all essentially the same, but people often suggest it's good to shop around.

I've always been with CIBC but rarely hear people mention using them for LOCs, and feel no particular loyalty to them other than the hassle involved with changing banks.

Did you compare between banks mmel?

I imagine they're all essentially the same, but people often suggest it's good to shop around.

I've always been with CIBC but rarely hear people mention using them for LOCs, and feel no particular loyalty to them other than the hassle involved with changing banks.

Yeah, I did go to BMO for an appointment and also checked out the other banks online and they all seem to be the same... so basically for me it came down to convenience of already banking with RBC. Also, what seemed to vary was how much you have access to per year. RBC is flexible - you can set a limit with your advisor if you want, and if something comes up during the year where you need access to more, it can be changed. Or you can just have full access to the whole LOC. I don't really see this being a huge issue for me (as in I'm sure I wouldn't even come close to exceeding the amounts alloted per year from other banks - that's a loooot of money), but it is a nice cushion in case anything unexpected pops up.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't log in yet. Waiting for my PIN to be reactivated b/c I locked myself out trying to view my submitted application a while ago.

It is exciting though! Did it let you see the fees for the year? That's the main reason I wanted to register for courses.

I can't log in yet. Waiting for my PIN to be reactivated b/c I locked myself out trying to view my submitted application a while ago.

It is exciting though! Did it let you see the fees for the year? That's the main reason I wanted to register for courses.

No but I remember being told it was just over 14000 tuition for the whole year.

Also, it doesn't give you any type of schedule yet, but the course names themselves do sound exciting, haha.

I didn't get an e-mail... but I registered yesterday, and was able to print off a confirmation of enrolment (to give to the bank for the LOC).

On the subject of LOC's... I visited the RBC and ScotiaBank near Dal. I'd be happy to provide contact info for either... I ended up going with ScotiaBank, but both were pretty similar offers. ScotiaBank offered free cheques and the interest accrued on the LOC was taken out of the LOC. With RBC, only the first 15 cheques were free, and while you could pick up 3 free blank cheques/mo, if you wanted a book of cheques it was something like $30, and the interest on the LOC was taken out of the chequing account, so you had to transfer money from the LOC to the chequing account to cover the interest on the LOC... seemed weird to me.

On the subject of LOC's... I visited the RBC and ScotiaBank near Dal. I'd be happy to provide contact info for either... I ended up going with ScotiaBank, but both were pretty similar offers. ScotiaBank offered free cheques and the interest accrued on the LOC was taken out of the LOC. With RBC, only the first 15 cheques were free, and while you could pick up 3 free blank cheques/mo, if you wanted a book of cheques it was something like $30, and the interest on the LOC was taken out of the chequing account, so you had to transfer money from the LOC to the chequing account to cover the interest on the LOC... seemed weird to me.

This is solid info. Thanks!

just over 14000 tuition for the whole year.

This seems a lot cheaper than other schools. Anyone know a resource to compare to other school tuitions? I ended up getting a small scholarship, so this makes Dal A LOT more realistic for me in terms of $$$.

Also, maybe a dumb question, but can you claim EI as a student?

I don't think you can claim EI. I'm looking into OSAP right now. It's a shame that it doesn't seem like I am eligible for NS student loans, because they sound like a better deal than OSAP.

I ended up getting with RBC, for what it's worth. I got a free cheque book, so it might just be a matter of haggling. And it is an added hassle to transfer money to pay interest, sure, but, in my opinion, it's just one click of the mouse, and that counscious act might make me better at budgeting.

**Not at all arguing, by the way, just playing devil's advocate!

from speaking to people who completed medical school, i find that the actual price of tuition is SO not important in the long run - especially for those taking a LOC.

I mean, it's a bonus to pay less I suppose, but I think it's silly not to go to a certain program because of cost.

just my two cents.

Check this link out, it helped me a lot last year deciding where (and where not) to apply.

The website is incorrect with respect to Dal's tuition - it was just over 14,000 this year, and will be increasing next year (probably around 14,500 if I had to guess).

I don't know if I would base my decision on tuition costs... there are probably about 100 other things I would base my decision upon first.

The website is incorrect with respect to Dal's tuition - it was just over 14,000 this year, and will be increasing next year (probably around 14,500 if I had to guess).

I don't know if I would base my decision on tuition costs... there are probably about 100 other things I would base my decision upon first.

Yeah, but that's per semester, and includes supplies, which brings it up to $16,500 - that sounds about right.

Archived