Premed 101 Forums

Dal Med Class of 2015

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Whats the word on Medix? I assume we don't use our net ID's cause mine doesnt work.

Medix accounts do use your NetID, but they have to be set up by the tech guys. I'm not sure when they're planning on doing this for 2015 (my email from last year is dated June 17), but Steve Morley will let you guys know when this is available.

Anyway, the only fun thing on Medix is creeping the class pics, and those have been included in the DPG ... :)

I'm not attending Dal next year but thanks for the heads up on the Don't Panic Guide. I have a question for you, Lemonade9, any chance you know if the updated admissions presentation has been posted? It says it would be May 2nd but I can't seem to find it. Has any one else seen it?

One more question, the videos advertised on the side of the page ("The Student Experience") don't seem to work for me (on neither Chrome nor Firefox), do they work for anyone else?

Edit: videos work now!

The DPG just made me P about SL's!! My new LOC isnt I.F.... haha

I don't think I was eligible for student loans in undergrad because of my parents income.. would it be different now?

Yup! Once you're four years out of high school, you're considered an independent and your parents income no longer factors into the student loan application. (At least in NS, and I assume in other provinces as well)

• 1 month later...
Brutal ain't it?

Wonder how much $$ we're talking about here per year for the Saudi students.

Money is the name of the game ladies and gentlemen. And that sucks.

Hmmmm...I really dont understand why this was such an uproar. A school is a business like any other, and when funding is low they need to look for alternate sources. How much they had to pay is irrelevant, especially considering the tuition costs we'll be paying. It's likely partially government funded...maybe similar to our programs in canada that pay for education.... with a catch that you need to work for ten years in a rural community.

PLUS! Why would the amount of money they pay suck? More money for dal med = better education and equipment. Business is business, and they're just doing their best to stay afloat... and on the cutting edge in a highly competitive educational field.

I personally am very excited to meet these new students, learn about their culture and share a table with them in the Dal med lounge.

so i'm starting to look into apartments/condos etc, and i just had a few questions.

where do upper years suggest living? location-wise and/or specific buildings/rooms?

relating to that, where do the med students have most of our classes? mostly in the medical building/hospital area or are there some on the other side of robie? on which side would it be better to live?

what suggestions do others have about sharing vs. having your own place? does it cost too much in the long run to have your own 1-bedroom?

fyi, i've been looking at a few places, i saw a couple nice places on spring garden, sackville, barrington, south park, etc.

thanks guys! i'm getting really excited

Hey! There are some nice places posted on the Dal Med 2015 facebook page...did you check out any of those?

• 1 month later...

If you log in to your mydal account, it looks like our lecture schedule and everything for the year is pretty well up. Looks awesome, and I can't wait to get started.

edit: actually, the schedule at this point only includes foundations and host defence, but that takes us until the holiday break!

If you log in to your mydal account, it looks like our lecture schedule and everything for the year is pretty well up. Looks awesome, and I can't wait to get started.

edit: actually, the schedule at this point only includes foundations and host defence, but that takes us until the holiday break!

@gb35- i'm not seeing that schedule at all, where exactly is it?

thanks!

@gb35- i'm not seeing that schedule at all, where exactly is it?

thanks!

If you go to ilo.owl.dal.ca, and log in with your net ID, then go to undergraduate medical education (or something like that), click on med 1. Then, for the first two units (foundations/host defence), you can see the lecture titles for each day, and some of the tutorial topics, etc. It doesn't tell us what time of day or any of that, and I'm assuming we're going to have to wait for One45 access to get that.

Archived