Premed 101 Forums

Hematology in Canada

medenv

Hello everyone

I really cannot find any information about Hematology on this site. Can anyone out there shed some light on the field?

1) Does it have any procedures?

2) Is there a lot of lab work or is it all patient work?

3) Type of work: what are the bread and butter cases?

4) Lifestyle: hours/week, call?, pressure

5) Compensation: range of expected salary in big cities and community, more than GIM?, overhead.

6) Competitiveness

7) Job opportunities (also can they work in rural areas?)

I see it is more popular than Med Oncology (looking at number of applicants), any reason for that?

Many thanks.

i'm not qualified to answer your questions... but here are some links to what hematology is about...

http://sites.google.com/site/queenshematologyprogram/

http://faculty.ksu.edu.sa/abbasalsaeed/Pages/Whatdoesahematologistdo.aspx

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hematology

perhaps this will get the ball rolling.

from personal experience, my fiancee's hematologist has never once had to do a serious clinical procedure with her... it seems like they are more scientists than clinical practitioners (this is based only on our interactions regarding my fiancee's specific treatment). she does have clinic days where she sees patients, does physical exams, discusses test results and adjusts treatment plans... and she is on the bone marrow and transplant team so she is involved in transplants, but to what capacity i'm not sure... from everything i've read it seems to be more of a hands off field... again, i have no real solid information other than what i've read and gleaned from interactions with my fiancee's hematologist.

i also don't think they bill... i could not find my fiancee's hematologist listed on the msp billings for any of the last few years so they may be contracted by the hospitals they work for.

good luck in your quest for information.

have you ever thought of emailing a program at a school to see if they can provide you with the information... just to see if they will actually respond?

Hello everyone

I really cannot find any information about Hematology on this site. Can anyone out there shed some light on the field?

1) Does it have any procedures?

2) Is there a lot of lab work or is it all patient work?

3) Type of work: what are the bread and butter cases?

4) Lifestyle: hours/week, call?, pressure

5) Compensation: range of expected salary in big cities and community, more than GIM?, overhead.

6) Competitiveness

7) Job opportunities (also can they work in rural areas?)

I see it is more popular than Med Oncology (looking at number of applicants), any reason for that?

Many thanks.

1 - bone marrow biopsies and reviewing blood films are pretty much it

2 - a mix of both

3 - anemia, venous thromboembolism, and leukemia/lymphoma are the major clinical entities

4 - lifestyle is generally excellent, call is benign

5 - compensation is on the lower end of medical subspecialties, except for those who do large thrombosis clinics

6 - moderately competitive, but fluctuates significantly from year to year

7 - few jobs in rural areas, in fact, few in community hospitals in general. Often some clinical overlap with the oncologists. Most jobs are in academic centres, quite specialized, and research often a significant component.

1 - bone marrow biopsies and reviewing blood films are pretty much it

2 - a mix of both

3 - anemia, venous thromboembolism, and leukemia/lymphoma are the major clinical entities

4 - lifestyle is generally excellent, call is benign

5 - compensation is on the lower end of medical subspecialties, except for those who do large thrombosis clinics

6 - moderately competitive, but fluctuates significantly from year to year

7 - few jobs in rural areas, in fact, few in community hospitals in general. Often some clinical overlap with the oncologists. Most jobs are in academic centres, quite specialized, and research often a significant component.

it's funny, because the bone marrow biopsy my fiancee got was not done by her hematologist... the hematologist reviewed the results of the tests that were run, but was not a part of the actual procedure. perhaps she's the exception not the norm.

p.s. a bone marrow biopsy sucks big time.

• 4 months later...
How does the compensation compare with GIM? Is it uncommon to do Heme/Onc like in the US? There are very few pure hematologists in the US.

I don't know about the rest of Canada but in Quebec most oncologists did hematology and then a fellowship in oncology. Therefore hemato-oncologists have patients with hematologic cancers but also all the other cancers and they are responsible for the chemo treatments.

It's ususally 9-5 schedule (but very busy) and the onco-hematologist I talked to said that regarding the calls, they split it within the group, which is made up of 12 hematologists in her hospital.

Archived