Premed 101 Forums

Clinical volunteering?

Guest candyapple

Guest candyapple

Hey guys!

New member here! I am a little confused about clinical vs. non-clinical volunteering. I volunteered at my local hospital in high school and was planning on volunteering at a hospital in my second year but I keep hearing that clinical volunteering is more important? Is this true? And by clinical volunteering, do people mean like shadowing doctors and stuff because I don't really know how to go about even getting a clinical volunteering position :/ Sorry if this was too long but any information would be greatly appreciated!

I would think volunteering in a hospital would count as clinical.

I volunteered both with outpatient/information desk stuff and on an inpatient unit. I learned more about medicine on the unit, but my work with outpatients actually ended up being more rewarding.

Volunteering in a hospital is considered clinical volunteering. And you don't really have to do clinical volunteering... people have got into medschool without it. What is important is getting some exposure to the medical field and clinical volunteering would be one of the ways to get that exposure.

Guest candyapple
Volunteering in a hospital is considered clinical volunteering. And you don't really have to do clinical volunteering... people have got into medschool without it. What is important is getting some exposure to the medical field and clinical volunteering would be one of the ways to get that exposure.

Alright, that makes sense. Just one other question, can you put down the volunteering you did in high school on your med school app because I was involved for a few years and truly did enjoy my experience there so it would kinda suck if med schools only consider university volunteering.

Alright, that makes sense. Just one other question, can you put down the volunteering you did in high school on your med school app because I was involved for a few years and truly did enjoy my experience there so it would kinda suck if med schools only consider university volunteering.
As a general idea (since each school is different) admissions look at things you've done since the age of 16.

Guest candyapple
As a general idea (since each school is different) admissions look at things you've done since the age of 16.

Okay, that's better then. Thanks to everyone for answering, and so quickly too haha!

Archived