Premed 101 Forums

McMaster Internal Medicine Residency

ddocs

Hi does anyone have any tips or experience regarding choosing hospital sites at McMaster to do PGY1 CTU and selectives from an internal medicine PGY1 point of view? Are all hospital sites considered equal? Or some are known to be better than others for particular things? Cheers.

I did my CTU at St Joe's and actually liked it. As a non-internal medicine person, who was really not looking forward to internal CTU, that is saying alot!

St Joe's in very busy. There is effort to have some structured teaching daily. I really liked the staff in general. I haven`t done a rotation at the General, but I believe the General is equally busy from what I hear. I imagine as an internal medicine resident, you will rotate through all sites eventually anyway.

MUMC is generally less busy. I am not sure if there are still rotations there? (with the rearranging of MUMC to a peds hospital, some rotations there are changing).

Thanks for the advice. MUMC is not going to be an internal med CTU site for the new incoming PGY1s. It'll be St.Jos, the General and Juravinski. Any suggestions as to where to live in Hamilton..I'm not too familiar with which areas are good/bad for Hamilton....though I've been told the area around Hamilton General isn't pleasant.

• 2 years later...

hey guys, i'm hoping someone can answer my questions re IM.

1) what is the call schedule like?

2) anyone have any experience with the various campuses in which to do IM residency? i.e. hamilton vs kitchener?

3) what is the lifestyle of a resident?

4)what are the job prospects after a residency? i hear that many have to do a masters degree to get a job in the end?

many thanks!

hey guys, i'm hoping someone can answer my questions re IM.

1) what is the call schedule like?

2) anyone have any experience with the various campuses in which to do IM residency? i.e. hamilton vs kitchener?

3) what is the lifestyle of a resident?

4)what are the job prospects after a residency? i hear that many have to do a masters degree to get a job in the end?

many thanks!

1) 1:4 for R-1s, night float this year for R-2s; clerks also do 1:4

2) hamilton is great. some sites are busier than others, and some are more specialized in certain things (St. Joes admits psych, General trauma/stroke, etc...)

3) good question. depends on the rotation. most of the R-1s I know at Mac are swamped during CTU.

4) for GIM, prospects are good. subspecialties - all depends. a lot of people do a master's, the new 5 year GIM has a master's built into it from what I understand.

1) 1:4 for R-1s, night float this year for R-2s; clerks also do 1:4

2) hamilton is great. some sites are busier than others, and some are more specialized in certain things (St. Joes admits psych, General trauma/stroke, etc...)

3) good question. depends on the rotation. most of the R-1s I know at Mac are swamped during CTU.

4) for GIM, prospects are good. subspecialties - all depends. a lot of people do a master's, the new 5 year GIM has a master's built into it from what I understand.

awesome, thanks a lot! :)

Thanks for the advice. MUMC is not going to be an internal med CTU site for the new incoming PGY1s. It'll be St.Jos, the General and Juravinski. Any suggestions as to where to live in Hamilton..I'm not too familiar with which areas are good/bad for Hamilton....though I've been told the area around Hamilton General isn't pleasant.

If you have a car, most places can be conveniently reached in 20mins, even less. I would avoid downtown and east hamilton. West hamilton has a few apartment buildings, the downside is you're further away from the hospitals, anything west of Main st W and Longwood is good

Archived