Premed 101 Forums

Elective at UofT

I friend of a friend agreed to take me on as a preclerk in his IM practice at a UHN affiliated hospital in downtown Toronto. I'm pretty sure I can get paperwork cleared at the McMaster end but I wonder if he might get in trouble for taking on a non-UT preclerk?

Any advice is appreciated!!

He wont get into trouble.

You might get trouble if you apply to U of T during Carms, as they do not look favorably upon it (they told me through email it was a "lowball" approach). If Toronto is not high on your residency list, then go for it.

Hm... actually, U of T is high on my list. I was hoping it would help me, but I guess not... Who told you that it was a "lowball approach" and why?

• 5 weeks later...

From my understanding, it's impossible to do an "elective" at U of T without going through the electives office, but anyone can do an observership as long as they get clearance from the hospital and the department.

Considering that you're a preclerk, I assume it will be an observership, in which case you don't need to worry. I'm pretty sure there's no way to do an official elective without going through the official system.

Archived