Premed 101 Forums

NSERC or internship?

icedcapp05

Hi,

I've just received an NSERC USRA in the Faculty of Medicine for this summer (4 months) but I also have the opportunity to do an development or education internship abroad (through AIESEC) for 2-3 months.

Personally, I'd rather travel abroad, work with people, and hopefully get a good reference from my supervisor. However, I'm not sure if I should choose the NSERC or rthe internship b/c the NSERC would give me more research experience and a reference from a professor/doctor. I've already done an independent research project for course credit and can get a reference from my project supervisor. I don't know how strong the letter will be and the NSERC will give me the chance to get an even stronger letter as the position will involve much more lab work.

I plan to apply to U.S. med schools, as well as UofT, Ottawa and McMaster. Not sure if Canadian/U.S. schools value research and internships differently.

I'm just really stumped as to which will help my application more and really need advice! Thanks!

Hi,

I've just received an NSERC USRA in the Faculty of Medicine for this summer (4 months) but I also have the opportunity to do an development or education internship abroad (through AIESEC) for 2-3 months.

Personally, I'd rather travel abroad, work with people, and hopefully get a good reference from my supervisor. However, I'm not sure if I should choose the NSERC or rthe internship b/c the NSERC would give me more research experience and a reference from a professor/doctor. I've already done an independent research project for course credit and can get a reference from my project supervisor. I don't know how strong the letter will be and the NSERC will give me the chance to get an even stronger letter as the position will involve much more lab work.

I plan to apply to U.S. med schools, as well as UofT, Ottawa and McMaster. Not sure if Canadian/U.S. schools value research and internships differently.

I'm just really stumped as to which will help my application more and really need advice! Thanks!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!OH THE HUMANITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As with anything, choose with your heart it everything will work out in the end.

Hi,

Never even bothered applying to NSERC, I'm not saying it doesn't look good for med apps, but too generic. I just ended up sending out 30 CVs to researchers I want to work with, got a couple interviews and I picked a research gig that I liked, plus I took on the project of a master student who had some personal problems so I did a lot more interesting stuff. Oh and I got paid more than NSERC too.

So in the end, do things you like, NSERC is so cookie cutter and unimaginative lol. Not to mention I made more working a minimum wage job than what NSERC would have given me...

Never even bothered applying to NSERC, I'm not saying it doesn't look good for med apps, but too generic. I just ended up sending out 30 CVs to researchers I want to work with, got a couple interviews and I picked a research gig that I liked, plus I took on the project of a master student who had some personal problems so I did a lot more interesting stuff. Oh and I got paid more than NSERC too.

So in the end, do things you like, NSERC is so cookie cutter and unimaginative lol. Not to mention I made more working a minimum wage job than what NSERC would have given me...

Very true - I found that working with Masters students and other projects gave me a lot more opportunity and flexibility to explore very interesting fields. NSERC is great because it is a funding opportunity, but don't be afraid to following what you enjoy. It will be much more rewarding!

Guest copacetic

if you have already been productive doing research (abstract, paper etc) and can get the letter or reference, then do the thing abroad.

Archived