Premed 101 Forums

Dr. Walker is the tops!

I was just reading a post on the U of C admissions blog that blew me away:

http://mdadmissions.ucalgaryblogs.ca/

I must say that I really appreciate Dr. Walker's candor and honesty. This obviously must have been a difficult thing to talk about, but the way he said it was very genuine. It is so refreshing to see someone acknowledge something like this without trying to minimize or sweep it under the rug. I hope that one day I will possess the kind of professionalism that he has displayed. MAAAAD props goes out to this man.

In my opinion, as long as U of C has people like Dr. Walker, I am confident that it is in good hands.

Dr. Walker for Prime Minister!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good of him to talk about carms. I'm surprised he doesn't know why so many went unmatched. One 2011 graduate from u of c blamed it on the Malaysian students. Was hoping he'd confirm or deny that.

Doubt it. IMG's can only match in the 2nd iteration for U Alberta only. It varies from province to province but most of the time IMGs are in their own separate category. Match rates for IMGs are pretty low and if you look at the results:

http://carms.ca/pdfs/2010R1_MatchResults/Discipline%20Choice%20and%20Match%20Results%20of%20IMG%20Grads%20by%20Gender1_en.pdf

you'll see that it is a very low number across the board with the vast majority of IMGs going into FM.

At MUN we have 4 med school spots for Malaysian exchange students. In terms of CaRMS, they are not considered IMG's if they apply to residency programs here at MUN, but they are considered IMG's if they apply to other Canadian residency programs. Not sure if sure if Calgary has a similar exception for their own Malaysian exchange students.

Perhaps I'm missing something but does U of C have spots reserved for Malaysian IMGs or something? If so, how many seats?

About the CaRMs match... U of C and Mac do have a bit of a reputation as being less traditional and perhaps less 'serious' than some of the 4 year programs. Whether or not it is true, I think that some people do associate their style of education with producing less qualified physicians. Of course this is a generalization, but I doubt this time is the first people have heard of such a stereotype. So it does make sense to me that when med school spots go up, at a pace that does not match residency spots (as I have heard has happened), the first students to get penalized come from schools without heady reputations who want to go into the more competitive specialties. Whether or not they are excellent. I have heard of some program directors publically declare 3 year candidates to be weaker, on a whole. Doesn't really make sense given they have the same number of hours of education. Maybe also, 3 year candidates just haven't had enough time to find a specialty that fits and build up electives and relationships that further that interest. They also have had less time to learn how to play the game.

I agree, I think Dr. Walker does an absolutely phenomenal job. I really appreciate his candour, as others mentioned. The reality is, every school has its 'warts.' I feel that he is opening to addressing possible downfalls at U of C (including major ones, such as CaRMs matching) and focusing on how to improve them. It is so incredibly refreshing to see that problems are identified rather than swept under the rug. It just makes U of C seem dynamic and responsive rather than old-fashioned and arrogant. The man is incredibly honest and forthcoming. I also probably shouldn't say this but he is a FOX. haha. I expect that the longer Dr. Walker is director of admissions, the more Calgary will attract excellent candidates.

+++1. Dr. Walker is definitely a guy that you want on the face of your medical school. Dynamic and approachable for sure.

I think Calgary is disadvantaged when it comes to electives, which is simply inherent to a condensed program. Looking at number of weeks, they are about equal with other 4 year programs (~16 weeks) but it their timing that might sink the boat. In a 4 year program, I have 5 weeks of electives in 3rd year and 12-16 weeks of electives in 4th year. I will have completed several core rotations (although that is dependant on your track) before I go on elective, so I'll be relatively (hopefully) competent by that time. And the majority of my elective time is in 4th year when I've seen all the different core specialties. In 3 year programs, they complete 6 weeks of electives at the start of 2nd year, and 6 weeks of electives before starting 3rd year core rotations. That leaves 4 weeks of electives in which you might be less green and excel as a clerk. And that's not even touching on the idea of clerks changing their mind once they hit a rotation - what if you've never considered internal med but during your August rotation you decide it's what you want to do, then have a few months to change everything in your CaRMs application?

Our deans stressed to not do important electives early in our clerkship career, especially not in the summer between 2nd and 3rd year - Carms stats show that people who load up on the specialty of their choice before they've done proper clinical rotations do worse than those who wait till later. AKA don't do 6 weeks of plastics in TO the summer before 3rd year.

I can't help but wonder if this is part of the reason that 3 year programs sometimes have a higher rate of unmatched students. I am positive that 3 year programs pump out excellent and competent doctors, but perhaps they just don't play the CaRMs game as well as schools who have more time.

About the CaRMs match... U of C and Mac do have a bit of a reputation as being less traditional and perhaps less 'serious' than some of the 4 year programs. Whether or not it is true, I think that some people do associate their style of education with producing less qualified physicians. Of course this is a generalization, but I doubt this time is the first people have heard of such a stereotype. So it does make sense to me that when med school spots go up, at a pace that does not match residency spots (as I have heard has happened), the first students to get penalized come from schools without heady reputations who want to go into the more competitive specialties. Whether or not they are excellent. I have heard of some program directors publically declare 3 year candidates to be weaker, on a whole. Doesn't really make sense given they have the same number of hours of education. Maybe also, 3 year candidates just haven't had enough time to find a specialty that fits and build up electives and relationships that further that interest. They also have had less time to learn how to play the game.

I agree, I think Dr. Walker does an absolutely phenomenal job. I really appreciate his candour, as others mentioned. The reality is, every school has its 'warts.' I feel that he is opening to addressing possible downfalls at U of C (including major ones, such as CaRMs matching) and focusing on how to improve them. It is so incredibly refreshing to see that problems are identified rather than swept under the rug. It just makes U of C seem dynamic and responsive rather than old-fashioned and arrogant. The man is incredibly honest and forthcoming. I also probably shouldn't say this but he is a FOX. haha. I expect that the longer Dr. Walker is director of admissions, the more Calgary will attract excellent candidates.

Except that Mac matched phenomenally last year.

And the year before that.

I didn't look too much further back, but I highly doubt the trend you are suggesting is contagious.

Dr. Walker was born in a log cabin...that he built with his own bare hands.

You are a funny person and I hope we go to med school together. That is all.

Well, that and, Dr. Walker's tears cure cancer. Too bad Dr. Walker never cries.

Archived