Premed 101 Forums

Switching professions to dentistry

Hi,

I have a bachelor in Architectural Sciences and I am serious about changing professions to Dentistry. My GPA for the four years undergrad is:

(Y1) 3.4, (Y2) 3.3, (Y3) 3.4, (Y4) 3.8

I still have to take all my science prerequisite courses and write the DAT and hope to do excellent in both to compensate for my lower GPA’s.

Would a total 3.7 GPA and a good DAT be enough for Canadian Schools (UofT and UWO) or am I supper optimistic?

Would it be more realistic to enroll into a new bachelor?

thank you

have u considered the states? i heard of someone with a 3.3 gpa getting into columbia dental school, but they had something like a 25 AA on their DAT. UWO and UofT dont care about ur DAT as much, it's only 10% to 15% of the application. on the other hand, GPA is worth like 60-65%. i think ur best chance would be to rock ur DAT and apply to the states. u could try applying here but it's quite competitive in terms of GPA. sorry to be a downer lol

Thank you for your quick replies ...

Would starting a new bachelors be a considerable option?

Aside from the high tuition in the States what are other disadvantages for going there?

I would start a new bachelors and apply to schools that take your best 2 years for gpa (UWO) and best 3 years (UofT). Your year 4 is good so get another good year in your new bachelors and apply.

Aside from the high tuition in the States what are other disadvantages for going there?

- u would have to move

- application requires personal statement, ECs and shadowing (u cant rely solely on gpa, dat and interview)

- bigger classes

You guys are supper helpful ... thank you

I would start a new bachelors and apply to schools that take your best 2 years for gpa (UWO) and best 3 years (UofT). Your year 4 is good so get another good year in your new bachelors and apply.

I have been reading lots of the threads and it appears that UWO takes the best two years and the average of the rest ... which equals to 3 years in total. Also for U of T I have read that they only drop the worst year and average the others ... which doesn't help much my situation. Any thoughts on this?

You guys are supper helpful ... thank you

I have been reading lots of the threads and it appears that UWO takes the best two years and the average of the rest ... which equals to 3 years in total. Also for U of T I have read that they only drop the worst year and average the others ... which doesn't help much my situation. Any thoughts on this?

UWO takes the average of your best two years so TWO years in total

Hi,

I have a bachelor in Architectural Sciences and I am serious about changing professions to Dentistry. My GPA for the four years undergrad is:

(Y1) 3.4, (Y2) 3.3, (Y3) 3.4, (Y4) 3.8

I still have to take all my science prerequisite courses and write the DAT and hope to do excellent in both to compensate for my lower GPA’s.

Would a total 3.7 GPA and a good DAT be enough for Canadian Schools (UofT and UWO) or am I supper optimistic?

Would it be more realistic to enroll into a new bachelor?

thank you

i would say go ahead and write your DAT, show them you have what it takes to do well in dentistry! I think other parts of the application (interview, personal statement etc) will also be looked at. 3.7 is pretty good honestly, unless they have a strict cut off at school. good luck!

Archived