Premed 101 Forums

What are you doing 'till May 5th?

Hiya!

I'd love to hear about how others are passing the time (and safeguarding their sanity!)

Here's mine:

-catching up on sleep

-working (35 hrs/week, front line social worker in a community health centre)

-fiction writer's workshop at a local bookstore (writing about my angst helps!)

-good movies

-running program/ trying to improve my time for a 5k race

-reading (at the moment: Medium Raw by Anthony Bourdain)

-fretting

-yoga

:)

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

- Volunteering with a junior high school group (supervising an 11 day field trip that leaves next week, which will really help pass the time!)

- Working when I'm back in town

- Spring cleaning - my condo is super cluttered

- Going to the gym

Pretty much anything that gets my mind off of the countdown!

Pretending to study

Working on thesis/presentation

Running, gym-ing

Working for $$$$

Checking this forum daily (as if it's going to help with anything now that interviews are past lol...)

Planning trip with friend (leaving on May 5th, which could either be a very good or a very bad idea)

Reading for fun

Watching very bad television shows

I've been having "acceptance/rejection" dreams for the past week and a bit :P I'm assuming they're gonna keep haunting me until may 5th.. fail.

Other than that its just exams for me, and then chillaxing to the max until may 5th. After that i'll plan my summer based on what i'm doing nxt year :D

You just brought up a good point obi.

Med School Admissions deadlines really put us fourth years and older in a bind. We can't successfully make future plans until we know our fate.

Presumably, it doesn't take them very long to enter the interview results and get a master rank list going. Theoretically they should be able to notify us about our status early. Granted Ontario schools are releasing them earlier this year, which I appreciate a lot, but maybe they can release the results even earlier. Since some schools have interviews in early April, I think it's possible to release results in mid to late April. The earlier the better I think, because if one doesn't get in, they need to commit to their future plan, whatever it might be.

Reading (I've tore through quite a few good novels lately; I'll echo the sentiments of wanting to catch up on the books I've been meaning to get at). Also I'll be working, playing sports, and doing thesis corrections.

My interviews were at the end of the cycle, so my wait is as short as possible, but I'm already counting down the days. Also, just found out my backup plan came through so I'll be making preparations in case I have to go through with that.

You just brought up a good point obi.

Med School Admissions deadlines really put us fourth years and older in a bind. We can't successfully make future plans until we know our fate.

Presumably, it doesn't take them very long to enter the interview results and get a master rank list going. Theoretically they should be able to notify us about our status early. Granted Ontario schools are releasing them earlier this year, which I appreciate a lot, but maybe they can release the results even earlier. Since some schools have interviews in early April, I think it's possible to release results in mid to late April. The earlier the better I think, because if one doesn't get in, they need to commit to their future plan, whatever it might be.

McGill had a turn around time of about 3 weeks this year between interviews and decisions for in-province applicants. Also, in province applicants submit their application in January, and McGill interviews them in February.

I know they had a smaller pool to work from, but I wish the Ontario schools could be this efficient!

Studying, organizing a piano recital, plus my usual work and volunteer commitments.

What time of day do acceptances come out? Is it you'll wake up to an email, or are they released throughout the day like interview offers? Do all the schools do them at the same time? Is it through OMSAS or emails?

finishing up my Msc: experiments, thesis

preparing a manuscript

running ~30 K a week

travelling within Canada (maybe Latin America in August)...

For those of you who are finishing 4th year of undergrad, DO NOT WORK, GO ABROAD for the whole summer! I did this after my 4th year and it was simply amazing.

For those of you who are finishing 4th year of undergrad, DO NOT WORK, GO ABROAD for the whole summer! I did this after my 4th year and it was simply amazing.

Me too!!! It was incredible!

I'm working for the next 8 weeks (& training my replacement) then quitting my job & backpacking through Africa for the summer. Can't wait!

Maybe this is just me, but I find it kind of ignorant for people to suggest that all graduating 4th years who've applied to med school (and may or may not get in) should travel. Not all of us are financially secure and can afford to go traveling. I'm in debt after undergrad, even though I've worked every summer (and this year, during the year) and need to work in order to pay off my OSAP. I wish I could not work and just relax, but I'm not in a position to finance a trip myself or ask my family to support me leisurely when they've got other things to take care of...

Just my $0.02.

Maybe this is just me, but I find it kind of ignorant for people to suggest that all graduating 4th years who've applied to med school (and may or may not get in) should travel. Not all of us are financially secure and can afford to go traveling. I'm in debt after undergrad, even though I've worked every summer (and this year, during the year) and need to work in order to pay off my OSAP. I wish I could not work and just relax, but I'm not in a position to finance a trip myself or ask my family to support me leisurely when they've got other things to take care of...

Just my $0.02.

Looks like you might want to hold on to those $0.02.

Just my $0.02.

I agree that not everyone can afford to travel but I think that working the summer before med school is wasting the one summer in your life where you don't have to stress about future goals (i.e. by writing the mcat/doing apps/research etc.).

I am also in a lot of OSAP debt that I wouldn't be able to pay off even if I worked for the entire summer. It continues interest-free until you finish med school so you are in no rush to pay it now.

Also, once you get into med school, you do have a huge line of credit that you can use to cover yourself financially. I know it sucks to be in debt, but medical training is long and it is a reality for most people.

So if you look at it in the long run where you may graduate with a large amount of debt anyway, does it really make sense to work your ass off the summer before med school? Would it make that much of a difference? Personally, I don't think so.

I agree that not everyone can afford to travel but I think that working the summer before med school is wasting the one summer in your life where you don't have to stress about future goals (i.e. by writing the mcat/doing apps/research etc.).

I am also in a lot of OSAP debt that I wouldn't be able to pay off even if I worked for the entire summer. It continues interest-free until you finish med school so you are in no rush to pay it now.

Also, once you get into med school, you do have a huge line of credit that you can use to cover yourself financially. I know it sucks to be in debt, but medical training is long and it is a reality for most people.

So if you look at it in the long run where you may graduate with a large amount of debt anyway, does it really make sense to work your ass off the summer before med school? Would it make that much of a difference? Personally, I don't think so.

I totally agree. I mean, assuming you get into medical school (hopefully), 20 years down the road when you're a physician, making a physician’s salary, what decision do you think you would make in retrospect?

It's a no brainer for me. If I get in, the ~10-15k of potential earning over the summer won't really put a dent in 4 years of undergrad and 4+ years of medical school loans and I'd way rather have that time for carefree travel while I'm young and stress-free.

It's all personal preference and not ignorance.

Also, if you work too much, you'll just decrease your OSAP funding anyway. This will take away from your Ontario Student Opportunity Grant (free money). Working is a disservice to yourself.

I'll take this statement back if you can make over $20 000 relatively easily in summer.

I totally agree. I mean, assuming you get into medical school (hopefully), 20 years down the road when you're a physician, making a physician’s salary, what decision do you think you would make in retrospect?

It's a no brainer for me. If I get in, the ~10-15k of potential earning over the summer won't really put a dent in 4 years of undergrad and 4+ years of medical school loans and I'd way rather have that time for carefree travel while I'm young and stress-free.

It's all personal preference and not ignorance.

the only reason I brought it up was because, from my viewpoint, that's all I've been seeing... people basically mandating a stress-free, travel-filled summer. it seemed harsh and kind of rubbed it into the face of those who can't afford it. and I have no idea if I'll get in and will have that line of credit... the opportunity cost of 'banking on getting in and using a LOC to finance travel' vs having a job and for sure making some money even if I do not get into med school is more worthwhile to me. but to each their own - even med students get time off :P

Archived