Premed 101 Forums

Osap and marital status

You have to report your spouse's income, and all assets. OSAP totally screws you if you're married to someone with income of any sort. I can't comment from a personal perspective on not disclosing marriage to OSAP, but I assume they have a way of finding that out (don't you sign something giving them access to your tax information?).

I think it would be very unwise to try to hide the fact that you are married. For one, future physicians are supposed to be ethical. Committing fraud is not only unethical, it is stupid as well. For two, if they decide to look into things at all, they will find out you are married if you indicated that you were on your tax return.

• 1 year later...

what if you are in 2 different provinces? or one is in the US and the other one is in Canada?

I am going to school in the US, but my spouse is staying in Canada until there's a job. So we would have double the rent and expenses, does that mean I won't get OSAP and have double the ex penses if my spouse has income?

You should speak to someone at student finances at your school. Although being an American school, they might not be so familiar with OSAP.

You can't hide that you are married, for reasons already stated.

It's been awhile since I've applied for OSAP, but if I remember, you do put your expenses in there. So it would reflect your double rent etc. Your spouse is expected to contribute to your education if they have income.

But you can't really do anything about your situation at this point. You are married, you can't lie about that. And your spouse has income that will be reported on their income tax file.

So just apply, put in all your expenses and hope for the best. If you don't get OSAP, it isn't the end of the world. It just means you'll be in a bit more debt for your LOC. And hopefully your spouse will get a job in the US soon and your expenses will be less. Then, you'll be in an even better situation than alot of other people who will need to pay all of their expenses on their own for all of med school.

Now if you have a car you will be screwed for sure. So make sure you don't have a car, or that you can transfer it to someone elses name by the deadline date or that your car is worthless! This is true whether you own or lease it. Even the lease is considered an asset by OSAP.

what if you are in 2 different provinces? or one is in the US and the other one is in Canada?

I am going to school in the US, but my spouse is staying in Canada until there's a job. So we would have double the rent and expenses, does that mean I won't get OSAP and have double the ex penses if my spouse has income?

That OSAP and car policy still is the most silly thing I have ever heard of - a debit that is considered an asset? extremely strange

Worst case you can appeal and explain your case as well. Your case is so unusual I think they will consider it even if your initial application doesn't have the outcome you are hoping for.

• 3 weeks later...

I am married and my wife just got her first job out of her MSc making a decent salary (50-60K gross, though on contract) and the OSAP estimator says I will get nothing even if I have no savings (we do have a modest car - used Honda Fit) and go somewhere expensive for med like U of T.

Thank goodness for LOC.

I am married and my wife just got her first job out of her MSc making a decent salary (50-60K gross, though on contract) and the OSAP estimator says I will get nothing even if I have no savings (we do have a modest car - used Honda Fit) and go somewhere expensive for med like U of T.

Thank goodness for LOC.

I hate the way OSAP plays games in such situations - I would still review this with the OSAP counsellor at your school to see if anything can be done.

Archived