Premed 101 Forums

Informal observerships/shadowing as a medical student in Toronto/The Maritimes

Hey all!

So it's nearing summer and I didn't think it would be a big deal setting up observerships either where I'm from (Toronto) or where I intend on travelling this summer (Nova Scotia/New Brunswick/Newfoundland) but it seems as though there is a very formal process from both Memorial and Dal. These programs are more than I'd like to commit to and also seem a lot more rigid than I'd like.

Does anyone have any tips on how to set up informal shadowing for like 1-week spans in either rural settings out east or with doctors in the GTA? I've contacted a few hospitals but haven't heard anything except for formal observerships for IMG's etc.

What do you mean by "informal" observorships? Please see the Dal site regarding visiting electives:

The Faculty of Medicine at Dalhousie University serves all the Maritime Provinces in Canada. If you are an undergraduate medical student seeking a clinical elective in Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, or Prince Edward Island, you must submit your application through Dalhousie University. We do not accept requests for core rotations or observerships.

In other words, you would need to set up a formal elective through Dal; I've done a one-week elective before in the summer so it would be feasible for you to do as well. If you do not apply through Dal or otherwise arrange insurance coverage through your home school, you will NOT be covered, and this is necessary for "observerships" and electives alike.

It is possible that you could arrange something through one of the rural health authorities directly but I would clarify the insurance issue with them.

Sorry I should have been more clear, these would be in a summer pre-clerkship so I'm not looking for elective-electives, just want to experience different medical settings early on...

Can you not just email a doctor that you would be interested in shadowing and go from there? I'm sure if there is a particular protocol he/she will be aware...

Sorry I should have been more clear, these would be in a summer pre-clerkship so I'm not looking for elective-electives, just want to experience different medical settings early on...

I don't know how it works at your school, but Dal has summer electives for pre-clerkship students - not sure whether that route is available to visiting students.

In any case, I do not expect you'll have much luck emailing doctors in a "rural setting". Where exactly do you want to go? And you still need insurance coverage regardless - I know that some people are able to arrange things on the side without too much difficulty due to personal connections, but going in without that would be problematic.

Archived