Premed 101 Forums

Questions on prerequisites for PreMed

Naruto123

Hello, I am an high school student sec 5 who has been accepted in Health Science because I want to become a doctor. I do know that it's extremely difficult and I want to manage in the first strike so here are my questions :

1. What are the other prerequisites the University look at when you apply excluding the CRC, extra curricular activites and volunteer hours?

2. What kind of extra curricular activities and volunteering are good?

Up until now, thanks to my high school, I have done this:

10 hours of Homework tutoring

10 hours of library helping

25 hours of vunlunteering during swine flu of last year

Is that helpful?

Thank you in advance.

Hi and welcome to our forum;)

For the prerequisites, you should only at this section: http://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/applying/categories/cegep-quebec

If you complete the Health Science program, you should be fine.

Don't forget that your R score needs to be competitive.

Successful applicants generally have an R score above 34.0 (average approximately 35.5). Applicants with a R score below 32.0 are rarely considered.

As for the extracurricular activities and volunteering, you have to do things you enjoy. The admissions committee wants to see who YOU are and what you can achieve. You have to show them that you have the potential to become a physician and that you want to. Don't forget that they prefer well-rounded students.

What you did during high school is a good start, but I believe you need more than that. Long term commitment is also important. You still have time, so don't worry;)

You should also take a look at the 3 questions at the bottom of the page: http://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/what-we-look

Hello, I am an high school student sec 5 who has been accepted in Health Science because I want to become a doctor. I do know that it's extremely difficult and I want to manage in the first strike so here are my questions :

It is not extremely difficult. If you put your heart to it and are prepared to work hard, its very doable. Just don't give up and don't put yourself down.

1. What are the other prerequisites the University look at when you apply excluding the CRC, extra curricular activites and volunteer hours?

That you have completed your DEC in health sci in 4 semesters with a full course load per semester. They discourage lightening courseloads by taking summer or intrasession courses (besides why would you? enjoy the summers! Travel, volunteer, work - develop your personality and get to know yourself). Also, make sure you complete the pre-requisites they ask for on their websites... Beware of academic advisors, some of them may give inaccurate information. Your best bet is to be well-read on all the universities Med-P websites.

Anything that you enjoy, that includes interaction with people, exploration of the arts, sports, academic fields of interest... Literally anything - but be devoted to what you do. For McGill, they're really trying to see if you have evidence of preparing yourself to become a good doc or getting to know what practicing medicine is like. Look at your school's clubs - see if your interested in any of them :). If your interested in leadership, get to know a few clubs and perhaps you can run for leadership the next year.

Keep in mind that CRC is very important. Much of the journey has to do with time management and perserverance. Strive to get the highest mark you can by understanding the material better. Don't fall behind and get help when you need it. Also, please don't be mean-competitive and do offer to help others as your likely one of the school's top students.

Is that helpful?

Yes, its a great start. Best of luck, let me know if you have more questions.

Up until now, thanks to my high school, I have done this:

10 hours of Homework tutoring

10 hours of library helping

25 hours of vunlunteering during swine flu of last year

Is that helpful?

Thank you in advance.

Hi Naruto123!

I really don't claim to be an expert in the way McGill analyzes each year's applications. However, I have been invited to the interview this year, so I could tell you my vision on what this university prefers to see in a student.

First, my opinion on volunteering work is the following: don't do it for the HOURS, do it for what it gives you, what you learn from it, etc. I think that doing volunteering work just to add up a huge number of hours is really not the right reason. Chose a place/hospital that you are interested in, an activity that you are curious about, a group of people that you want to help, something that will challenge you, etc. I know a few people that did volunteering work just to have 300 hours in their CV, but still did not even get invited to the interviews. So beware of that. The most important thing is, as someone said before me, to have a BALANCED lifestyle, that is getting VERY good marks, while doing some MEANINGFUL volunteering work, extracurricular activities or sports, etc. As some people mentioned, joining a club in your future school is a great idea. By doing so, you can organize activities, fundraisers, etc. You can also go to any hospital's volunteering department and ask if you could join their team. There are SO many different and interesting things you could do as a volunteer in a hospital... For instance, you can help at the emergency room, you can read to or be with little hospitalized children, you can organize fun activities for the hospitalized people, etc!

Secondly, if you don't have much trouble getting good marks in high school, I don't think you will have a problem getting great marks in college either. Just keep up the good work, study a lot, participate in class, ask questions, don't skip ;), etc. There's not much more to do in order to get great marks, if that's how you used to be in high school. On the other hands, if your marks are not that high right now, you really don't have to freak out. I know many people that got the chance to redeem themselves in Cegep by getting AMAZING marks. You just have to work harder, but if you are determined to study medicine, I think everything is possible :) .

Alright, hope that this helped you! And again, I really don't claim to be an expert... these are just observations that I made during my college years and during my recent applications!

Archived