Premed 101 Forums

Transfer to Concordia?

Very few North American schools really care where your undergraduate degree was from. It's all about the GPA and MCAT, which can clearly be seen from any thread on this forum. "WHAT Are my chances??", the answer invariably comes back as 3.9, 12 12 12.

Why am I at McGill then for undergrad? My friends at Concordia get all A's while I struggle to get a 3.5. I also have a single F. So many schools, such as Manitoba, don't care a single bit about where you went to school, the score is determined solely by GPA. SO why am I here??

Better question: would anyone advise me to go to Concordia and pull off A's??? Also be in a friendlier environment lacking cut-throat students free of any manners.

People will say 'for the challenge', but really, I think being guaranteed a high GPA would help me more in the long run...

Why do people go into "prestigious" programs or universities from high school? Simply put, when I was in HS I was definitely NOT informed about the programs and based my decision on whatever was the hardest to get into because...well, let's face it, you think you're going to be elite and easier to get into whatever you want to get into later (law, business, meds, etc). I'm in ONT btw. Chances here are in the 20% assuming you meet cutoffs. We have divisions from each of the schools (SWOMEN for western, rural context for NOSM) that set barriers to applicants as well. In Manitoba or Alberta, higher chances for IP. Consider moving.

I think in Canada, it pays to be informed about the process, simply put at a very young age. That way you know the game, the rules, and the loopholes. Is Concordia an easier university compared to McGill? Probably for some departments. Will a hard-working student succeed at the same level at any university they go? I would argue not, because environment factors and testing systems at various universities differ. It's best to know yourself, know your limitations. Thus it is STRATEGIC to choose where you want to go.

Right now for you and I it's a bit late in the game to switch. I would recommend that you switch if you think that GPA is an issue - call Concordia's office and see if some credits can be transferred for a new degree, and carry over that work-ethic for that stellar GPA. It's a bit of a bail, but it's better than not being eligible for many schools. Unfortunately it's the nature of the game and I hope admissions changes in the future, but sadly enough a 3.5 will not cut it unless you have some sort of special status.

Why then, attend "prestigious" programs or universities? The skills that you gain from being challenged in this sort of environment really helps you to grow, I think. Some of that prestige does carry over when talking to prospective employers and there are many unique opportunities for career paths, if you're not set on meds (ex. Waterloo Co-op is fantastic...I envy the amount of money and perks my friends have). Look at U of T...relatively a "tough" university to many but in the heart of one of the best research areas in Canada. I can tell you officially that I hate my program's bloody guts with a deep, burning passion. But it has taught me a lot about myself and I definitely grew from the experience and bad examples of others. Getting in is a game...just how you die in some levels, you've got an opportunity to respawn from your last save point, fortunately.

If I had to choose again? High school - whichever paid me the most scholarship money. Go to a smaller university (but make sure there's a hospital close by). Choose a less traditional background such as communications or music, yet minor in a science. Know the game.

Why do people go into "prestigious" programs or universities from high school? Simply put, when I was in HS I was definitely NOT informed about the programs and based my decision on whatever was the hardest to get into because...well, let's face it, you think you're going to be elite and easier to get into whatever you want to get into later (law, business, meds, etc). I'm in ONT btw. Chances here are in the 20% assuming you meet cutoffs. We have divisions from each of the schools (SWOMEN for western, rural context for NOSM) that set barriers to applicants as well. In Manitoba or Alberta, higher chances for IP. Consider moving.

I think in Canada, it pays to be informed about the process, simply put at a very young age. That way you know the game, the rules, and the loopholes. Is Concordia an easier university compared to McGill? Probably for some departments. Will a hard-working student succeed at the same level at any university they go? I would argue not, because environment factors and testing systems at various universities differ. It's best to know yourself, know your limitations. Thus it is STRATEGIC to choose where you want to go.

Right now for you and I it's a bit late in the game to switch. I would recommend that you switch if you think that GPA is an issue - call Concordia's office and see if some credits can be transferred for a new degree, and carry over that work-ethic for that stellar GPA. It's a bit of a bail, but it's better than not being eligible for many schools. Unfortunately it's the nature of the game and I hope admissions changes in the future, but sadly enough a 3.5 will not cut it unless you have some sort of special status.

Why then, attend "prestigious" programs or universities? The skills that you gain from being challenged in this sort of environment really helps you to grow, I think. Some of that prestige does carry over when talking to prospective employers and there are many unique opportunities for career paths, if you're not set on meds (ex. Waterloo Co-op is fantastic...I envy the amount of money and perks my friends have). Look at U of T...relatively a "tough" university to many but in the heart of one of the best research areas in Canada. I can tell you officially that I hate my program's bloody guts with a deep, burning passion. But it has taught me a lot about myself and I definitely grew from the experience and bad examples of others. Getting in is a game...just how you die in some levels, you've got an opportunity to respawn from your last save point, fortunately.

If I had to choose again? High school - whichever paid me the most scholarship money. Go to a smaller university (but make sure there's a hospital close by). Choose a less traditional background such as communications or music, yet minor in a science. Know the game.

Great Post! Thanks! Well I've actually only finished my first year so it's not the end of the world....but that one F will kill me. I am from Manitoba btw, where they also drop your lowest 30 credits. I would also get special status for being rural. However, while I'd have a good chance of getting into U of M, I want other options too. For example: pharmacy, dentistry, other med schools...Besides U of M med school, which is still not guaranteed, the only other option would be SGU in Grenada which is supposed to be good but it's not the most ideal option, as much as I'd love to be in resort climate on the beach in a completely different culture..

You are right that this environment has a huge impact on one's life. One year has transformed me drastically. I was NOT informed either. I thought the higher cutoff would be a good thing. I didn't know many med school committees give eff all about where you are from.

So I have all summer to make up my mind. :) I have no idea why I didn't read this board in high school. I let the McLeans rankings influence me..:mad: Everyone tells me a 4.0 at Concordia is better than a 3.4~ at McGill. I can easily pull off a 4.0 at Concordia, I've seen their exams. At McGill, they're required to fail x people in many classes. You pretty much have to take bird courses if you expect to have time for EC's which are also a requirement.

Happens everywhere unfortunately, professors and TAs love gaussian distributions. However, the difficulty of the science courses (physics, chem, orgo) will probably help you a lot for MCAT. Here are some other things you should consider:

1) Medicine, pharmacy, dentistry - I don't know anything about the other two, but there are other forums here you should respectively post. some of the predents here are very nice and pre-pharms as well. Their game is different...need to know the rules and how you can effectively compete for them in four short years.

2) If you know you can get better grades, I would bail to Concordia. I didn't because my second year was actually a lot worse than my first, but my third right now is stellar so I can't really stop. High GPA is essential to most professional schools...MCAT/DAT/PAT you can always retake again and again. GPA is written to the tomb.

3) Stupid McLeans. I nearly went to McGill. Meh. Pick the bottom of the list and go there, is what I tell my brother...why does McGill come out on top every year? However, that isn't to say that people CANNOT succeed, and that is not my message. There are people who work very hard/extremely bright for that 4.0 at McGill and U of T, and I envy/fear/admire them. If you're one of those people, give yourself a pat on the back and keep kicking ass. But if you're having difficulty you should CONSIDER other options instead of limiting yourself. Be smart, not proud. At the end of the day, Charlie gets to go because he has a golden ticket.

Bottom line: know what you want to do early...you'll need to invest time into it, whether it be law/meds/pharm/dent/opto. Know the game, and never be too scared to bail ship if you know you can do better. Esp you have IP status in Manitoba and Rural, you're not out of the game...in fact you've gotten some major boosters people like me would kill to have.

Why thanks!!

I'm drastically leaning towards Concordia. It's been ONE year here.

Yup when you really think about it what does a McLeans ranking mean??...like you said, it's not where Charlie found his ticket it's whether or not he has it. A 3.4 is not a ticket. I could still get into Manitoba with their dropped credit system (though not guaranteed)...but why would I leave that and SGU as my only options?? I could also do many many EC's at Concordia. There would be less competition for things such as exec positions, internships, and most of all, more free time. I've been there now and then and everyone seems so much more friendly and relaxed (in a good way, they can actually LEARN their stuff as opposed to only caring about their grades).

Don't get me wrong, the people at McGill are bloody interesting. With the exception of some spoilt Americans (who are usually interesting for being super left wing and what not), generic GTA preps, and the many who stay in their rooms studying and never socializing, it'd be extremely hard to have found better people here. I won't lose them either going to Concordia. I'd still be living with my McGill friends. WIN.

Thanks for the advice!!

Hey,

I would say if Manitoba is your top choice, then do the major and minor you mentioned.

But I think if you wanted schools like McGill or Calgary (which have a subjective component when they look at gpa) then maybe you should do a double major - music and some science major. I would assume that the double major would be looked at more positively when they look at an app subjectively.

Thanks!

So a 4.0 from Concordia does the trick with admissions? (assuming high MCAT and good EC's). Or at the very least, it's superior to a 3.4 from McGill? I've asked this question before on another thread but would like broader opinions. I'm in the process of deciding as of this week

Thanks once again.

Hi,

I did my undergrad at Concordia and I'm in first year of med at SGU right now. Things aren't always as clearcut as you may think. Whatever you decide, you will have to work your butt off.

Concordia does have a much better environment in my opinion and your classmates will be nicer and have better personalities than some other cutthroat schools. I graduated from Concordia with a 3.4 GPA. There are tons of extracurriculars at Concordia and I literally did it ALL and had a blast. But environment does play a big role in your academic success. At Concordia, I found that a lot of students were focused on non-academic stuff, it's a great school to become well-rounded in but I think I personally would have had an easier time excelling at my classes if I was in a more challenging and academically driven environment, with more friends who were FOCUSED on school as the #1 priority. That wasn't always the case at Concordia. So again, it has a lot to do with your personal drive, motivation and focus. If you go to Concordia, make sure you have all of those otherwise you'll find that you might relax and start enjoying life instead of spending most of your time at the library to get that 4.0, or 4.3 at Concordia. I have had many friends who got into McGill med from Concordia and I can tell you that the amount of work that you put in is the same, you just wont have as much competition because the talent pool seems to be less concentrated at Concordia.

Another thing is that because of the smaller class sizes, most of your exams will be short-answer instead of multiple choice. Some will like this and some will hate it, it makes things much more subjective and can work for you or against you depending on the course/professors/grading scheme. Not as standardized as McGill's.

In short, I always regretted not having gone to McGill because I thought McGill's environment, the people and professors would drive me to succeed more than I did at Concordia. So the grass is always greener.

I did have the time of my life at Concordia and achieved many great things on every level, but I didn't get into medschool. GPA is king. Good luck.

It depends on the department you're applying in. The business department at Concordia, JMSB, is a more challenging and academically driven environment and they definitely encourage you to excel. I took a science course last semester and I know what Gavanshir is talking about. It's relaxed atmosphere compared to my business classes. Everyone's trying to screw you over in business.. I liked that relaxed atmosphere though.

As a Concordia graduate, I agree with both sirop and Gavanshir. Concordia's environment is more relax, but you might be less motivated to study and will have less support. Group work is harder at Concordia as not everyone will collaborate, and you might end up doing other people's work which consumes your time. The campus is sort of far from the city, so I found that getting places for your EC is a major inconvenience. Also, if you want to do research, the selection is less than that at McGill. There is no structured medical committee. If a medschool requires you to present a letter from your medical committee, you will not be able to submit that document. Also, read the professor's review because it is not standard and their techniques vary. I had a professor whose highest grade would be a B as she does not believe in the perfection of the "A". Also, note that Concordia has a GPA of 4.3 which means that you get scaled down when converted to other universities.

On the other side, there is less competition. If you do well in the class, you are guarantee an A. You have a lot more free time which means you can relax, have a life and still get into Med after. Because there is fewer competition, you can get to know your professors and get their recommendation letters.

Consider the pros and cons as this affect you next 3 years. Good luck!

Wow, I didn't know so many of you guys went to Concordia, seeing you guys in med right now gives me hope:) .

I am in my final year in cegep and I didn't get into premed:( so I was debating between anatomy at mcgill and mech eng in Concordia, finally I decided to go to concordia, I know engineering is hard but I am prepared to work hard for that good gpa. Gavanshir, you mentioned that you did all the ECs at Concordia, can you give me a heads up on what they are so I can look for them next year?

Thanks

Wow, I didn't know so many of you guys went to Concordia, seeing you guys in med right now gives me hope:) .

I am in my final year in cegep and I didn't get into premed:( so I was debating between anatomy at mcgill and mech eng in Concordia, finally I decided to go to concordia, I know engineering is hard but I am prepared to work hard for that good gpa. Gavanshir, you mentioned that you did all the ECs at Concordia, can you give me a heads up on what they are so I can look for them next year?

Thanks

Uhhh if you are going into engineering, DO NOT DO ANY ECs! I don't want to discourage you but I've seen too many engineering students attempt to do ECs at Concordia and it doesn't go too well. Maybe it's just my personal experience but I have yet to meet anyone who successfully went from engineering to med while I know Concordia students who have gone from biochem, JMSB, psychology, biology, geography and exercise science into med. This is just anecdotal.

In terms of ECs, I feel that there are fewer opportunities for meaningful involvement by engineering students. The student council has 1 or 2 faculty seats for engineering, compared to around 15 for Arts & Sciences. Engineers Without Borders is more or less active and they do some interesting stuff. Again I would say don't emphasize on ECs if you are planning on going into engineering, and I would also tell you to reconsider your choice of Anatomy at McGill vs Engineering at Concordia if you are 100% set on med. If you see yourself continuing a career in mechanical engineering then by all means go for it since you are still young and your mind will likely change during undergrad.

I'll also add that I think medical engineering is one of the most exciting areas in medicine and has a lot of potential now and in the future. So if you do well and continue on to merge these two fields either in medschool or gradschool, you'll be golden. So it all depends on what you see yourself doing in the future.

Hey,

Thanks for the fast reply! I feel a bit scared now, but you said you don't know anyone from engineering that got into med is it maybe because no one applied?

I was actually going to go to anatomy but I got a scholarship at concordia and I got to meet a professor at Concordia, he is a mechanical engineer and he applies it to medicine (as you said), he diagnoses cardiac diseases using engineering and he convinced me that engineering is a solid path o take. As he put it the ideal person in society is someone that has a phd in end and an MD, (of course I don't plan on going as far as a phd in eng:p )

On top of it, I am also in coop (I know it just makes things harder) but I figured it will give me a variety of experiences and I figured they count as ECs (right?). Going to engineering wasn't a decision I made over night, I spoke with a lot of advisors and they thought med via engineering is a good idea.

I completely understand what you are trying to say but I am prepare to work hard, I know its hard to get a good gpa but maybe not impossible...

Hey doc5, I am an engineer from Concordia, and I go to medschool. I have many other friends who are also engineering from Concordia and are also in medschool. Some of us did Co-op, others did not. We all maintained a competitive GPA while having all the extracurriculars and taking the prerequisites. As a Co-op student it was a little bit trickier because volunteering while working fulltime was quite a commitment, but it is possible. My friends and I did it, so can you. If something really fascinates you, go for it and you will truly excel. It is the motivations that keeps you going! PM me if you want. Good luck!

Hey,

Thanks for the fast reply! I feel a bit scared now, but you said you don't know anyone from engineering that got into med is it maybe because no one applied?

I was actually going to go to anatomy but I got a scholarship at concordia and I got to meet a professor at Concordia, he is a mechanical engineer and he applies it to medicine (as you said), he diagnoses cardiac diseases using engineering and he convinced me that engineering is a solid path o take. As he put it the ideal person in society is someone that has a phd in end and an MD, (of course I don't plan on going as far as a phd in eng:p )

On top of it, I am also in coop (I know it just makes things harder) but I figured it will give me a variety of experiences and I figured they count as ECs (right?). Going to engineering wasn't a decision I made over night, I spoke with a lot of advisors and they thought med via engineering is a good idea.

I completely understand what you are trying to say but I am prepare to work hard, I know its hard to get a good gpa but maybe not impossible...

Hey,

I think it's more likely that I didn't meet them or didn't know of them. I did meet one girl who was applying from engineering. She had a 3.4 GPA and I met her a week before she was taking her MCAT for the first time, I don't know what happened to her.

It seems you are leaning towards engineering. That's fine, I would recommend that you place your GPA above ALL and completely forget about Concordia's ECs AKA distractions. However, do work/volunteer at your professor's lab part-time and definitely during the summers. Also make sure you volunteer at a hospital. The next four years will be very tough but if you stick to it it will prepare you for a life-long learning experience.

I actually remember reading an article about the cardiac lab that you are talking about. I don't know how co-op will affect your performance and chances. I think it may be setting yourself up for a transition into the field to work as a mechanical engineer although I can tell you that I know of 1 biochem co-cop student who got into McGill med last year (but biochem co-cop is definitely different than an engineering co-cop). Since you are confident that you'll do well, then go for it.

Keep one thing in mind, if after your first term things are going in the wrong direction in terms of GPA, don't wait till it get's worst, be realistic and change your program right away.

Thanks for the great anecdotes/advice!

Personally, the relaxed environment will help me IMO. And I'm living with McGill friends who are incredibly driven which will help too. The large class sizes at McGill were awful. LOR's are clearly crucial, and hard to obtain with the larger and cutthroat class at McGill. I'm already pretty deadset on Concordia. It might just mean I have to be there an extra year/ a summer term or two but that's not the end of the world. As you've all said, GPA is king. However, EC's obviously do matter too and I believe I'll have time at Concordia for this.

What would some of you recommend be the best major at Concordia? Honours Biochem? Honours Chem? etc...And the 4.3 scale is much better btw. McGill doesn't give out A+'s whereas most school's do, and usually convert by letter grade as opposed to number. I also thrive at non-multiple choice. :P

Thanks again!

What would some of you recommend be the best major at Concordia? Honours Biochem? Honours Chem? etc...And the 4.3 scale is much better btw. McGill doesn't give out A+'s whereas most school's do, and usually convert by letter grade as opposed to number. I also thrive at non-multiple choice. :P

To answer that, you have to know yourself. I strongly recommend doing something you're really really interested in. I hate to be vague but you'll have more of a chance of doing well for something you really like. I'm living proof of that. If you love chemistry and can picture yourself breathing it for the next couple of years, do it.

What would some of you recommend be the best major at Concordia? Honours Biochem? Honours Chem? etc...And the 4.3 scale is much better btw. McGill doesn't give out A+'s whereas most school's do, and usually convert by letter grade as opposed to number. I also thrive at non-multiple choice.

I did my grad degree at McGill in one of of the social sciences, then did most of my MCAT prereqs at Concordia, plus a few at McGill. To do my prereqs at Concordia I enrolled in the Biochemistry programme. Because I had to put off applying to med school for a year for various reasons, I got quite far along in the Biochemistry programme and was half-way through a Math minor before I was accepted to medical school in Ontario.

The Biochemistry programme at Loyola was great, really fantastic. There was not much to choose from in terms of difficulty between McGill and Concordia, I found. As far as grades are concerned, the 200-level courses in Biology and Chemistry at Loyola are not much of a problem, although it depends to some extent on the teacher. Rate-my-professor usually gives solid advice, though. The difficulty level goes up abruptly at the 300-level in Chem (not Bio) -- or at least I found -- this is where you get the classes for which the top mark is A minus. Then the difficulty level smooths out for the 400-level classes, particularly for the ones that double as graduate classes. The 200-level Math classes I took were all very straightforward, with one exception. All were standardized, with old exams available at the copy centre.

One thing about Concordia that I appreciated was that the teachers, without exception, always make time for the students. Everyone has set office hours. Because the classes tend to be small, it's easy to strike up a good relationship with your professor. Some of the professors in Biochemistry are really interested in mentoring good undergraduate students on research projects, so presentations and publications are also certainly possible. And the student atmosphere is definitely much better at Concordia.

As for GPA -- it's increasingly less important at McMaster, and you only needed two years at 3.70 to make the UWO cut-offs this year. Neither school appears to care where you did your undergrad.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Archived