Premed 101 Forums

Summer research VOLUNTEER

Hey guys,

I'm a humble undergrad and I'm working with a prof specializing in cancer research this summer. He's got 4 PhD/Master students working for him and I can't help but feel a little intimidated. I've taken molecular/microbiology and genetics but haven't really worked with the things that I've been learning. From what I gather, I'd be helping out his PhDs and maybe like run gels or PCR or something...? I keep thinking that I'm gonna mess something up and I'll just be a nuisance around them :(

I'd really like some advice/personal experience anecdotes that perhaps will soothe my nerves when I screw up or something hahaha :(

Really appreciate it! :D

Hey guys,

I'm a humble undergrad and I'm working with a prof specializing in cancer research this summer. He's got 4 PhD/Master students working for him and I can't help but feel a little intimidated. I've taken molecular/microbiology and genetics but haven't really worked with the things that I've been learning. From what I gather, I'd be helping out his PhDs and maybe like run gels or PCR or something...? I keep thinking that I'm gonna mess something up and I'll just be a nuisance around them :(

I'd really like some advice/personal experience anecdotes that perhaps will soothe my nerves when I screw up or something hahaha :(

You are going to mess up and that's ok. You are sort of expected to :P But, there are different types of messing up and that's where you need to be careful. No one will be upset if you mess something up because you don't have the best technique yet or you accidentally made a mistake that most people do when they start off but people will be upset if you:

1) Pretend you know everything because you are too intimidated to ask questions and then, proceed to screw up the whole experiment.

2) Don't listen to what they have to say and their instructions and then do "what sort of seemed right".

3) Don't work hard because you're just a summer volunteer.

So, really, work hard, listen to the instructions, ask questions and you'll do at least as well as all the other volunteers before you.

P.S. I am doing a PhD and have supervised students before.

You are going to mess up and that's ok. You are sort of expected to :P But, there are different types of messing up and that's where you need to be careful. No one will be upset if you mess something up because you don't have the best technique yet or you accidentally made a mistake that most people do when they start off but people will be upset if you:

1) Pretend you know everything because you are too intimidated to ask questions and then, proceed to screw up the whole experiment.

2) Don't listen to what they have to say and their instructions and then do "what sort of seemed right".

3) Don't work hard because you're just a summer volunteer.

So, really, work hard, listen to the instructions, ask questions and you'll do at least as well as all the other volunteers before you.

P.S. I am doing a PhD and have supervised students before.

Quoted for truth. There is nothing quite as good as research for curing you of the idea that making mistakes is a really bad thing. :)

Hey guys,

:o I just drew a comic about my first experience in a cancer lab! lol here it is:

Study+Tipz+03.png

That pretty much sums it up :P

:o I just drew a comic about my first experience in a cancer lab! lol here it is:
Cute comic! And true.

To the OP: My #1 piece of advice is if you're confused/unsure/need clarification, then ASK right away. I can't even remember how many times a mixup could have been avoided if the person in question had asked about the unclear aspect. ASK QUESTIONS (even if the answer seems obvious)!

The grad students will be your asset as they'll be responsible for most of your hands on learning(or they should be). Be nice to them and they'll take you under their wing:) . If you make a mistake, let them know early when it happened , they'll appreciate your honesty.

Archived