Premed 101 Forums

timing of mcat?

Guest none

my question doesn't have to w/ whether to take the mcat in april or august. with my schedule for this year and next it looks like i'll be taking the mcat during my 2nd semester of physics. is this bad? can i learn the material that i need to know on my own and how hard would it be to learn? i should note that i have zero background in physics, so is it necessary ALL required courses be finished prior to taking the exam? thanks

Guest Ian Wong

Hi there,

There's a fair amount of information in the Premed101.com FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions), so maybe pop in there to check out the MCAT preparation section.

pub44.ezboard.com/fpremed101frm0.showMessage?topicID=423.topic

There's no guarantee that the MCAT will test you on the same Physics knowledge that you'll be getting in your courses. However, I think that without a previous Physics backgroun, unless you are fairly numerically inclined, most people would find studying for the Physical Sciences section easier after completing the full year of Physics.

On the other hand, if you learn well from a textbook, and have the time and motivation, I'm sure you could learn that material on your own as well. What you might want to do is check out some MCAT prep material, such as the AAMC practice exams, and test yourself as you study the Physics. If you are doing well on the practice tests, then the actual Physical Sciences section on the MCAT is also likely to go smoothly.

I'm going to move this thread to the MCAT forum. :)

Ian

UBC, Med 3

Archived