Premed 101 Forums

Medical Radiation Sciences at Michener

Hi all. I was wondering if anyone has any experiences to share about the medical radiation sciences program at Michener, and in particular, the radiation therapy program. I've heard that the job prospects, pay, lifestyle for this profession is good. And it seems that upon completing of the BSc diploma you can use this to apply to med schools. I was wondering about the following:

1) The program's website indicates the minimum grade of admission is B-. what would be a realistic competitive GPA of the average admitted student?

2) Are upward trends in academic records taken into consideration?

3) what are the weightings of GPA and interview scores in admission decisions, respectively?

4) Would applicants be flagged if they performed poorly on one of the prereq undergraduate courses listed? (but still got C- or above)

5) Are there significant differences in the average admitted GPAs across the three disciplines of the medical radiation sciences program?

6) most importantly, how difficult is it to obtain med school-competitive grades in the program?

I've already emailed the program but I figured some anecdotal evidence wouldn't hurt. Thanks. :)

Hi Egg_McMuffin,

Great questions. I'm in my clinical simulation semester between 2nd and 3rd (which is final) years of the MRS program, particularly Radiological Technology stream.

I have much to say about my program, but in the interest of time, I need to keep it short for now. I will be very happy to answer further questions and will check back on this thread.

The program's website indicates the minimum grade of admission is B-. what would be a realistic competitive GPA of the average admitted student?

2) Are upward trends in academic records taken into consideration?

3) what are the weightings of GPA and interview scores in admission decisions, respectively?

4) Would applicants be flagged if they performed poorly on one of the prereq undergraduate courses listed? (but still got C- or above)

5) Are there significant differences in the average admitted GPAs across the three disciplines of the medical radiation sciences program?

6) most importantly, how difficult is it to obtain med school-competitive grades in the program?

Answers:

1. Average GPA should be 3.1+ ish and prerequisite 1st year courses should be over 2.7ish at the MINIMUM.

2. Your application essay must be very strong. Reference why you are interested in these fields. Give examples of your validation for applying.

3. I don't know the weightings, but the interview used for this past cycle has been MMI for the first time for this program. You need to prep for the MMIs and they matter a lot.

4. I don't know about flagged, but it's best not to have anything below 2.7 in first year, pre-req courses.

5. There are no difference at the level of application across the 3 streams. This is unlike the McMaster program.

6. It is NOT EASY to get Med-school level grades in the program, but VERY POSSIBLE. I know because I have just wrapped up my 2nd year and will be applying for med now.

I have much more to say, but will need to come back to this later. If you have any specific questions, PM me and I'll see if I can help.

N.B. This program has been marketed aggressively since I started in 2009 and so it has been getting continuously more difficult to get into.

• 9 months later...

Archived