Premed 101 Forums

French medical schools requirements.

Guest tmacgirl

Guest tmacgirl

I have several questions on Quebec's French Medical Schools

1-Can you apply after 2nd year? or third year?

2-Is the MCAT required? I heard it wasn't

3- Is their a language test that Anglos must pass?

4- I know McGill will consider me a Quebec resident because I was born in Quebec what about the French schools?

Guest DimitriTheDr

For Universite de Montreal there are a number of steps in which one must "prove" their ability to speak French. The interview day is LONG and all info/tours are in French. There is also a group discussion in which 8 applicants discuss 3 different issues with 15 minutes per issue. My issues were whether or not drinkers should pay a fee for healthcare, whether or not we should install toll booths on highways...and some other random topic. There are 4 'supervisors' sitting around the table as well; each evaluating 2 students. After the excitement of this trial dies down there are individual interviews carried out by two interviewers on one interviewee - again in French. I can safely say that this experience scarred me. Also, if you did not go to a French highschool you must also pass a French test...and by pass i'm pretty sure it is meant ACE. Anyway, if you're a Quebecer and have good stats McGill shouldn't be a problem. GOOD LUCK!!

Guest tmacgirl

First I would like to thank-you for the information on the interview process at Universitie de Montreal (My first choice)."Proof" of my ability to speak french is something that worries me yet hopefully will not be difficult for me since my major at UofT will be a double major in french and biology.

Anyways I was hoping if you (or anyone else) could provide me with more information such as how many University credits I must have before I can apply. Thank-you

Guest peachy
"Proof" of my ability to speak french is something that worries me
If I were you, I'd look at the various tests not as a hurdle to be overcome, but as an honest chance to evaluate whether or not your French is good enough. After all, if you get through, you're going to have to take medical school in French, which has got to be pretty difficult if you aren't fully fluent!

Guest scooter

I was in a similar boat regarding my French (I didn't end up applying to Quebec schools because they required Physics...) but in general i wanted to ensure my French was good so I got a job in QUebec during the summer. You get paid the same as at another job but you get 24 hrs/day lessons in French!! Also, if you could do an exchange year or semester in Quebec, France, Belgium ect that would help your application, your french, and you wine dependance ;)

Guest tmacgirl

The thing with the french requirement is that I was born and raised in Quebec where I did French since Pre-K. Its just that when I moved to Ontario in grade 9 I began to lose my french knowledge due to a lack of practice. I did recieve french practice in the summer since I do visit my grandma for two months however my fear isn't the spoken but writing which was not focused on in the highschool I went to in Ontario. I do however hope to improve my grammer and become fluent in both spoken and written french.

Thamks guys. Also I love the exchange idea scooter :)

Guest noncestvrai

I have several questions on Quebec's French Medical Schools

1-Can you apply after 2nd year? or third year?

Yes, but only for the 5 year program, with only a couple of spots available.

2-Is the MCAT required? I heard it wasn't

No, except McGill.

3- Is their a language test that Anglos must pass?

I believe so, I have no idea of the modalities since I did CEGEP in French. You should call the Faculties.

4- I know McGill will consider me a Quebec resident because I was born in Quebec what about the French schools?

This is not a McGill, but a Quebec government policy.

noncestvrai

Archived