Premed 101 Forums

Grad school after MED-P and med school

mydream

Hey!

I will be attending MED-P this fall. After medical school, I will get a MDCM degree. I was wondering, does this count as an undergraduate degree? Because I would like to do a Master of Science or a Ph.D after medical school. I am thinking about grad schools in Canada, US, and UK. Do I absolutely need a B.Sc.?

Thanks a lot!

I think you can, it will be tougher since you do not have any research done in your premed year. I know McGill has the program where the medical degree can be conjoined with the PhD program. As stated on the website: http://www.med.mcgill.ca/mdphd/aboutus.html

Students applying to the program should have had experience in research, such as a master’s degree, honour’s research project, or summer research.

Maybe you can get yourself to volunteer in a lab?

The MD/PhD program is only for students who completed an undergrad degree prior to MDCM. In Canada, the MD program is considered as an undergrad degree so you can probably apply for research after your MD degree. In the meantime you can give a try at the Summer Research Bursary program (http://www.mcgill.ca/medresearch/undergraduate/bursary/summer/) or even contact researchers. I know a friend who was really motivated and he's been doing research during his whole Med-P year.

Yeah you can. Get a Ph.D in med after and you can play a big role in clinical research. I also believe you get research opportunities along the way in medicine. There's even a special program also offered to Med-Ps to get paid research experience in your summer following the Med-P year.

Hey!

I will be attending MED-P this fall. After medical school, I will get a MDCM degree. I was wondering, does this count as an undergraduate degree? Because I would like to do a Master of Science or a Ph.D after medical school. I am thinking about grad schools in Canada, US, and UK. Do I absolutely need a B.Sc.?

Thanks a lot!

you won't need a BSc after MDCM. you'll be able to do grad school just fine.

Thanks a lot! Im also curious, by being a student going into med without a B.Sc. how disadvantaged will I be compared to the other med students with a bachelor degree? Will I have any advantages at all? except being a younger med student?

Some people start Med with a B.A. so you shouldn't worry :P However if you take the physiology courses, it'll be easier for you to understand some parts.

Like over9000 suggested, I'd recommend taking Stats (Math 203) if you didn't in CEGEP, Anatomy, Physiology 209 and 210. And the required biol courses: Biol 200 and 201. YOu'll be all set for Med1 and Stats is super useful later on for research.

But its not totally neccessary - some people take a stream distantly related to bio at all (like physics) and I'm sure they'll be fine next year too. Its really a year for you to explore but the above is perhaps the most related courses.

Archived