Premed 101 Forums

Gifts for LoR writers

How to thank LoR writers?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. How to thank LoR writers?

• Nothing is required.
    • An email is fine.
    • A handwritten thank you card, preferably hand-delivered.
    • Thank you card with a small gift.

Hi, I was wondering what the proper etiquette is for thanking your LoR writers.

I hear mixed opinions that you should just handwrite a note as a gift comes off as unprofessional. I also hear that a small gift is appropriate, such as a box of chocolates or a gift card to a restaurant. I don't want to offend either of my professors as it never hurts to keep them in your network.

Thoughts? What did you end up doing, if anything, when you were accepted into medical school?

Showing appreciation is most important. I tried to thank them all personally at the time of writing, Of course, I shared the good news when it came. I gave one as small box of chocolates (after writing the LoR) I knew she adored and one who was away, I sent a handwritten note of thanks.

I know my referees on a really personal level (and they all wrote me multiple letters this year), so I accompanied a handwritten thank you note with a gift. I wouldn't say they were small gifts, but it depends on the comfort level I guess between you and the referee.

• 2 weeks later...

Whatever you do, do *something.* (for the 6 people who said that nothing is required) How would you feel if you had spent hours of your personal time helping someone get into medical school, and they didn't bother to let you know they had been accepted? How likely would you be to want to help them again in the future?

I am a big believer in a card with a hand written, personal thank you note. It feels complete and personal.

Funny thing is... I have written LORs for other people for Canadian med schools and pharmacy etc, and I haven't got any thank you notes!

I am a big believer in a card with a hand written, personal thank you note. It feels complete and personal.

Funny thing is... I have written LORs for other people for Canadian med schools and pharmacy etc, and I haven't got any thank you notes!

Did you write them good letters? ;)

Archived