Premed 101 Forums

Queen's vs. UOttawa- unusual comparison?

Hey everyone out there..

I've been accepted to both Queen's and Ottawa (and waitlisted at UofT), and I'm super excited about both schools..which makes it SUPER difficult to choose..

Here's what I've heard so far that makes each a little different:

Queen's: really tight knit group, really really close, lots of spirit and tradition, lots of contact with faculty. Great clinical skills program, lots of good matches

Ottawa: really great curriculum- afternoons off!! Lots of time for electives.

Can anyone help me look beyond this and try to distinguish a bit more between the two? Or share their experiences?

UOttawa: is there still a sense of community? do the people generally 'mesh' well? Why did you choose Ottawa?

I'm from montreal and I specifically did my undergrad at UofT because I wanted to be in a big city- so I'm a little anxious about Kingston.

Any input would be great- tell me why you love your school or why you don't

Thanks guys

Ronnie

Both.. but given that they're both great schools I guess I'm looking more at where i'll be happiest and therefore most likely to succeed.

also- how do i move this thread- i accidentally posted it in the premed rather than med discussion section

A mod can move it.

There is another thread on here with the exact same discussion on Queens vs Ottawa.

My advice: take a weekend in each city and try to experience it as you would living there and being a student.

Use that as your comparison.

I have attended some lectures at Queen's medical school. everyone seemed to know each other. The professors know students by name. One professor used a Richard Scary picture of bunnies on a bus to help the students remember that hemoglobin carries oxygen. Another professor had a large model to show how the lungs work.

If you are looking for a place to live in Kingston email me. I have rooms for rent in my my quiet home. 25 minute walk to the medical school.

Kingston is a small city but there are lots of things to do here.

For example, the Queen's swing dance club is great fun.

You are so fortunate to be accepted by more than one medical school.

Archived