Premed 101 Forums

Saudi Woman Arrested for Driving - Charged With Shaming the Kingdom

apache

welllll they are pretty bad at driving...

:D yah haha, come on guys lets keep some perspective here! Could you imagine your wife/spouse/self getting arrested for using a certain form of transportation? What about bicycles? skateboards? rollerblades? I would like to see some legislation on rollerblades here personally...

apparently the taxi cab business there is booming because women use taxis!

:D yah haha, come on guys lets keep some perspective here! Could you imagine your wife/spouse/self getting arrested for using a certain form of transportation? What about bicycles? skateboards? rollerblades? I would like to see some legislation on rollerblades here personally...

welllll they are pretty bad at driving...

Omg... what are you talking about?!:mad:

Here in Canada we're allowed to drive, and man, I'm telling you, I hit about like 20 cars a day- that's not too many:) And like omg! those traffic lights are like so pretty! I wonder if the colours mean anything.. I mean, people always honk at me when there's a red light as I'm driving... And whatever artist painted those yellow solid lines on the road should totally have picked a different colour... like pink or something- it'd be so much prettier! It's not like those lines do anything anyway! Why not make it pretty?! I'm so glad I can save time getting ready in the morning too- I do all my make-up while driving! That's what that mirror attached to the front window is for right?

Just to make sure, it's ok if my tire is flat on the bottom, right?;)

You are absolutely right; religion has no influence on culture whatsoever. They are completely and totally different things, especially in muslim countries. In fact even how they say hello is completely devoid of religious influence. I would go out on a limb here and say that everyone should be careful what they post because there is absolutely no correlation between religion and human rights/gender equality. Wait was she arrested by the religious police or the cultural police?

Apologists, you have to twist logic and language to such extremes to protect your absurdities.

to you your thoughts...i just hope for the sake of your patients that your personal Islamophobic beliefs do not hinder your practice and labeling of a person by their religion...

Yes, thank you, I forgot that everyone who believes in human/women’s rights and opposes the atrocities that are conducted in the name of islam is automatically islamaphobic and incapable of treating people as individuals in a professional and unbiased manner. When you have no leg to stand on the best way to win an argument is to call people names or accuse them of being bigoted, side step the issue at hand, and run with your tail between your legs. Oh wait........

Depends on how you define freedom and whether or not you think it has any limitations . However, I agree that actions committed in the name of religion by certain practitioners might not represent the religion itself.

Oh yes of course it is a religious and not a cultural issue. There are over 50 muslim states in the world. Would you kindly count the number of all muslim countries that have banned women from driving?

And I agree with the previous poster. For your and your patients' good, I hope you dont come across any muslim patients and the ones you do come across, you refuse to treat them. That would be more professional than hating them in your heart with a smile on your face.

O RLY?

I think the medical establishment would disagree

I don't have to respect what a person believes to still respect that person and human life.

Indeed. In some cases to respect someone as a human being it may be necessary to not respect their ludicrous superstitions.

There are over 50 muslim states in the world.

There should be zero muslim states (or Christian states, or any other religion). There should be secular states with freedom of religion and if some of those states happen to have a muslim majority so be it.

I don't understand what's wrong with islamophobia.

Islam is a very primitive religion and it's okay to disagree with the ideology or even hate it.

Does this mean I have to dislike all muslim countries? Of course not. Turkey is like 99% muslim, but I like Turkey. Turkish people don't take Islam too seriously; they are more logical in nature. (I can't say the same about many other countries though)

The less seriously muslims take islam, the more humanistic they can be. This goes with all religions...

Islam may be primitive formed appx 1400 years ago but concept Christianity arose centuries before it and Judaism is even older than that. By that rationale then there is no problem hating both of them even more.

I will disagree with the other point. Maybe taking an extreme interpretation of religion will make someone a brute but you don't need to less humanistic to be a complete follower of a religion nor is it necessary to be narrow minded if you take your faith seriously . If you believe in your religion you basically avoid doing what it commands you to abstain from and in addition to behaving normally follow whatever reinforces its ideology. It would be naive to think that religious motivation is the only root cause of savagery. Many other things can take its place.

here's a question for you all, is practical xenophobia (beyond the point of enjoying others food, surface level culture, i'm talking deeply ingrained societal beliefs which may go against the social norms of the country) in general, morally justifiable (i'm a post modernist who believes in individually determined ethical values so i'm just interested to hear different views on the topic, i already have my own)? i know this will be hard to look at objectively since we've all been raised in an almost indoctrinated way to be multicultural, but why doesn't someone try and explain why multiculturalism is better than some of the cultural homogeny you see in europe (go to france or the netherlands, and see how tolerant they are of other cultures (hard islam in particular)), instead of just pulling out the old party line of multiculturalism is great! personally, i'd like a unique sense of culture call myself canadian, unfortunately, it doesn't exist! as bill maher said, i wish i were swiss :)

Greece is 95 percent christian but ****, go there and we don't follow the traditional "ideologies" at all, so I follow what you're saying with Turkey.

I don't understand what's wrong with islamophobia.

Islam is a very primitive religion and it's okay to disagree with the ideology or even hate it.

Does this mean I have to dislike all muslim countries? Of course not. Turkey is like 99% muslim, but I like Turkey. Turkish people don't take Islam too seriously; they are more logical in nature. (I can't say the same about many other countries though)

The less seriously muslims take islam, the more humanistic they can be. This goes with all religions...

Waffles, tasty waffles, lots of tasty waffles, served hot.

How to defend yourself when you are clueless and unable to form a logical argument:

1) insert fingers in ears while simultaneously closing eyes

2) repeat "its not true" until you feel reassured

3) play the PC card and repeat over and over again that "they are only against me because they are bigots, their arguments are therefore void"

4) take ball and go home

They should change the name from islamaphobia to islamaloathia. I honestly thought we would have a few more years before it became common to exploit tolerance to hide intolerance, I really did.

"We refuse to renounce our critical spirit out of fear of being accused of "Islamophobia", a wretched concept that confuses criticism of Islam as a religion and stigmatisation of those who believe in it" Salman Rushdie.

Muse: IMO homogenous cultures are good up until a certain point; they give people a sense of identity and belonging. A comfort place and in-group they can find support in. Everyone likes to have a flag, even in our multicultural society many people are patriotic to a home country they may have never even been to. The downside is then there are always outsiders, who by definition, don’t belong to the group. Tolerance of outsiders may be high but true respect is hard to find. That’s what we are as a country, nothing more than a gaggle of small groups, a union of gangs. It would be nice if we had an identity that wasn't supposed to be "having multiple identities". However, as far as I am concerned, what most people would consider "culture" I think is nothing more than an excuse to slow progress, and although beautiful, it belongs with other obsolete relics, in a museum.

Please calm down.

You need to understand that in every religion, in every culture, there are people that will take certain things and twist them to their advantage. There is nothing that says that women shouldn't drive cars, yet the wahabi saudis (whom I despise INTENSELY) are in charge and they enforce whatever rules they want and get some crazy cleric to back up their sayings with a shoddy verse they found somewhere in the Koran. That's the way things are in many places around the world, and even here, you notice variants of such practices, albeit less conspicuous in nature.

Archived