Premed 101 Forums

Upper year KINE courses @ York

Exercise Phys, Advanced Exercise Phys: Cardiovascular, Endocrine

All of those are good as far as I know- only took the first one but Birot teaches cardio and he's great!

Leap is probably better able to comment on this.

Birot is awesome. He once called out these people who were talking loudly:

*French accent* "If you want to chat you can go the cafe and get your coffee and biscotti and chat."

Best class ever. hahaha

Performed a search and found the following:

I heard functional neuroanatomy was really hard...and I remember looking at the powerpoints for neurosci and they were pretty intense/scientific. Immune is supposedly a good course though, and its taught by Wu which is always a bonus

Can you take these kine courses without the prereqs? has anyone ever tried? I'm a bio major and don't have the prereqs for most of these courses but they sound way more interesting than some of the bio courses!!

It depends on the course. For eg, I doubt the prof will let you into functional anatomy if you havent taken anatomy. But if you've taken chordate anatomy, he might. If the prereq is fitness and health, human phy I or phys II then the prof will most probably let you in assuming you've taken cell bio.

And I've taken a couple without the prereqs. You just need to email the prof and ask for their permission.

It depends on the course. For eg, I doubt the prof will let you into functional anatomy if you havent taken anatomy. But if you've taken chordate anatomy, he might. If the prereq is fitness and health, human phy I or phys II then the prof will most probably let you in assuming you've taken cell bio.

And I've taken a couple without the prereqs. You just need to email the prof and ask for their permission.

I would disagree. Ask Fallah if you're allowed to enrol in the course without prereqs. It doesn't hurt to ask.

so Human phys 2 can be taken without human phys 1? I've heard that part 2 is way harder than part 1 so would you recommend taking it without part 1. I have taken cell bio in 2nd year and animal phys 2 as well..and what about human nutrition? thanks!

I took human nutrition without the prereqs. You def don't need the prereqs to do well in that course.

For phys 2, yes you can take it without taking phys 1. We go in much more detail in cell biology than they do in phys 1 (phys 1 is physiology at the cellular level i.e. cell biology).

• 3 weeks later...
OP, what do you mean by research based? I took Advanced Cardio with Birot, and he said himself that it was research based.

Writing research papers, presentations, reading primary articles etc. A midterm and final does not sound like its research based tho lol. How was the content of that course?

• 1 month later...
Exercise Phys, Advanced Exercise Phys: Cardiovascular, Endocrine

All of those are good as far as I know- only took the first one but Birot teaches cardio and he's great!

Leap is probably better able to comment on this.

What did you guys do in the excercise phys labs?

Did either of you end up signing up for it? I'm taking it- thinking of doing a masters in neuro if I don't get into med this cycle, figured it would be a useful class :)

Be tortured!

It involved exercise bikes every single lab and setting the resistance so high that someone had to watch the biker. Not so pleasant.

Nope, will possibly take it next year though. Got into some birdies this year: 3710 (Immune System) with Gillian Wu and 3635 (Epidemiology) with Hala Tamin :D

Oh man, I'm taking Exercise Phys next semester...the Human Phys II labs were fun, doesn't seem to be the case with Exercise Phys!

Nope, will possibly take it next year though. Got into some birdies this year: 3710 (Immune System) with Gillian Wu and 3635 (Epidemiology) with Hala Tamin :D

Oh man, I'm taking Exercise Phys next semester...the Human Phys II labs were fun, doesn't seem to be the case with Exercise Phys!

What's phys i and 2 like? Im doing both this yr so just curious aboit their difficulity in general.

Archived