Premed 101 Forums

*What to do when scores go missing

Guest Ian Wong

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*Asif

Date:***11/14/2000 8:21 am*PST

I need help.

I have applied to 8 med school....sent in everything

Told MCAT people to send my scores to schools in Sept.

Its now Nov..the schools dont have em

I have proof and receipt of everything..but what do I do

If the schools dont have my scores...no supplemental apps.

What do I do..my life is on the line

Thanks

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*Simon Chiu, UG3

Date:***11/14/2000 1:21 pm*PST

I think the best way is to call up the schools directly and explain to them the situation. Then, try to get the schools to call the MCAT office DIRECTLY as MCAT will not release the scores upon verbal (over the phone) requests.

Guest Ian Wong

Date:***11/15/2000 5:32 am*PST

Well

The Canadian schools have the scores. Just the states dont

Call the MCAT and fax them the receipt of request, and they will get it out in the next couple of days.

Called UPenn...and they gave ext till Dec 15th.

Other schools...dont know..School I call all of the schools in the states.

What do you think they will say

Thanks for you help guys

Asif

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*Ian Wong, MS2

Date:***11/14/2000 5:45 pm*PST

Hi,

Like Simon said, you NEED to get in contact with each school to explain your situation. Call them. Even if they have a policy that states not to call them, in this case, you need to do so anyway. You must also have your paperwork ready, so that you can confirm with the medical school that you tried everything possible to get those scores sent. Fax them if you need to. That, and e-mail should be lower on the priority than calling, because faxes and emails can be bounced around the office, or ignored/lost completely. You really want to talk to someone on the admissions committee.

Med schools are not out to "get you", and I believe that most will be sympathetic to your troubles. I think lost pieces of applications are more common than we think, and the admissions committees will recognise this, and not disqualify you on the spot.

Still, chances for you don't look as good because you are behind in the application race. It's invariably an advantage to have your materials in early, because you don't get caught up in the logjam as everyone sends their application in a week before the deadline (up here in Canada anyway). If you are applying to US schools (I couldn't tell from your message), then rolling admissions means that you must hurry even more, as each day that you lose is another day for the medical schools to fill their seats with other students.

Keep us updated as to how things are going.

Ian

Can,MS2

Guest Ian Wong

Date:***11/15/2000 5:33 am*PST

Well

The Canadian schools have the scores. Just the states dont

Call the MCAT and fax them the receipt of request, and they will get it out in the next couple of days.

Called UPenn...and they gave ext till Dec 15th.

Other schools...dont know..School I call all of the schools in the states.

What do you think they will say

Thanks for you help guys

Asif

But Ian.

My scores are awesome..its just that they dont have it..And I really wanted to go to the states for school. Do you think i sitll have a chance.

Thanks alot

Archived