Premed 101 Forums

Support Thread for those with Lower GPA's

In light of the new AQ changes that (seemingly) favour more academically inclined applicants, I have noticed a significant drop in my own motivation to do all that it takes to get a (UBC) admission. I'm already freaking out thinking about contingency plans and already assuming that I will never get an interview at UBC.

So here's a thread to generate some optimism for those with overall GPAs (after the proposed drop, and SFU / UVic students included) in the 75% - 83% range.

Holla.

Let me offer one point of optimism before UBC takes this away too: A larger emphasis on the MCAT this cycle which would allow someone to really study hard and pump out a 35+ to compensate for what UBC thinks is a "disadvantaged" GPA.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The fact of the matter is, if you meet at least the 75% average you have a chance... Otherwise they wouldn't do a full file review. Unless they change the minimum.

Don't give up.

Good luck and try working on the NAQ or going back for a second degree.

I don't even know I have 80% or not. I was very nervous these days seeing the new policy and the thread on premed. Can't even focus on MCAT study sometimes. I emailed them to ask how they'll convert my GPA but never got reply.

Don't let premed threads stress you out! It's a total waste of time for people to be panicking over the AQ scale - you have no control over how your grades are scored so don't worry about it. Focus on what you can control, like studying for your MCAT and building on your NAQ score. People can get accepted with GPAs in the 70's so it's worth a shot as long as you meet the minimum cut-off. Best of luck!!

Don't let premed threads stress you out! It's a total waste of time for people to be panicking over the AQ scale - you have no control over how your grades are scored so don't worry about it. Focus on what you can control, like studying for your MCAT and building on your NAQ score. People can get accepted with GPAs in the 70's so it's worth a shot as long as you meet the minimum cut-off. Best of luck!!

Thank you for your words. I was never confident enough to say med school is the only thing I want, so I couldn't stop thinking of other backups. That's also why I cant pursuade myself to devote 100% into MCAT, since I keep thinking even if I get an OK MCAT score, I'm still not going to make it. This feeling is so annoying. But I guess I really have to push it harder.

Well said!

I'd agree with querty - stress about what you can change, not about what you can't ... much easier said than done, I know :)

I'd say to balance a healthy sense of optimism with a good dollop of reality. Yes, people do get accepted with marks in the mid to high 70s, but these need to be understood for what they are - exceptions. Given the changes this cycle, it's hard to say anything with certainty, but I'd say low 80s should put you in a decent spot if you have strong ECs. It's all really just speculation though.

If med is something you're hell bent on doing, and if you're actively taking steps to improve year-over-year, I really do believe that provided you have the baseline AQ required, whatever that may be, you'll get it. May not be when or where you want, but you'll get it.

And yep, I hear ya Rwethereyet, I've gone through the same thing myself. Tough to stay motivated if that apparent disconnect between your efforts and your goals becomes established. So I refer back to my previous paragraph :)

PS my 2 cents on the MCAT: I doubt that it will gain more importance this round - Finkler gave the test little, if any weight during his premed admissions talk at SFU earlier this year. I doubt that it will be dropped altogether, but my hunch is that it will continue to be used as it already it - as a flag.

• 5 months later...

Excuse my language but if that's actually true UBC is full of S7*&. Eternal...I don't know what to say. UBC has obviously messed up designing their new evaluation criteria. If the say minimum to apply is 75%, to me it means that if you ace the NAQ and have 75% you should get an interview.

This is just ridiculous.

Excuse my language but if that's actually true UBC is full of S7*&. Eternal...I don't know what to say. UBC has obviously messed up designing their new evaluation criteria. If the say minimum to apply is 75%, to me it means that if you ace the NAQ and have 75% you should get an interview.

This is just ridiculous.

Well you never know what the applicant pool is going to be like. So just to be safe I dont see whats wrong with having a 75% minimum.

This is just ridiculous.

It's ridiculous because while AQ appears to be a percentile scale, NAQ isn't and so folks like eternal would have an incredibly difficult time getting in despite a spectacular (perfect!) NAQ score.

Thank you for your support. I am talking to the powers that be and writing a letter. I find it ridiculous as well especially given UBC's and Finkler's 'missions'. Not to mention the province's missions. Plus those grades that sunk my gpa were awarded when things beyond my control were happening, I wrote a letter of explanation, and they ignored it completely. I know I have a case and I will represent it and all the applicants this might affect.

Thank you for your support. I am talking to the powers that be and writing a letter. I find it ridiculous as well especially given UBC's and Finkler's 'missions'. Not to mention the province's missions. Plus those grades that sunk my gpa were awarded when things beyond my control were happening, I wrote a letter of explanation, and they ignored it completely. I know I have a case and I will represent it and all the applicants this might affect.

Well to be frank,due to the competitive applicant pool, any system they follow will leave out qualified applicants. It appears that UBC has decided to put more emphasis on academics which places some students at an unfair disadvantage. If a system puts more emphasis on life experiences and non academics another set of qualified applicants would be put at an unfair disadvantage. There is no perfect system.

At the end of the day the school can choose which way they want to go and they would be totally justified in doing so.

Well you never know what the applicant pool is going to be like. So just to be safe I dont see whats wrong with having a 75% minimum.

Why is everyone pointing at the applicant pool, like a surge of smart folks applied this cycle all at once? I do not think it is the applicant pool. UBC decided to put more emphasis on GPA and that seems to be the ongoing trend since last year.

Why is everyone pointing at the applicant pool, like a surge of smart folks applied this cycle all at once? I do not think it is the applicant pool. UBC decided to put more emphasis on GPA and that seems to be the ongoing trend since last year.

Sorry I should have clarified more, I meant the applicant pool in general. I was not being specific to this year. What I meant is that whatever UBC does (as long as there is some sort of systematic system), there are so many good applicants that they wont go wrong. This has also been true in the recent past

In light of the new AQ changes that (seemingly) favour more academically inclined applicants, I have noticed a significant drop in my own motivation to do all that it takes to get a (UBC) admission. I'm already freaking out thinking about contingency plans and already assuming that I will never get an interview at UBC.

So here's a thread to generate some optimism for those with overall GPAs (after the proposed drop, and SFU / UVic students included) in the 75% - 83% range.

Holla.

Let me offer one point of optimism before UBC takes this away too: A larger emphasis on the MCAT this cycle which would allow someone to really study hard and pump out a 35+ to compensate for what UBC thinks is a "disadvantaged" GPA.

Hey Just wondering how you know that the MCAT will be worth more this year? I've actually been hoping for a while that UBC would put more weight in the MCAT as it is the only standardized measurement out there.

Thanks

Hey Just wondering how you know that the MCAT will be worth more this year? I've actually been hoping for a while that UBC would put more weight in the MCAT as it is the only standardized measurement out there.

Thanks

I am not sure if there is any evidence saying the MCAT is weighted more this year. Keep in mind the post you quoted was posted 6 months ago.

The problem to me is that there is almost no possible way to redeem yourself once you have a lot of credits and insufficient GPA. In the USA, an amazing MCAT score can bring up a bad GPA. Not so in Canada (well, maybe a verbal score might help at McMaster or Calgary...)

But if I can come back from 76% on 151 credits, then so can anyone! But I'm not gonna lie and give false hope: If your GPA is really bad it will take crazy hard work to come back from it, meaning years of dedication... But it can be done.

Archived