Premed 101 Forums

Stupid question

So Im trying to figgure out how to get to med school and possible become a surgeon. Im still in highschool right now but Im trying to figgure out what Im gonna need to do in order to get to my end goal (becoming a surgeon.) However every time I try to look somthing up I find that what I thought I knew was wrong and/or there is more to it. So Im wondering if any one can help me out here. I need to know what is involved in becoming a certified surgeon here in Canada. So far I got about as far as 1) I need a undergrad before medschool and... well thats about as much that Im actualy sure of at this point...:confused:

Thanks in advance for any advice as Im really lost here.

So Im trying to figgure out how to get to med school and possible become a surgon. Im still in highschool right now but Im trying to figgure out what Im gonna need to do in order to get to my end goal (becoming a surgon.) However every time I try to look somthing up I find that what I thought I knew was wrong and/or there is more to it. So Im wondering if any one can help me out here. I need to know what is involved in becoming a certified surgon here in Canada. So far I got about as far as 1) I need a undergrad before medschool and... well thats about as much that Im actualy sure of at this point...:confused:

Thanks in advance for any advice as Im really lost here.

1.) 4 bachelors degree in anything of your choice (or 3 years of said bachelors without actually completing it)

2.) medical degree (3 or 4 years depending on where you would like to go)

3.) residency in surgery (about 5-6 years)

4.) probably wouldn't hurt to learn to spell "surgeon" as well.

1.) 4 bachelors degree in anything of your choice (or 3 years of said bachelors without actually completing it)

2.) medical degree (3 or 4 years depending on where you would like to go)

3.) residency in surgery (about 5-6 years)

4.) probably wouldn't hurt to learn to spell "surgeon" as well.

he mispelt it once :P

first of all, thanks for the advice and thanks for pointing out my spelling mistakes, however I want advice on school and not my english. so again thanks but its really not needed... altho if any one else has anything to add to what NewfieMike or anything thats different then that would help.

Also if any one knows whether or not it changes from school to school then if any one knows where I can find out that information that would be great.

Thanks again guys

first of all, thanks for the advice and thanks for pointing out my spelling mistakes, however I want advice on school and not my english. so again thanks but its really not needed... altho if any one else has anything to add to what NewfieMike or anything thats different then that would help.

Also if any one knows whether or not it changes from school to school then if any one knows where I can find out that information that would be great.

Thanks again guys

How long does it take to become a surgeon:

He explains everything you need to know. And goes through the same steps as Newf mentioned (well, the surgeon doesn't mention step four that mike did, but you get the point :) ).

And, really it's good to do your own search on google unless you have any specific questions about things you're confused about :)

Generally, it's my understanding that from school to school it's relatively the same process. Though, certain steps like your bachelor's degree may take shorter or longer. And, depending on what type of surgeon you want to be, it may take shorter or longer.

Why don't you check the OSMAS Site? They have a handbook that lists all the requirements for each school. Plus you could easily google the name of the school your are interested in learning about, and learn about their policies et cetra. That's probably the best source for information relating to medicine. Also don't sweat it yet. You will learn about what it takes to be a doctor once you have stepped into undergraduate studies. See where life takes you, before you decide you want to be a certified surgeon :).

Archived