Premed 101 Forums

Chem 1000 and 1001 @ YorkU

Guest Transparent

I wouldn't suggest taking 1001 this semester either, your choice is either kyralov- who has a horrible Russian accent and expects you to know integrals, and flat out said you don't need a calculator for his tests since all you'll be doing is derivations, or ifa, who has literally never taught a class before, has an arguably worse accent than kyralov, and I **** you not he reads the PowerPoint slides without adding even an extra word of explanation, and goes through the slides so fast that you will finish class 1:45 minutes early.

Good luck! And welcome to f***in york

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wouldn't suggest taking 1001 this semester either, your choice is either kyralov- who has a horrible Russian accent and expects you to know integrals, and flat out said you don't need a calculator for his tests since all you'll be doing is derivations, or ifa, who has literally never taught a class before, has an arguably worse accent than kyralov, and I **** you not he reads the PowerPoint slides without adding even an extra word of explanation, and goes through the slides so fast that you will finish class 1:45 minutes early.

Good luck! And welcome to f***in york

You mean Krylov? You're a huge fan of York, aren't ya!

Also I think you've forgotten Johnson, who I hear isn't to bad compared to the 2 others

• 1 month later...
Goooo Athabasca!!

Glad I decided to take the second half of chem through there as well!

How does this work? I've never done anything in my life online so this is so new to me.

Does it count just like a regular course? And unis dont frown upon this?

I really want to take chem in the summer through here, since Hempsteads the course prof again..

Yep. All the Canadian schools will accept it minus McGill. I ended up dropping due to my Ottawa rejection (and Calg doesn't require it), but before that I was sitting at 86% after the midterm and some assignments. Compared to 48% on Hmepstead's first midterm LOL.

Wooow definitely seems like a good idea then.

guys take hempstead. He's the easiest of the bunch, and he actually isn't that bad a teacher

Yeah I've heard that you don't need to attend his classes... everything is on the slides!

Also, I don't think US schools would like it when you take prereqs online (i.e. if you're planning to apply to them).

couldn't one just as easily supplement the teaching with khanacademy.org?

One does not simply find legit online lectures.

The slides are pretty good though, you can skip all the classes except for the quantum chapter + chapter 12 (the last chapter)- becasue they are theory heavy and you might actually want someone to explain the concepts to you. The rest are just pure math, you can skip

I haven't taken chem in like 3 years. Since highschool. I don't remember ANYTHING. I really do not want hempsteadddd.

worry not, you don't need anything for chem other than basic algebra and basic knowledge of molarity and really grade 11 like that.

The other good news is that all of the things you need to know (basically all the useful parts of grade 11 and 12) are covered in the first 6 chapters, which they recommend you read before you start the course anyways.

I'm going to answer this in numbered form lol

1)Athabasca gave me permission to do orgo without gen chem

2)Ottawa counts human nutrition (yes, the kinesiology course) as a biochem...so I never had to take biochem in the traditional sense

3)I didn't do very well. Got an 8 in PS. Wouldn't recommend it. Never took physics or cell bio either...also a bad idea.

Hey CaptainCrunchMan, how did you get permission to do that? I'm trying to start chem 218 without finishing 217 and it's letting me do it only if I check off that I finished the first chem (which I didn't)... so that would be a bad idea right?.. lol or do they not really care?

Archived