Premed 101 Forums

NSERC blog

vdincale

hey!

I'm also currently doing a summer NSERC and i'm definitely not in the lab even close to 8 hours a day. there are full weeks in between experiments where i literally have nothing to do. not to mention equipment sharing and malfunction which really puts the brakes on productivity. What area are you doing your research in?

I look forward to reading your blog and living vicariously through your lab work. Hopefully your minipreps go well! A tip for journal club: complain about a lack of positive or negative controls, profs love that.

hey!

I'm also currently doing a summer NSERC and i'm definitely not in the lab even close to 8 hours a day. there are full weeks in between experiments where i literally have nothing to do. not to mention equipment sharing and malfunction which really puts the brakes on productivity. What area are you doing your research in?

My research area is epigenetics. What is yours? Also to say I "work" 9-5 isn't really true. My lab is about 30 minutes from home so I go to work everyday around 9ish and leave around 4 but I probably spend 50% of the day on my laptop waiting for experiments to run their course. I would leave and come back but it's just not feasible.

you have been ca-"liberated" from research :P

If there is one thing I can communicate to you guys about research is that it is full of setbacks and surprises. All of my equipment is out for repairs for about a week so I have nothing to do.. once it comes back I will have to calibrate it all and start all over.. :rolleyes:

I look forward to reading your blog and living vicariously through your lab work. Hopefully your minipreps go well! A tip for journal club: complain about a lack of positive or negative controls, profs love that.

They also like it when you question if drug/chemical concentrations used are physiologically relevant or not. ;) It will make you look like a superstar to ask these questions.

Archived