Premed 101 Forums

Why NOSM?

Guest Freddie LeG

Guest Freddie LeG

I have been accepted at MAC and NOSM. I am having trouble choosing NOSM even though it is close to my fiancé! It seems to make more sense to choose an established school over a pilot project. We might fall behind other schools due to problems that arise being the 'first'. Also, when it comes to residency, being from a school with no reputation might work against us! What a hard decision!!:eek

Guest dogpaddler09

Freddie:

First take my opinion seriously as I'm waitlisted at NOSM :P and I spent some time at Mac in undergad. All of your concerns are true. Mac is also a three year program if you're in a hurry. Oh yeah, Hamilton is really beautiful if you look at it from the right perspective and remember, Sudbury is where they trained Apollo astronauts as it resembled a moonscape. Plus, Hamiltonians are sweet, kind, generous, giving people whereas Sudburians are mean, small-hearted and ugly.

Note: the above post is in no way an accurate representation of the truth or my opinion. I'm just tryin' to laugh to keep from cryin' :P .

Guest NurseNathalie

Freddie, I have also been accepted at NOSM and McMaster...

I think that NOSM's 'reputation' should not really affect placements (in my opinion only)..

one thing to consider is the small class size. This is the most attractive 'perk' for me... although the program is new, I think they have done a marvelous job at making sure that it will be up to the standards when it comes to the quality of education. I anticipate many little glitches, but none to be unsurmountable.

I think that since the school IS new, and its the first class... there will be a lot of contact between prof and student... the small class will also facilitate the 'sharing' and inter-team work amongst the whole class...

dont know if THAT helps.. but thats something I considered and added to my 'pro for NOSM' list.

I still havent made up my mind! I wish I had a crystal ball! boy, two weeks is not a long time to decide, is it!

Guest dogpaddler09

Nathalie:

I think all successful applicants who have received an offer elsewhere should accept it for the good of society in Northern Ontario. The way I see it, you still are likely to practice in Northern Ontario even if you train at Mac. But if you are sitting in that spot at NOSM and some "sutherner" is at Mac then how are we going to service all these people who are without family docs up here in the north :P .

Again take this in jest, choose carefully and follow your instincts.

Guest waterbottle2

Any body care to comment on choosing between Ottawa medical school and NOMS. I'm in the position and I don't know what to think! Never thought I would even get an acceptance to one let alone two!

ttyl

Guest chenzy

My opinion is that going to NOSM could either be an advantage or dissadvantage, depending on the residency you wish to pursue.

For instance, if you would like to pursue a residency through the northeastern ontario stream,

www.nomec.on.ca/fcontent/.../index.asp

then NOSM might give you an advantage.

No doubt there will be unanticipated glitches, as there were in the interview process.

I think if you are interested in other competitive residencies like derm, opth., plastics etc, then NOSM might be a dissadvantage with respect to electives/research in these specialties.

In my opinion, I think NOSM would be a great opportunity for those who would like to sincerely pursue a generalist carreer in the north, but if you are unsure, I would pick Mac.

Guest opiedog

Oh boy. It is incredibly difficult to sit and watch these conversations take place from the waitlist perspective, and I would like to speak from those who are waiting for ANY school, although from NOSM perspective the waitlist is less likely to move far due to the low class volumes to begin with. Suddenly, I feel like I am on the outside looking in at others, who, while they hold their cards and mull over the game at hand, prevent the lowly waitlister from playing theirs. It all feels somehow cruel, but is a true test to our level of maturity. My maturity with this, I can tell you, is rapidly sliding down to that of a three year olds:(

Congrats to all who have multiple or even single confirmed spots. To the rest of us who are waiting in purgatory, you have my sincere wishes for a speedy answer to the path your life will take!

And let us not forget the families that are sitting on the sidelines too, eagerly hoping to be able to support (physically, financially and emotionally) their panicked and waitlisted family member!

Guest dogpaddler09

Opiedog:

If you'd care to share, where are you on the waitlist? I figure if waitlistees post their ranking on the list and when (not if) they get an offer, it will let other waitlistees know how quickly the list is moving. I'm right with you on the maturity test; this is the third year that I've applied (last two to Mac) and this waitlist experience is getting old (been there, done that). I agree as well with your comments about family and their support. I can sense that it's even harder to sit on the sidelines and be supportive not knowing when you'll be asked to perhaps pack up your life and move at a moment's notice.

This whole experience is doubled because this is the last time I'll be applying - the stress of always planning with an unknown future means that it's difficult to put all your enthusiasm into anything else. Every decision is tempered with the "what if" question; it's just not fair to the rest of my family to continue with this uncertainty. The fact that I seem to be perpetually in the "close but no cigar" category makes it very hard to turn away from this dream but that's what I've decided is the most reasonable thing to do. :|

Archived